Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ready for next step after ecig
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Ready for next step after ecig
So glad you've settled on what you need, I think you've made an excellent choice. Sometimes it's best to just jump in and ask questions later, otherwise it can really mess with your head having too many options, as I know you've discovered already Tongue Let us know when you get your stuff so we can help out, we're always here to answer any questions, regardless of what TW might tell you Wink
07-10-2016 04:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Jesse 420A Offline

Likes Given: 5
Awesome Kero. I am glad you decided to make the jump.

Now something that I haven't seen any of us make sure was covered and understood with you. Priming coils. Have you heard of this before? Or the dreaded Dry Hits?

Dry Hits can SUCK. Here are some good examles that others on this forum have said about Dry Hits in the past.
(10-08-2016 10:14 PM)Eggza Wrote:  ps If you get a dry hit you will instantly know it. It's like smoking the filter end of a cigarette--I can't be the only person that's accidentally done that, right? Just thinking about it is enough to make me cough.

(10-08-2016 10:32 PM).namaste. Wrote:  Well- maybe you can help. The novice I am, figure the coil on my Vopo is toast anyway, so I attempt to dry burn it. And yeah, TONS of stuff burned off of it, it looked all nice and clean. Primed, refilled, and attempted to vape it and ALMOST DIED. Maybe that is what a dry hit is? It was like I may as well have inhaled fire directly into my throat, I actually checked my throat to see if it blistered or anything. HOLY F*&K.

So that is very much different than the burned taste I get every once in a while, I don't think that is a "dry hit"- while unpleasant, it's certainly not "OMG" worthy. Ya know?

2 different things, right?

(10-08-2016 10:36 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Oh f**k yeah, you know when you've had a dry hit alright! Sounds like you did unfortunately

(11-08-2016 03:11 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 10:50 PM).namaste. Wrote:  LOL! Ok so that's what that was. OMG I almost threw that thing across the room because it flat out assaulted me. I'm terrified of it now
Funny... that is exactly what happened to me early on in my vape life.

I had a Nautilus and a stick mod, which was fine and comfy at about 9w. So, when I upgraded, it was to the iPV4s with a Zephryus. Hey, suddenly I had a mod capable of 120w, plus a spiffy new tank that could handle a lot more than 9w!! I was stylin', let me tell you.

I set it to a whopping 80w (with a coil rated for like 30), then fired it while breathing in like a boss!! That dry hit was so incredibly painful I seriously almost dropped the mod. I am sure my eyes opened as wide as a prom date after drinking spiked punch, and I probably turned about 7 different colors consecutively, including plaid and tye-dye.

I totally understand where you are coming from.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 05:31 AM by Jesse 420A.)
07-10-2016 04:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
kero Offline

Likes Given: 34
Micheal: thanks and will do

Jesse: Yes, we have read a lot about priming coils and almost all vape device reviews we watched (like a 1000 of them) all talk about and show priming coils. Don't want dry hits.

I will be sure to bug you guys if and when we need help ROFL! Enjoy your weekend all!
07-10-2016 12:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like kero's post:
Don (10-08-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-09-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,378
It is confusing at first.

It gets way, way easier.

But there are so many mods and tanks out there.

Unless you are Donald Trump (or a Pokemon) , the option of getting them all just isn't there.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
08-10-2016 07:53 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Chum (10-10-2016), Michael (10-08-2016)
kero Offline

Interesting, I went to a local shop to price juices and check for coil availability. Luckily I can get GS air coils locally, not the cheapest thing in the world but we ordered with our initial on-line order so should be good for a while I think.

So, I'm talking with the shop owner and guy who was in their shopping and advise them what we bought, model, tank etc etc.

They both advised to avoid vaping with temp control and to stay in VW mode. I wonder why they advised this? I don't think I planned on using TC anyway and was going to stay with VW mode for a bit to get started.

Shop owner also advised the clean the tank thoroughly like someone else did in the "what do you have on order" thread. He confirmed the GS air tank will come dirty with machine oil, etc. Sounds like a pain but not a big deal to be honest.

The GS air tank comes with two 0.15 ohm coils, I can't remember the material but I believe it was for TC use. Luckily we ordered some 1.2 ohm coils as well with the order so I think it's best to switch out to these coils when I get the unit. What is the recommended range for a 1.2 coil in VW mode?

Thoughts?
08-10-2016 10:54 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
TC is pretty complicated, and you wanted simple, that's why no one recommended it. Honestly I find TC lacking compared to power mode anyway. Pro tip: never use TC coils in power mode, and never use coils made for power mode in TC mode. TC coils are made of nickel or titanium, which will put off dangerous fumes if they're heated too much. And coils made for power mode just won't work in TC mode. Those 0.15 ohm coils will be for TC, you can try it if you want but it's a bit more difficult than power mode. Basically, in TC mode you have to set the temperature you want and the wattage it should fire at, and the mod regulates the power to maintain that temperature. I always recommend against TC because power mode is easier and honestly better. 
09-10-2016 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (10-10-2016), Chum (10-09-2016), Fatboy (10-09-2016)
kero Offline

(09-10-2016 12:03 AM)Michael Wrote:  TC is pretty complicated, and you wanted simple, that's why no one recommended it. Honestly I find TC lacking compared to power mode anyway. Pro tip: never use TC coils in power mode, and never use coils made for power mode in TC mode. TC coils are made of nickel or titanium, which will put off dangerous fumes if they're heated too much. And coils made for power mode just won't work in TC mode. Those 0.15 ohm coils will be for TC, you can try it if you want but it's a bit more difficult than power mode. Basically, in TC mode you have to set the temperature you want and the wattage it should fire at, and the mod regulates the power to maintain that temperature. I always recommend against TC because power mode is easier and honestly better. 

Micheal, we plan on using these is power mode but got a unit with TC mode just in case down the line we wanted to try it. Understood about the coils and when to use and not use them etc etc. That is why I mentioned we will change over to the 1.2ohm coils that we ordered with the mods. I will be sure to re-inform the other guys about this.

We are going to just jump in and start Smile

Any thoughts on cleaning the tanks with warm soapy water vs alcohol?

Looking forward to getting the units as the V2 EX is just not cutting it but luckily as of this monday, will be 2 weeks off analogs Smile

Amazing how much better I feel already. My stained fingers from the analogs are gone already.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 12:41 AM by kero.)
09-10-2016 12:40 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
Michael (10-09-2016)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,081
-- You can use warm soapy water if you like. Just make sure its dry before you put the coil in and prime.
-- The GS air is a very good TC tank. That said you need to be familiar with how temperature limiting works. Also your mod has to have a TC mode.
-- Jump in but know what you are doing. Ask for advice if you need it.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
09-10-2016 12:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Michael (10-09-2016)
kero Offline

Thanks Smile
09-10-2016 11:33 PM
kero Offline

Units arrived today, nice small and portable, will get it setup in the next day or so.

1.2ohm coils indicate suggested range 8 to 30W, quite a range now?

Is starting at 8W to low for MTL or should we start somewhere around 15W?
11-10-2016 10:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
gentlydoingit* (10-11-2016)