Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Refilling JUUL Pods
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,399
Refilling JUUL Pods
Some of you may know, I got a Juul recently and I have to say, I'm loving it. The Juul is by far the best "cig-a-like" ecig I've ever tried, and really gives the feel of a cigarette with the obvious health benefits of vaping. The only problem: Juul Pods (refill cartridges) are too expensive for my use. I was a pack-a-day smoker, and I've grown into a heavy vaper, so a 0.7ml refill only lasts me a day or two, and they cost $15 USD for a four-pack. 

So I decided to try to refill the Juul Pods and see what happens. 

I found a video on YouTube showing a guy refilling his, but he didn't describe what he was doing and it wasn't a very clear video, and also the background music was AWFUL so I decided to make my own guide for refilling Juul Pods. It's a very easy process once you get the hang of it, so I wanted to describe my tips in this how-to. 

First things first: use an empty Pod, especially if you're going to change flavors, since it's much easier to clean. The Juul is temp-controlled, so you don't have to worry about getting a dry hit or messing anything up by vaping it until it's totally empty. Also, it's a good idea to use a Pod that held a similar flavor. For example, don't put a Vanilla Custard juice in the Menthol Pod. The flavor will hang around ever so slightly, so it's better to use a Pod with a similar flavor to the juice you're putting in it. 

[Image: 1.jpg]

This first thing to notice: on the sides of the black part, there's a little rectangle hole (pictured above). That's where the cap snaps onto the tank. The tank (clear part) sticks out just a little bit right there to hold the cap on, and it's really a pain trying to get that off without breaking the black part. However, the black part is stronger than it looks, so you can use a little force to get it off. I found it worked best using a fingernail to pry the black part over the latch on one side, then hold it in place while you pop it off the other side. It'll take a few tries, so the best thing is to be patient. 

[Image: 2.jpg]

Once you've got the cap off, congratulations. You're 90% done. Seriously, getting the cap off is the only part of this process that's even remotely difficult. The next step is to remove the little black rubber piece. Just grab some tweezers and pinch it, it's rubber so it'll be fine if it gets squeezed a little too hard. 

[Image: 3.jpg]

Here's what it looks like once you get the black rubber piece out. By the way, be sure to put the rubber piece in the same way it came out. One side is flat, while the other side has indentations. The flat side goes down. 

[Image: 4.jpg]

To clean the Pod, just roll up the corner of a Kleenex or paper towel, and it'll absorb most of the juice by capillary action. It's kind of fun to watch the juice snaking its way up the tissue. 

Side note: I'm going to try rinsing it out with warm water and letting it air dry, just to see if that works any better, but this is the way I did it the first time and I know it works. I was afraid the water might mess something up. I'll try with water and let you know if it works. 

[Image: 5.jpg]

The next step is to fill it up with juice. You'll want to use high PG juice, and use a high nicotine concentration. The Juul Pods have 50 mg/ml when you buy them. You'll also want to use juice with a high flavor concentration, since the Juul doesn't produce giant clouds and so you'll get less flavor from it than from a normal ecig. 

I tried using juice that was 100% PG, and while it tasted good and I felt the nicotine hit, it produced very little vapor, so I'd recommend using a bit of VG to make a little bigger clouds. I used some 50/50 juice in another cartridge and it worked great. 

[Image: 6.jpg]

Once you've filled it with juice, put the rubber piece back on. Remember, flat side down. 

[Image: 7.jpg]

And then pop the cap back on, making sure it snaps into place on both sides. 

And you're done! As you can see, refilling a Juul Pod is a really simple process if you know what you're doing, and can be done in just a few minutes. As a disclaimer, be very careful when you're working with high nicotine juice. Nicotine can be absorbed through your skin, so you should use gloves and caution. Clean up spills, keep it away from children, etc. The high nicotine content means it can quickly give you a headache or make you dizzy if you get very much of it on your skin.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean you'll be able to use a Juul Pod forever. Eventually the coil will go bad or the wick, and then you'll just have to buy a new Pod. But refilling them will help you get a little extra life out of your Pods and help save money while also allowing you to use whatever flavors you want. Good luck! 
09-07-2016 06:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (07-09-2016), Don (07-10-2016), ecignut (08-07-2016), Fatboy (07-09-2016), gmaines1 (01-22-2018)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: Refilling JUUL Pods
Great how to Michael.
09-07-2016 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (07-09-2016), Michael (07-09-2016), zeg1969 (11-15-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Just wanted to add a note here, for myself and for anyone else mixing their own juice for a Juul. 

