Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I Upgrade?
Shamanism Offline

Likes Given: 0
Should I Upgrade?
HI! New vaper here, started on July 3rd. It's been a GREAT deterrent to quitting smoking. I purchased a kit from the STORE (overpriced), the Kanger Topbox 75W mini starter kit with the toptank mini and USB charger and RBA and a whole bunch of weird coils. I've been sticking to the 0.5 ohm coils and generally vape at 22-25 watts, sometimes going to 30 but NEVER above (always a bad taste).

Besides the occassional bad/dry (not good with terms here), I just open the top of the tank and let it bubble a few times and then it's good to go. No real problems there. A coil, if taken care of (sometimes a q-tip right down the mouth hole to get rid of excess gunk) lasts me roughly 1-2 weeks. One has lasted three.

Flavor is OKAY. it's not great, some hits blow me away while subsequent ones are less and less satisfying.

I don't mind the mod at all, in fact I LOVE it. such a great starter kit. But... besides flavor which is prob tank related (don't really wanna upgrade tank yet, broke the glass once and bought 10 replacements LOL also have 5 1.2 ohm coils to try out and 4 .5 left), my main issue is battery life.

Being a single mod, and being that I only use USB, my tank doesn't last long at all. Between waiting at bus stops to and from work, chain-smoking on my 2 15-minute breaks, it's nearly always at 10-15 percent battery life at the end of it; though I'm making that number up because sometimes the battery symbol jumps. Also, I'm almost done with my juice because it's nearing the top of the cotton holes.

I purchased a "brown turd" as this one guy I met on the internet calls it lol, LGHG2. I charged that with the USB charger just in case I needed another battery.

Now, I've never actually brought my battery anywhere because I'm afraid it will explode. I have my phone, car keys, or change in pockets at any given time and just don't want to risk it. It's hard enough carrying a 30 ml bottle, vape, wallet, and phone on a daily basis.

So basically
TL;DR started with a kanger topbox mini starter kit and wondering if or WHAT I should get next as a mod that I plan to have for a LONG time? Current mod is wattage and temperature variable.

I can keep this one around if I just take an extra bettery, because buying a new 2-battery mod automatically also means an external charger. I don't want to spend $120 on something and think of it as not even as good as my kanger. It has a shut off feature which I love, is lightweight (I know 2 battery mods are bulkier and heavier by default). Love the USB capability. The button doesn't stick which is cool and a few times it did, but shut off because of the safety feature. The tank leaks a little here and there so ti's bound to happen.
30-09-2016 03:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shamanism's post:
Fatboy (09-30-2016)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,109
RE: Should I Upgrade?
First off the Toptank mini is a decent tank. It has decent flavor too. If you get the right coils - try atom vapes gold claptons - it vapes just fine. Be aware that as a new vaper your taste buds are still shot. The RBA deck on the Kanger is a little tricky but also not terrible. Battery life is a different issue. I use one battery mods. I carry special cases for my batteries. It's no big deal. You can silicone battery sleeves too to protect and carry batteries.

All that said a two battery mod is better for sure. And now there are quite few small ones out there. I love my minikin 1.5. If I was to purchase another two battery regualted mod (I am a mech guy at heart) it would be the new Alien kit by Smok that has superior reviews and comes with a kick ass tank - The baby beast tank is as good as it gets ... but you will be vaping way hifgher than 25 watts, lol. Here is the alien kit ...

http://www.smoktech.com/kit/alien-kit

In the end - don't rush. Take your time and pick something with decent reviews that you like the look of. If you like vaping at 30 watts then keep the tank you have and just by the mod - the Alien is nice and small for a two battery, IMHO. Also these two battery mods like a one battery mod CAN be charged internally but amy mod SHOULD be charged externally. Get a charger.

Oh yes - WELCOME.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 03:37 AM by paulS.)
30-09-2016 03:36 AM
thegreatkwyjibo Offline

Likes Given: 7
Check out the reuleaux. Tons of people have em (including myself) and love em. Little bulky though.
30-09-2016 03:49 AM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,270
If you're happy with the setup you have get a battery box to carry your spare around safely

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
30-09-2016 04:16 AM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
(30-09-2016 04:16 AM)Robjenko Wrote:  If you're happy with the setup you have get a battery box to carry your spare around safely
Welcome to the forum Sham. As long as you are careful with your batteries, there is nothing to worry about. I carry mine in a battery case. You can find them for about $0.50 each on Amazon. I also use them to keep my batteries married since I have two cell mods. Used together, charged together, and stored together.

If you get a chance, check out the great FAQ section on this forum.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 04:34 AM by bibliora.)
30-09-2016 04:28 AM
Odinxcore Offline

Likes Given: 100
/should/ you upgrade?
depends.
Are you /interested/ in upgrading?
I'm going to need to upgrade, my mod at least soon, out of necessity.
Which, will open more options for what tanks I can try out.

