Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rebuildable but not replacing coil pack
shadowxsx Offline

Likes Given: 12
Rebuildable but not replacing coil pack
I am looking for an atomizer that is user rebuild-able without buying a coil pack.

I know there are "drippers" where you can use cotton and a wire to build a new coil, but I am not looking for a dripper.

I started vaping using cheap batteries and cheap tanks, they worked good enough but the company/industry kept changing sizes of the threading requiring a new battery before the battery would not charge. So I got a V2 pro and it is ok, just the tanks are proprietary and last a week to 2 at most and $9 a tank is more than I want to keep paying.

I worked with a guy who said he rebuilt his coil (not replaced it) and all he used was steel craft wire and some cotton, so that is what I am looking for...

Any ideas?
21-11-2015 12:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,265
RE: Rebuildable but not replacing coil pack
OK, so I don't know what a v2 pro is, but the fact you need to buy disposable tanks suggests a pen type battery?
Given that assumption.. I don't know of any rebuildable tanks that would work well with one of those, some will fit I guess but you might be better off buying a new battery (mod). Something like an eleaf i stick maybe.
Most threads are standardised now, 510 or ego seem most common. All the new rebuildable tanks (rta's) are 510, as is the istick, so pairing is easy and you'll gain the extra cost back by not buying tanks every week Wink .

Rather than throw loads of info at you now, your best bet would be to find a local dedicated vape shop and discuss your needs with them, try out some products, juices etc and see what suits best. If there are non local drop back in here and myself or someone else will give you all the detail you'll need

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
21-11-2015 01:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
TinWhisker (11-21-2015)
shadowxsx Offline

(21-11-2015 01:53 AM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  OK, so I don't know what a v2 pro is, but the fact you need to buy disposable tanks suggests a pen type battery?
Given that assumption.. I don't know of any rebuildable tanks that would work well with one of those, some will fit I guess but you might be better off buying a new battery (mod). Something like an eleaf i stick maybe.
Most threads are standardised now, 510 or ego seem most common. All the new rebuildable tanks (rta's) are 510, as is the istick, so pairing is easy and you'll gain the extra cost back by not buying tanks every week Wink .

Rather than throw loads of info at you now, your best bet would be to find a local dedicated vape shop and discuss your needs with them, try out some products, juices etc and see what suits best. If there are non local drop back in here and myself or someone else will give you all the detail you'll need
Thanks... The V2 pro is a pen type as you assumed. I do not care if it is a pen type or whatever type as it is all proprietary with the v2 (brand specific and only available through them). the charger literally just died so I can no longer use it after this charge dies unless I buy a new one for half the price of the unit.

I want a tank that I can disassemble and rebuild using wire and cotton like the guy I used to work with said he could (if he was not lying).

I have not had a cigarette in over 7 months thanks to vaping and saved me tons, I really want something like a dripper type that simple steel craft wire and a wick (cotton or whatever) I can build my own coil and not have to "drip" every 2-3 hits off of (like my co worker uses currently with her dripper)

I really do not know if they exist beyond being told so by a former co-worker for non-drip type...

If they do not so be it, I would appreciate a good recommendation towards one that exists. Rather than being lied to

As I said I was using a cheap brand, I bought new atomizers (the tops for them) after 2 months of use and the brands tops did not fit. I bought alternate brand tops and they did, and I was told the tops changed size on the threading. So I bought a new battery and after the atomizer had to be replaced was told "it fits" and demanded them to put it on in the shop and they were dumbfounded because it did not fit.

The issue is I was spending almost as much on coils a month as I was smoking a pack a day, due to cheap crap coils. The factory coil would last 6-7 weeks and the replacements a week at most (at worst a day before tasting like gym socks), so they were junk. Then a second replacement later the top no longer fit anymore, not sure what it was but I was told the "standard changed" so either the company li8ked ****ing consumers over or something else
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2015 06:33 AM by shadowxsx.)
21-11-2015 06:12 AM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,110
Hi shadowxsx. Welcome to TVF there are lots of Rebuildable Tanks (RTA's ) on the market. I would suggest you look at some reviews on YouTube there are hundreds. Myself I would buy an Eleaf istick and a Eleaf Lemo RTA. You will also need kanthal wire, cotton, ohm meter amongst other things. Check out the Atomizer Discussion on here http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-Atomizer-Discussion
I hope this helps

