Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ready for next step after ecig
kero Offline

Likes Given: 34
RE: Ready for next step after ecig
Torrey,

Based on more research tonight, hahaha, the mini triton seems to be the way to go, so I think the tank portion is done and I think for now the battery portion is done. I read for MTL to crank the air flow down as MTL people who use the triton say that works best.

I emailed the gang and advised we should go with triton mini with mini istick 20w.

Coil wise, the tank comes with some coils I believe, however, if the clapton coil is good for MTL and fits the mini tank, I will check locally for when we need to replace them. If we are not going TC is the clapton coil even necessary, does it not create a warmer vape in a non TC battery/mod

When looking for coils locally, what am I looking for material wise. I assume we should stick with 1.8ohms.

Is there specific SKU numbers for the coils I should be looking for locally?

I have learned so much in the past few days, I can't thank you guys enough and we are not done just yet Tongue
Thanks again Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 01:16 AM by kero.)
03-10-2016 01:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
BOB (10-03-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
(03-10-2016 01:08 AM)kero Wrote:  How does cost play into the coil conversation between material and clapton etc? Is there SKU numbers that will make looking easier?
The Triton coils are a little more expensive than the Nautilus coils, but they get better reviews. Online, a pack of 5 1.8 coils is less than $15. I have no idea what they would be retail. Personally, if I like the tank, I'd buy a couple of packs at Fast Tech. Company in China that is usually less expensive than US suppliers, but shipping is slow, but shipping is usually free. If all three of you get coils you get a wholesale discount.

In most cases, a pack of 5 coils is same, no matter what type of coil you are buying. This only changes if you decided to try ceramic coils. I do not even know if they make ceramic coils for the Triton.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
03-10-2016 01:22 AM
kero Offline

^^ I am fine with getting the triton coils, a few extra bucks here and there won't do any harm

So, basically all I have to do is look for 1.8ohm triton coils, is it that simple? If I can't find those the nautilus mini coils also work? I know I have seen those in several local shops.

What material am I looking for specifically? You advised to avoid Nickel and Titanium. What does that leave? Stainless?

Once I know that I think for now coil selection is done for now.

We are surely moving along.

I know I ask a lot of questions but knowledge is power, which I didn't have when we started ugh.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 01:29 AM by kero.)
03-10-2016 01:28 AM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(03-10-2016 01:28 AM)kero Wrote:  So, basically all I have to do is look for 1.8ohm triton coils, is it that simple? If I can't find those the nautilus mini coils also work? I know I have seen those in several local shops.
Don't worry about what they are made of, just get the 1.8 Ohm coils for the Triton mini. The material coils are made of is one factor in calculating the resistance. The Ni and Ti are for temperature control, so until you have a mod that has TC, avoid those coils. For example, one of the options for Triton mini coils is 0.15 Nickel.

03-10-2016 01:38 AM
kero Offline

Another quick question based on the setup, is 70vg/30pg be an issue with this setup. I know 50/50 should not be an issue but I myself would like to eventually go 70/30 and I will most likely go down to 3mg/mL and then down to 0.

I will make a new thread about juice but need the basic info above for the gang for my discussion.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 02:55 AM by kero.)
03-10-2016 02:55 AM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(03-10-2016 02:55 AM)kero Wrote:  Another quick question based on the setup, is 70vg/30pg be an issue with this setup. I know 50/50 should not be an issue but I myself would like to eventually go 70/30 and I will most likely go down to 3mg/mL and then down to 0.
70VG/30PG should be fine. What's the nic level in the juice you are currently using. Since you just quit smoking that's a big drop. Don't sabotage yourself by cutting the nic out too soon. When I quit, pack a day smoker, I used 18mg, dropped to 12mg. Once I went to DTL, I switched to 6mg, and am still working my way to 3mg. Not sure if I'll ever drop to 0mg nic.

03-10-2016 03:01 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Hey, jumping into this thread a little late. Looks like you're getting some awesome advice here Smile

If you don't find the Triton coils you're looking for, I'd really advise you to use the BVC Nautilus coils. The Nautilus has a few different kinds of coils, but the BVC are the best. BVC stands for "bottom vertical coil" but that doesn't really matter, what matters is they are similar resistance (I think they're 1.6 ohms, iirc) and the flavor is MUCH better than the basic Nautilus coils. 