Is that tank sufficient for your needs?
How's the mod perform?
Does it last long enough for you?
Similar to what others have said, double-18650 mods are pretty much a standard now.

High Wattage capability, and longer battery life at medium to low wattages.

[Image: x6XSe3U.jpg]
30-09-2016 04:34 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Welcome to the forum! For my two cents worth, I'd always recommend a two-cell mod since you'll get much better battery life and also have the option to go to higher wattage if you ever want to in the future. But you're right, it's a lot of expense since you need the new mod, a charger, and new 18650s since you can't use the ones you already have. For any mods that take more than one cell, you need to keep them married. That's what bibliora mentioned, the pair needs to be charged together, used together, never separated to make sure they are exactly the same. 

In the meantime you can get a "battery condom" (rubber battery case) to carry your spare cell in. 

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Kanger tanks. For better flavor, I'd recommend upgrading that to maybe an Arctic tank, Herakles, Atlantis, Triton, Crown... There's a lot of good tanks out there that blow the Kanger away. But like Paul said, you're still pretty new and your taste is probably still messed up from smoking, so you might not even notice the difference with a new tank yet. In the end, it's up to you when you decide to upgrade. 
30-09-2016 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (10-06-2016), Fatboy (09-30-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Drink more water.

Carry a spare battery.

Buy a decent charger instead of using the USB port.

You're good.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
30-09-2016 11:00 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
bibliora (10-05-2016), Michael (10-01-2016)
Shamanism Offline

Likes Given: 0
Thanks for all of the comments!

perhaps until I decide on a mod (Laisimo L1, rx 2/3, that alien kit looks amazing, Kbox 120 or 200, or something else) maybe getting a charger would be helpful as I have 2 batteries. Also a plastic case. I been regularly using an Efest purple one I got at the store, and bought the HG2.

Does using a charger somehow make the battery last longer? I'm used to as it's around half life to put it into my USB in my computer then vaping while charging. Been doing so since day 1.

My taste buds are getting better, even had the infamous vaper's tongue recently lol. Smelled coffee grounds, upped the dental hygiene, have been drinking more water and it SEEMS the mouth ulcers have stopped being so frequent (genetic predisposition plus the quitting of cigs).

I do have some really good tasting hits, but maybe they are dulled out due to whatever reason. That's possible. I'm still learning how to prime to be honest and I think a lot of my burned hits have been because of that.

Before I go and spend up to 60 on a mod, 48 on 3-set batteries (maybe a 3 battery monster mod would suffice), up to 35 on a charger, and up to 40 on a tank I should get used to this here and play with it. If I like the RBA maybe I could figure out an RDTA who knows.

Is that tank sufficient for your needs?
On a normal day, I'm puffing at the bus stop, my two 15 minute breaks, and going home and my battery is usually dead. The tank is lasting more than the coils. Out of habit I will twist the top off the tank to allow more saturation in the coil (bubbles from the coil) and take a dry puff or two. I do have a problem with leaking, but I'm realizing I'm over-priming the coils. I heard it's a problem with this tank. I keep my mod/tank combo in my pocket altogether.

How's the mod perform?
I like it. The button only stuck on me once and I only noticed because I say the error message.

Does it last long enough for you?
Since I'm figuring the times I'm at the bus stop and my two 15 minute breaks, just about an hour when fully charged. I always make sure to take it off the USB charger when I see it flashing. I chain vape though when I have it turned on. It goes straight to 3-5 second hits, a few at a time, then I put it back and restart.

I'm definitely smoking more at home than I am when I'm out and about, but there are times when I'm out at friend's houses and I have to resort to plugging it in and charging it. I don't know if it's damaging the mod that I 9 times out of 10 charge it standing upright. One recommendation was to charge it sideways but sometimes it leaks because I always keep it on highest air flow.

If I were to get a new mod, I would want to make sure it can withstand being on my person all the time when I'm not home. Sometimes I'm running to the next bus stop or skipping waiting and running/walking the 2 miles to work from the last bus stop within 30 minutes. That baby beast I heard has leak issues, and I heard it's more of a stay-at-home tank but I'm a NOOB at this stuff.

Again, appreciate the comments yall!

Also, what is a good 4 bay battery that is on par with the Luc 4? (Friend has a Laisimo L1 and Luc4 battery charger).
05-10-2016 05:18 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,057
Nitecore i4 has served me exceptionally well. When I was looking for a decent charger, folks here recommended it - one of the best recommendations from this site! Smile
05-10-2016 09:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
bibliora (10-06-2016), TinWhisker (10-05-2016)