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
21-11-2015 07:49 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robjenko's post:
shadowxsx (11-21-2015), TinWhisker (11-21-2015)
shadowxsx Offline

(21-11-2015 07:49 AM)Robjenko Wrote:  Hi shadowxsx. Welcome to TVF there are lots of Rebuildable Tanks (RTA's ) on the market. I would suggest you look at some reviews on YouTube there are hundreds.  Myself I would  buy an Eleaf istick and a Eleaf Lemo RTA. You will also need kanthal wire, cotton, ohm meter amongst other things. Check out the Atomizer Discussion on here http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-Atomizer-Discussion
I hope this helps
TYVM!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for Idea

To be honest I will probably go with what you posted as I really do not want to dig through page upon page in the forums and the price on the tank is on the easily affordable side too..

Did not know about the kanthal wire, my co worker either lied about what she uses or is using the wrong kind (which knowing her is the most likely lol). A 25 foot spool is not badly priced either so your post is very informative Smile

Unless some one posts about another that is within that type / price range

Guess today's "job" is to figure out how to build a charger system for my V2, I have already figured out how the wires (only a positive and negative) go so now I just need to rig some kind of charger base I can set it into
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2015 03:12 PM by shadowxsx.)
21-11-2015 03:02 PM
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,184
Youde Zephryus is a good one, too. Pretty decent sized buildable deck. There's a Zeprhyus v2 coming out that is supposed to improve on the already great Zephryus.

But as Robjenko said, there are a lot of them out there. You'll be fine using his choice, or using mine, or taking your time and researching the myriad options available. And a visit to a local vape shop to test drive some gear is a wise bit of advice.
21-11-2015 03:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
shadowxsx (11-21-2015)
shadowxsx Offline

(21-11-2015 03:05 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Youde Zephryus is a good one, too. Pretty decent sized buildable deck. There's a Zeprhyus v2 coming out that is supposed to improve on the already great Zephryus.

But as Robjenko said, there are a lot of them out there. You'll be fine using his choice, or using mine, or taking your time and researching the myriad options available. And a visit to a local vape shop to test drive some gear is a wise bit of advice.
Thanks for the names to both tanks those were helpful.

Not sure which tank I will go with now, as a single coil is enough for me i may go with gentlydoingit's suggestion.

I am new to this kind of tank and both replies showed me exactly what I was looking for.

The cheap ones I was using were etron, and they keep changing the thread size. They are what I would call introductory level vaporizers @ $15 for the battery and tank. But they did allow me to save $120 a month

The issue I have is I am newer to vaping in terms of brands, so I had no clue whatsoever to even look up. My boss at work keeps trying to push me to the type of tank she is using (spegeli or something like that) and she can not understand I do not want to replace coils that cost $20 a pop like she does (just paying for a brand name there).

Atleast now I have options thanks to coming here, and those options are what I was looking for Good

P.S. the changing of threading is not the inside standard, but the outside threads that the top style screws onto. When I got a new tank that was etron brand even the people at the "smokeshop" were dumbfounded that the brands tank would not go on.
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2015 05:01 PM by shadowxsx.)
21-11-2015 04:47 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,232
It's sadly a common marketing tactic... make all connections proprietary in order to force you to use their hardware only.

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found some of the help you were looking for Good
21-11-2015 06:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
shadowxsx (11-22-2015)
shadowxsx Offline

Odd how I have been building coils for electromagnets since I was a kid, is relevant to building a coil for vaping. Only differences are the coil is used to heat a wick of some sort vs using the coil to induce an magnetic field.
22-11-2015 06:27 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,265
Funny you should say that. I've often wondered about the effect of induction heating could have in a vape. Watch the video and tell me it doesn't remind you of something Smile http://youtu.be/0HdbKKvOiWU magnetismtastic

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
22-11-2015 12:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Almost Jaded (12-07-2015), shadowxsx (11-22-2015)