Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SUCCESS!!
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
RE: SUCCESS!!
It's not hard, just tedious.  I actually started writing up a how-to, before deciding that it was way too long and confusing without pics or a video, lol.  Maybe I'll make a vid.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
28-04-2015 09:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Haze Kraze Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 8
I never understand this coil thing Undecided
28-04-2015 01:29 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

What would you like to know?  Anything you ask here, plenty of people will be willing to answer!

The basics is this - not counting the systems that don't use coils, because they're going the way of the DoDo anyway - the coil is the heating element that turns your juice into vapor.  The wick material draws the juice into the coil, the coil heats up and vaporizes the juice, you inhale the vapor by drawing air across the whole assembly when you inhale.

Because vapes use battery power to the the coils, the whole deal is just a straightforward application of Ohm's Law.  Wattage is the measurement of heat energy in this case; we vary the resistance (ohms) in order to change the relationship between voltage and current to obtain those watts.  Lower resistance (hence "sub-ohming" - less than 1 ohm resistance) allows us to get more wattage from the same voltage.  This means more vapor!

But one must also consider airflow and wicking.  Without adequate airflow, the vapor will burn your mouth when you inhale.  Without adequate wicking, you get dry hits - the bane of every vaper's existence, LOL.

So when designing a coil setup, single, dual, or more - you are taking several things into consideration.  The placement and size of the air holes. The number of posts and their placement.  The size of the deck building area.  The total wicking capability and/or capacity.  And of course, the target resistance, as not all battery packs (mods) will safely handle resistances below certain points.

The tools in the builders arsenal to work with these factors are - wire gauge, coil size, number of winds in the coil, series vs parallel wiring, coil placement, and various wicking materials and techniques.

As complicated as that sounds, it's not as bad as you think once you understand how the variables interact.  A "good" coil "designer" is someone with a good understanding of all these variables as they relate to the equipment at hand and the desired result.  A willingness to modify the equipment itself allows one to take it up a notch; many RDA (direct drip decks) users enlarge their air holes, as RDA's offer the ability to create massive amounts of vapor.  In my case, I opened up the wicking channels and even drilled new ones, for a deck that I believed could support plenty of air and power but was limited by juice flow to the wicks.

Read that a few times and ask questions.  Smile    

(This post was last modified: 28-04-2015 08:32 PM by Almost Jaded.)
28-04-2015 08:29 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
BOB (11-20-2015), Michael (04-29-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Very nice crash course there, Jaded! Do you mind if I copy that to the FAQ section of the forum? Of course with credit to you Smile
29-04-2015 04:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-29-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

I didn't think it contained enough real information for a sticky, but if you like it - feel free...

29-04-2015 06:02 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

(29-04-2015 06:02 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  I didn't think it contained enough real information for a sticky, but if you like it - feel free...

Yeah, but it's a good start for people who don't know much about how all the various parts work together. I'll write some more in-depth stuff on the various topics you covered and say "for more information, click here" or something like that. Smile
29-04-2015 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Sure.  I'd be happy to write something more in depth if you like.  I've written tons of info posts for car audio sites and whatnot over the years, lol.

I wrote all the stickies for this forum (where I'm still a Mod after all these years somehow, lol) except for the two about wiring diagrams - http://www.mx6.com/forums/audio-electronics/

When I decide to do a write up, I don't mess around, LOL!

29-04-2015 06:13 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I just skimmed your write-up about Ohm's Law, good stuff Smile 

I'll PM you with some ideas I've got for future FAQ section posts... Tomorrow morning. Lol it's 2:30 am here and I'm too tired to think about in-depth stuff at the moment.
29-04-2015 06:25 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-29-2015)