Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Really Really Basic Questions
LAWoman Offline

Likes Given: 5
Really Really Basic Questions
Hello everyone, newbie here but not to vaping. I have been vaping Mystic-style cigalikes for a few years. Recently I decided to get a tank style, the Blow One. (The name makes me laugh. What can I say...big middle schooler over here.)

Anyway, I'm wondering...

1. I've tried a few basic tanks before. They always had a horrid burned taste. I have heard about "saturating" the wick. In the Blow One vid it shows the woman turning the tank upside down to saturate it. Does that sound about right? Should I do this every time I vape or just the first time or just when I notice a burned taste...?

2. If I do get a burned taste, have I ruined the tank and now I need to buy a new one? (Not battery but the area where the ejuice goes?)

3. How often should I need to buy a new tank?

I hope I'm getting the terminology right. Thanks for any info.
28-04-2015 03:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
RE: Really Really Basic Questions
Greetings LAWoman, welcome to TVF. I haven't use that style of tank in a long time, but i do remember tilting it a bit to get the wicks to absorb the juice down into the coil. I never had to do it more than the initial time just to prime it and get the wicks saturated. The rate for replacing the tanks depends entirely on the frequency in which you vape. I, personally, remember having to change the tank once a week. Just because you get a dry hit once or twice doesn't, necessarily, mean that the tank is ruined. It usually means that there was no juice present for the coil to burn in place of the wicking. I hope that you can get a point where you enjoy your vaping experience with that setup. If you find yourself really enjoying it, you should look into upgrading to a newer setup. All the folks here will love to share their opinions on your different options. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
28-04-2015 03:33 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
LAWoman (04-28-2015)
LAWoman Offline

Thank you very much for the advice and for the warm welcome, Cloud_Z3ro. Smile I appreciate it! Who knows, one day perhaps I'll no longer be so cheap, but I can tell you I stuck with my Mystic batteries (and refillable carts) for three years. Yes, three years. I'm a bit of a trailer park vaper. Popcorm2 But who knows...I'm open-minded!

Thanks again!
28-04-2015 03:46 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like LAWoman's post:
BOB (04-28-2015), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-28-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
In the beginning, I also stuck with inexpensive pieces, and was happy with what I had.  But then I started adding up the cost of replacement cartomizers and coils, etc.  Honestly - spend the $80-120 to get a real setup and learn to wind and wick your own coils.  Within a couple months it's paid for itself, and you'll enjoy it SO much more in the meantime!

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
28-04-2015 03:54 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
LAWoman (04-28-2015), Michael (04-28-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
Haha i started that way myself. My first attempt at e-cigs were the Blu brand. There's nothing wrong with being cheap. Money is a fleeting thing indeed. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to have the latest and greatest gear. As long as your setup is enjoyable to you then refer the age old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it.".  Though, Jaded does have a sound point on the cost of replacements.
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2015 03:56 AM by CL0UD_Z3R0.)
28-04-2015 03:54 AM
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,354
Welcome to the forum Smile

Like the fellas above, I started with a Blu starter kit, but those cartridges were so damn expensive!!! I've actually got a whole blog series here on the forum where I talked about the various upgrades I've gotten along the way, and for a time I used an eGo with disposable tanks too. 

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new battery and tank, I'd suggest you check out the Kanger T3D. It's a low end inexpensive tank with replaceable coils that cost about the same as the disposable tanks or maybe a little less, but it will give you a much better vaping experience. The tank itself costs about $5-10 depending on where you get it, and the coils are around $2 each and should last a week or two. But that's not necessarily the best option...

What I would do if I were you is start a savings jar, just put your loose change in there every now and then, and if you're like me, you'll have saved up a good bit in just a few weeks. That way you've got a little extra cash to get yourself something nicer. The best setup for someone who isn't cloud chasing is (in my opinion) an iStick 30W with a Nautilus Mini tank. They're a little more expensive than some other things you could get, but this is the kind of setup that you'll never have to replace unless you really want to. It's all available online for much cheaper than you'd pay in a store. 

Just my two cents, of course like Cloud said if it works for you, then there's no reason to mess with it Smile
28-04-2015 04:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-28-2015), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-28-2015), LAWoman (04-28-2015)
LAWoman Offline

Thanks everyone, this helps a lot!
28-04-2015 04:41 AM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,295
Hi LAWoman. Welcome to TVF. if your happy with your setup and it keeps you off the cigarettes stick with it. When you're ready you will progress to the next level. Vape On and live LONGer Good

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
28-04-2015 07:32 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
LAWoman (04-28-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,592
Welcome LA Woman, I can already tell that we're going to get on well with a sense of humour like yours Tongue

Have fun and make yourself at home Drinks
28-04-2015 11:12 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
LAWoman (04-28-2015)
LAWoman Offline

Sun_bespectacled Thanks, everyone! "Looks like I've come to the right place." - King Stephen, Braveheart
28-04-2015 02:35 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like LAWoman's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-30-2015), Michael (04-28-2015)