Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recent Vaping Disasters
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
Recent Vaping Disasters
Okay, so recently in news from all over, vaping is taking several major hits.  Three events this week have brought vaping to the forefront of the media...and not in a good way.

First, in Alabama, a proposal to tax e-liquids is going to be voted on.  This isn't just a tax...it's $.25 per ml tax.  Now, I don't live in Alabama, but it's only 7 miles from my house in Florida.  This will definitely increase business in my shop, but the shops in Alabama are screwed IF this bill passes.

Second, the city of Asheville, NC has banned vaping altogether.  Buying, selling, or even owning vaping gear can lead to fines and a short stint in jail.

Finally, in Arlington, TX a man is suing a local vape shop because his 18650 vented IN HIS POCKET!  The man is suing this shop for $1 million after an LG 18650 battery vented in his pocket burning his thighs and scrotum.  Honestly, this is both the guy's fault and the shops.  The guy for not asking and the shop for not educating the guy on the dangers of Lithium batteries.

Please, please, please keep it safe, educate, and stay in the loop on what they're trying to do to vaping in your area.
13-03-2015 03:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Nihilum's post:
BOB (03-15-2015), Robjenko (03-13-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Recent Vaping Disasters
I really, REALLY hope that tax in Alabama doesn't pass. There are some great juices made in AL, and a couple of awesome shops that I like to visit in my travels. The Asheville thing is also very concerning to me, since I drive through that area about once a month and I'm not keen on the idea of having to hide my vape. It seems the war has finally hit close to home. Thanks for sharing this information, I really hope the letter writing campaign will have some impact, and I hope the idiots passing this legislation will wise up soon. And the Texas thing... Seriously, suing the shop because of his own stupidity? It reminds me of the lady who sued McDonald's because her coffee burned her. You'd think they wouldn't have to put a "CAUTION - CONTENTS ARE HOT" label on coffee, but some people are just too dumb...
13-03-2015 05:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Robjenko Online
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,123
Thanks for bringing these stories to everyone's attention ! What the hell is going on the first two make no sense.. We need to educate the people who make and pass these ridiculous laws about e-cigs and there potential benefits AngryIreful3

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
13-03-2015 07:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
Michael (03-13-2015)
Nihilum Offline

Big tobacco companies are responsible for 99% of the push to ban vaping.  Keep that in mind.  Those companies dump millions into the pockets of politicians to get their way.
20-03-2015 02:23 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Nihilum's post:
Almost Jaded (04-12-2015), gwenlarue (03-25-2015)
gwenlarue Offline

Likes Given: 4
As people switch from cigarettes to vaping the government is going to be losing the tobacco tax dollars.  They will try to figure out a way to tax vaping if they can't outlaw it.
25-03-2015 03:51 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(25-03-2015 03:51 AM)gwenlarue Wrote:  As people switch from cigarettes to vaping the government is going to be losing the tobacco tax dollars.  They will try to figure out a way to tax vaping if they can't outlaw it.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I say let them tax it. By having tax on e-cigs, the government will have more incentive to keep the e-cig market alive, since if they ban vaping they'd also be losing income. Of course some proposed taxes have been unjust, effectively banning vaping by taxing it way too much, but I don't think small taxes would be that big of a deal. I'd happily pay a bit more as long as I can be assured that the products will not be taken off the market. 

Like I said, it's probably not a popular opinion, but I try to be a realist, and I'd much rather have taxes instead of bans if I had to choose between the two.
25-03-2015 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
BOB (03-25-2015)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
The trouble with tax is the black market 
The juice is easy to make and will put a lot of shops out of buisness 
I didn't buy tobacco from shops for years I used to buy smuggled tobacco cheap 
Most people I knew did the same 
If they start taxing ecigs and juice everything will go underground 

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
25-03-2015 10:23 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like BOB's post:
jlfliberty (04-17-2015), Robjenko (04-18-2015)
bcfos Offline

Likes Given: 9
The Alabama issue died after media attention but mark my word it will be back since the state is in a 300+ million dollar hole in the general budget..
04-04-2015 02:37 AM
Nihilum Offline

(04-04-2015 02:37 AM)bcfos Wrote:  The Alabama issue died after media attention but mark my word it will be back since the state is in a 300+ million dollar hole in the general budget..
Yes the issue was quashed, but Alabama is desperate...so I agree it will be back.
04-04-2015 03:45 AM
Breazy_Com Offline

Likes Given: 32
I believe The Twin Cities (Minneapolis an Minnesota) added a 45% tax to E-Juice
15-04-2015 12:52 AM