70/30 is the absolute max I'd use in a Nautilus, any higher and you'll run the risk of getting dry hits. If you can keep using 50/50, I'd recommend doing that, but 70/30 shouldn't cause any problems. I use 60/40 in my Nautilus Mini. 

Like Bibs said, the material the coil is made of doesn't really matter much at this point. As long as it doesn't say Ti, Ni, or TC, you're fine. Ti is titanium, Ni is nickel, both of which can be bad for you if you use them in power mode since they're made for temp control (TC). Not simple, therefore doesn't fit what you need. Just so you know, most coils are made of kanthal, which is a metal alloy, and there's also nichrome and stainless steel, all of which are fine to use without having to worry about temp control complexities. Just avoid anything that says TC or Ti or Ni. 

Also, you mentioned that you're asking a lot of questions. PLEASE DON'T STOP. Seriously, here on the forum we believe that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. We're here to help, and if you have any questions at all, even if it feels silly, it's better to ask and know than to assume and be wrong. 

For what it's worth, I would go with the iStick 50W if I were you. It is a little bit larger than the 20W, but it's not very much larger, and they're both much smaller than they look in pictures. I use an iStick 50W with a Nautilus Mini fairly often, and it's a nice combination that's small and easily fits in a pants pocket or jacket pocket. The iStick 50W is quite a bit smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

If you have a shop near you (sorry if you mentioned that and I missed it), it would be good to check some of these things out before buying. Most shops have testers where you can try new flavors, and they might have a Triton set up for people to test. Or they might be able to show you an iStick 50W so you can judge the size for yourself in person. The iStick 20W is good, but the battery really doesn't last nearly as long as the 50W so if you can spare the very small amount of extra space it's well worth it. 
03-10-2016 04:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (10-03-2016), kero (10-03-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,193
Welcome aboard Kero! seems like you're in good hands Drinks
03-10-2016 11:57 AM
kero Offline

Torrey: I will discuss with the gang 50/50 vs 70/30. Currently we are all using the 1.2 level v2 cartomizers. Nic levels will also discuss with them. Me personally I don't think a lower nic level will be an issue as I think I smoked analogs more for the habit portion due to stress as work etc. The other guys, they might have to be more nic level aware.

Michael: Coil wise, thanks for the material info, I will see what is available locally.

The iStick 50W with either the nautilus mini or mini triton, is there anything special settings that need to be done on the battery? Do we simply install the tank on the unit will detect and determine the rest? Does it automatically read the coil? Any settings we would need to pay attention to? Please remember we are coming from an ultra basic ecig so I want to make sure it won't get to complicated for us. I want to be able to explain this all to the rest of guys so they can determine what they might want based on how complicated they want to go, etc.

Spasmod: Thank you
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 02:01 PM by kero.)
03-10-2016 02:00 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,305
Hi Kero - Do not get mixed up between the Triton coils and the Triton mini coils - they are NOT the same. You need Nautilus coils and as I have said the 1.2 is the best. Clapton coils have also been mentioned - forget it - gently has pulled one of these apart and it is rubbish - I used it and it was not as good as the standard 1.8 coil - but it was more expensive. As far as juice goes I do not understand why you want 70% VG juice for MTL - that is a nonesense - factory coils do not like that high VG - 50/50 is best - high VG is for the cloud chasers. High VG can clog up the factory coils. You also asked about the drip tip being wider than the normal - it is but not much and it will not be a problem - anyway any standard drip tip will fit. Michael has again stated what Bob said about the 50W mod - these two guys are extremely experienced about all things vaping - I would pay attention to them if I was you. Last but not least - do not get yourself too involved at this stage with everything - get your mod and your tank and 1.2ohm coils and a 50/50 juice and get started - then ask more questions - just now you can't see the wood for the trees. Best of luck.
03-10-2016 02:24 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
BOB (10-03-2016), Fatboy (10-03-2016), kero (10-03-2016)