• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I try an RTA
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,018
Should I try an RTA
Why get a RTA

We know RDAs are easier to build and wick on. They are very consistent as well. Sub ohm tanks have prebuilt coils and thus most are pretty consistent too. Also it is easy to tailor your build on a RTA or try different types od coils on a sub ohm tank. So with an RTA we approach the cape experience differently. RTAs are limited by their design. But they are convenient. I will mention this once about RBAs. Manufacturers almost design them to be flawed. They want you buying their coils. I have yet to have a RBA that did not have issues. Fell free to disagree.

To clarify:
RBA - rebuildable atomizer. It replaces your coil in a standard subohm tank and let's you think you are using a RTA.
RDA - rebuildable dripping atomizer - a dripper
RDA - rebuidable atomizer. this is the same principle of a RBA but designed for you to build coils
RDTA - rebuildable tank atomizer. this has a juice well below the coil deck.

So why do we use RTAs. Well we can build our own coils on them to a resistance we like. RTAs on the whole have better flavour than your average sub ohm tank and some as good as a RDA. Built correctly an RTA cn offer better wicking and airflow delivery to your coils. But rebuilding an RTA isn’t as easy as rebuilding an RDA. You need to pay attention on an RTA to the spacial constraints, and your wicking technique. Wicking on RTAs is a much trickier than with RDAs, as if you don’t get it quite right you’re liable to get a nasty dry hit. But find the right build and you’ll be happily vaping.

People use RDTAs because the wicking is easier. They try RTAs. They get dry hits or leaking. They say this or that RTA is not very good. RTAs are trial and error. Finding a consistent cape on your RTA takes patience and some RTAs are trickier than others. There are techniques we use so we don’t dump a tank full of juice on our mod. Wicking iOS an art form and so is filling a tank. Fluff your wicks (always), remember to shut down your juice control (if you have one), don't over stuff cotton into the juice holes, make sure your tank is properly sealed … I can go on.

RDTAs really circumvent many of these issues so a lot of folks prefer them. As long as you don’t over stuff the cot ton down into your juice reservoir you are good to go. However, I really like the challenge and flavour off of RTAs. Many RTAs and RDTAs also offer single or dual coil. How do we decide? By testing both options. These devices require patience and testing.

I have owned and tested a vast collection of tanks, mainly RTA's as I prefer them, and a lot of people complain about leaking, but I find once you have wicking down, you won't have any leaks at all, I use RTA's to take out with me all the time with no leakage. I stick them in my pants at work. Almost all leaking and dry hit issues are down to user error. So I hope this is of some help. My message is simple enough. Don't give up on your RTA because it is dry hitting or leaking. Figure out why. Correct the issue. Ask questions. Search online.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
05-01-2017 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
Michael (01-05-2017), Ripnhl2005 (01-05-2017)
Ripnhl2005 Offline
When is this being released?
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 554
RE: Should I try an RTA
Tried RBA? Whatever it is that came with the Big Baby Beast and was technically flawed.

Iron Maiden on order....Doing it and doing it right with RDTA Smile
05-01-2017 05:55 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,836
BBB is an RTA with a disposable coil option.

Paul, I never doubt you, but in my opinion RDTA's deliver superior flavor and vapor due to the placement of the deck. And the elimination of gravity induced leaking. And that you can use it as an RDA if desired without filling the tank.
05-01-2017 06:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (01-05-2017), paulS (01-05-2017)
paulS Offline
FreeCycle

(05-01-2017 06:06 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  BBB is an RTA with a disposable coil option.

Paul, I never doubt you, but in my opinion RDTA's deliver superior flavor and vapor due to the placement of the deck. And the elimination of gravity induced leaking. And that you can use it as an RDA if desired without filling the tank.

Not knocking RDTAs - did not say they were inƒerior to RTAs. Just prefer the challenge of a RTA.

05-01-2017 06:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
TinWhisker (01-05-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,836
And I'm not knocking RTA's either, of course. Supreme and Boreas are fantastic. Just tossin in my two pennies.
05-01-2017 06:14 PM
Robjenko Online
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,000
Paul I hear you and agree with you.. But!! I'm too lazy to sort leaking problems Sleepy and I get bored quickly. However since I got the Limitless Plus the leaking has gone and I'm enthusiastic Dance3Smile

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
05-01-2017 06:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robjenko's post:
ecignut (01-05-2017), TinWhisker (01-05-2017)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Personally I'm a fan of RDTAs since they build exactly like an RDA, so there's not that trial and error involved. With my Limitless Plus, I wick it once and I know it's right because I wick it exactly the same as an RDA except with the cotton going below the deck. But that's just because I'm lazy and don't want to go through the trial and error of finding the right wicking for an RTA. 

I'm pinning this to the FAQ section either way, great info Smile Though personally I prefer RDTA, this is a great write-up with info about RTAs and I like to have different opinions in the FAQ. 
05-01-2017 06:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
FreeCycle

(05-01-2017 06:57 PM)Michael Wrote:  Personally I'm a fan of RDTAs since they build exactly like an RDA, so there's not that trial and error involved. With my Limitless Plus, I wick it once and I know it's right because I wick it exactly the same as an RDA except with the cotton going below the deck. But that's just because I'm lazy and don't want to go through the trial and error of finding the right wicking for an RTA. 

I'm pinning this to the FAQ section either way, great info Smile Though personally I prefer RDTA, this is a great write-up with info about RTAs and I like to have different opinions in the FAQ. 

One thing to note. There are a slew of very high end RTAs ... Pico, Hurricane, Hurricane JR., Calix, Rose, Kayfun, etc. etc. There are very few high end RDTAs. As some know I can be a bit of a snob at times. I think the appeal of a high end RTA is part of my enthusiasm for them.

05-01-2017 07:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Michael (01-05-2017)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,517
I like the clones - bring on the clones. I would love to get some cloned cotton for my clones and some cloned juice - it would be fun making cloned vapour.
05-01-2017 08:08 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
Michael (01-05-2017)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,482
I can point you at a bunch of juice clones recipes. A really good clone of any Five Pawns juice requires the addition of diacetyl orr worse BTW. They do - then lie about it.

GC-MS doesn't lie though. Unlike the purveyors of Five Pawns juices.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
05-01-2017 08:39 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (01-05-2017), Michael (01-05-2017), Robjenko (01-05-2017)