My problem has been getting high enough nicotine to replicate the juice that comes in the Pods. It's 50mg/ml, which is really high, especially considering I usually use 50mg in VG as a base, and the juice for a Juul Pod needs to be mostly PG to be thin enough to work properly. The Juul also needs a bit more flavoring than most juice, since it produces very little vapor. 

I do have a little bit of PG based nicotine in 72mg, so I did a whole bunch of math to make it work. But the juice does need to have some VG: I tried some juice made with just PG, and it didn't produce any visible vapor even though I could taste the flavor and feel the nicotine buzz. 

I wanted to make a 15ml bottle of juice, so I could refill several Pods. So that means:

15ml * 50mg/ml = 750mg total nicotine in the bottle

After playing around with way too many combinations of numbers and percentages, I decided it'd be a lot easier if I just doubled the batch size to make it easier to measure. So for a total of 1500mg of nicotine in a 30ml bottle, here's what I finally came up with:

17ml PG-based nicotine
5.5ml VG-based nicotine
4ml PG-based flavoring
3.5ml pure VG

This equals out to 13% flavoring, which seemed about like a "just right" amount for the Juul, and a final PG/VG ratio of 70PG/30VG. I think the nicotine is slightly off due to rounding, but nothing major. It's not like my syringes are accurate to .1ml anyway. 

For this time around, I used plain tobacco flavoring. My thinking was that since the Juul feels so much like a cigarette, and I really enjoy the tobacco flavored Juul pods, a plain tobacco refill should be good. So far, I think I was wrong. I've been vaping it for a little while now and it seems the particular tobacco flavor I'm using just doesn't really work well without being mixed with other flavors. Oh well, no big deal. It's not disgusting or anything, just not as good as the pre-filled tobacco Juul Pods. 

But the important thing is that this seems to be just the right amount of nicotine and PG/VG ratio for the Juul. If I used a different flavor, I'm sure it would be great. Next time I'll try using my vanilla custard concentrate (I pre-mix some of my favorite juice flavors so it's easier/faster to make later) and see how that works. The flavor is a little weak, I'm not sure if that's just because I didn't use enough or if I need to let the juice steep for a bit before filling. 

So I guess the long story short here is if you want to refill Juul Pods, use a high level of nicotine in a PG base, and aim for 70PG/30VG in the final result, with around 15-20% flavoring. 
05-08-2016 12:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
ecignut (08-07-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
Did you actually check what is in there? It is actually better for you to refill the units.
The original cartridges contain a turbo-nicotine similar to what Big Tobacco & Co. are using. I would not vape benzioc acid which what is in there.
05-08-2016 12:55 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like peter-k's post:
gentlydoingit* (08-05-2016), Michael (08-06-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

I didn't know that, Peter, thanks! I haven't done too much research into it, I know they use some kind of "Nicotine salts" according to their website but I never thought to look further than that. I'm sure it's still much safer than smoking, but I'm glad I'm refilling them. Cheaper that way too Tongue
06-08-2016 02:00 PM
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
You are welcome Michael.
There is this German chemist Vanderzart on Youtube, I got it from him. I assume if he'd talk English the vaping world would change a little.
07-08-2016 03:52 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like peter-k's post:
ecignut (08-07-2016), Michael (08-07-2016)
zeg1969 Offline

Likes Given: 1
After disassembling the pod I use one of my ultrasonic cleaners with just plain tap water to remove the residue and usually the taste from the pods. Personally I think 50/50 pg/vg with a 24mg fluid works out pretty good.
15-11-2016 01:18 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like zeg1969's post:
bibliora (11-16-2016), Michael (11-16-2016)
aphex242 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Mr. Salt-E makes nicotine salt vape juice and it works great.  The flavor is a little on the weak side, but you can buy it in 45mg which is darn close to the nicotine level in Juul pods.  I've been using it and it works great.

I don't work for them or anything, I just saw someone post about it on Reddit and decided to give it a shot.  It works awesome.  Just make sure you don't put it in a sub-ohm vape because you'll kill yourself with nicotine.  lol
22-11-2016 10:08 PM
Walleyeslayer Offline

Likes Given: 0
Naked 100 came out with juice for the Juul pods. My order will arrive tomorrow. I will post my thoughts after a refill. Been refilling for a couple weeks now with Mr. Salt-e. Been great. Trying naked 100 for the 50mg/30ml nicotine and the flavors that sound kick ass!!
20-12-2017 03:14 AM
gmaines1 Offline

Likes Given: 1
What would be the best juice to use other than flavor?
22-01-2018 11:36 AM