Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ready for next step after ecig
Jesse 420A Offline

Likes Given: 5
RE: Ready for next step after ecig
(02-10-2016 12:19 AM)kero Wrote:  Hi All,

So quick back story before the questions. Myself and buddies (3 total) at work all decided to stop smoking at the same time as a good way for us all not to be tempted to start smoking again.

We started doing some basic research and jumped the gun (probably a newbie mistake) and decided to all order 3 starter kits of the V2 EX.

Within the first week of using them we are all ready to go to a more user friendly and universal option. So at that point I really dug into the research and learned so much more than the original research.

Today I stopped by 3 vape shops which really took my understanding to a new level, at least for a newb.

So with all that being said, all 3 of us are MTL and want to go to the next level but not go crazy.

Based on the research and shop visits here is what I came up with for all 3 of us.

Aspire nautilus mini tank mated to an mini istick 10W variable battery. I think they make a 20W but not sure if that would benefit us in anyway. Also, I have been reading about top fill tanks and wonder if that is really something that we should consider at this early stage. If so, anything similar to the nautilus mini that would suffice that is similar in overall size and performance?

What's your thoughts? Do you have any questions I can answer that can help give any further guidance. We want to keep costs reasonable of course.

It's an amazing vape world out there!!

By the way while doing my research I came across the August 8th mandate or whatever you want to call it. To say the least, I was not happy with what I read. Actually I was quite disgusted.

Thanks for your help

Hello Kero, And congrats. I am Always glad to hear another one of us is kicking the habit. Same goes for your buddies.
Now before I say anything I want to get some more info out of you. To kinda see what you want out of a device. Was there anything you did like about the V2 EX?
What didn't you like?
Also is size an issue at all?

Top fill's can be pretty handy to have. I have a KangerTech Top Evod as seen below. And i will say I liked that feature for the week that I actually used it. That was pretty easy to refill and carry with me. Much more convenient than bottom feed ones for sure.
[Image: Coffret.jpg]
[Image: Top-fill.jpg]
Now dont get me wrong here. I'm not saying that this is what I would recommend for you. I am just saying That I have used a top fill before. Can I see how someone might say it is easier to use for a beginner? Sure. But to tell you the truth as long as you take your time and you have steady hands, Then filling bottom feed tanks should be just fine. Just make sure you filled before you leave the house.

I also want to say that I started with a "Vape Pen". Then only a week and a half later I moved on from that. For my own personal preference. Thats a big thing......no scratch that. It is the most important thing. My move was for what I was looking to get out of a device/setup. Not what someone else told me I wanted.

Anyway with all that said.
You are talking about/asking about the Eleaf Mini iStick 10W. And the aspire NAUTILUS Mini. Like the ones below.
[Image: o0qDH2t.jpg]

I dont have any experience with them but the setup I move onto after that KangerTech Top Evod I showed you is an Eleaf iStick 100W.
[Image: 28.jpg]
To be honest with you I dont think I am alone here in having used an Eleaf.
I think that most everyone on here has had some experience with the older Eleaf iStick's at one point or another.

What I will say though is from what I am seeing, Now If it's all just about size, price, concelibility and easy of cary sure it is very small. And you can toss it in your pocket easy. But then again many small mods exist now. And the setup your talking about here, Well, If you end up wanting to step up on vapor production or on flavor at all. Then you will end up having to move on from the 10W and buy another mod.

Now "if" you would get something that is a little more powerful, However is still adjustable you can always turn it down to the same settings as you would have had the 10W vaping at. But then you could go longer in between charging intervals. And you would have the added cushion "IF" you ever one day want to step it up a notch.

An example of just what I mean I can and have vaped my iStick 100W at 8 Watts on a 1.8 Ohm coil. And my It can go all the way down to I think....5 Watts? That Sounds correct to me right now.

Also something to think about whats good for one might not be good far many in this case.
Vaping is funny. When you start you never know if its actually going to work to get you off the smokes. Then you dont know if its "just a stepping stone" to stop smoking or if you are going to end up really REALLY liking it. And going full STEAM a HEAD.....Sarcastic_hand

Its just a wave you have to ride out own your own and see where it takes you.

And when it comes down to all of your group, all of you are all going to have somewhat different tastes and preferences wile you are vaping. Gear, Flavors, And even your settings. just hear me out here. If you all just started at the same time and did not influence each others setups or setting then you would find after a little wile. That each of you was a little different. Vaping is a VERY personal experience in this way. However even being so personal and different we still all have each others backs...big time. So come to the cloudy side. And see you guys are not just the few partners you thought you are. But in fact WE are many, Yourselves now included too.
02-10-2016 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jesse 420A's post:
paulS (10-02-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,096
Jesse you are right about eLeaf being popular and common, I have several...thanks to iStick staying on the trend, they keep adding decent mods to the line-up and will continue to design and build quality mods....although I don't have a use for one, I recently ordered several PICO mods as Xmas presents...should get here from China on Xmas eve. Smile
02-10-2016 01:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
TinWhisker (10-02-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,848
If you're now strongly considering the Nautilus Mini, I'd like to suggest the regular Nautilus instead. Of course, the mini is considerably smaller if that's of any consequence to you, but they both take the same coils and are essentially the same tank, with the regular being 5ml of capacity vs the little capacity of the mini. For me, I am not a fan of the bottom fill, but with the 5ml capacity regular sized Nautilus, fill ups are far less often, which is a big plus to me. I don't use that tank much anymore since I've moved on to subohm and DL pretty much exclusively, but that was my tank of choice for MTL, for sure.
02-10-2016 05:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (10-02-2016)
kero Offline

Likes Given: 34
I will try and address everyone who chimed in after I logged off last night, if I missed anything or overlooked anything, sorry about that, alot to take in but I always like to address everyone trying to help Smile

Bob: I am not totally sure we would need to step up to the 50W. I spoke to the guys (and including myself) and we want to hopefully stay in this next step we wish to take and not go into the DTL scene. Also I didn't research yet but the 10W and 20W and nice tiny units, not sure how big the 50W is. With regards to battery life, I am not sure if that is ultra critical right although it's always important. We are to new to really know what type of battery life we would need. edit the 50w version is about an inch taller than the mini, I would like to keep the unit as small as possible, the other gents, I will have to ask of course.

Ecignut: I started researching the triton mini and it seems like a very nice unit. The only thing I noticed that is different is the mouthpiece hole diameter. Am I wrong in assuming the mouth piece on the triton mini is more for DTL than MTL? Can one use the 1.2ohm coil in the triton mini on the eleaf 20W? As mentioned above, I do not know if we want to step up to the 50W if we don't plan on moving onto the DTL phase. Battery size in terms of smallness is a factor of course, I saw the eleaf 10W mini in person and love the size for both work and home and auto. With regards to the other suggestions I think sticking with the aspire tank and eleaf battery can't do us wrong if that makes any sense.

Jesse420a: With regards to what we didn't like, here we go and I will try my best to be specific
#1 There is a lack of vapor to say the least, the flavors on the cartomizers are limited, the flavor is ehhh, kinda harsh and makes us clear out throats alot, cartomizers are hard to find locally, not very universal, and the cost for the cartomizers with shipping is not that great. I think I covered most of it. Most of us kinda feel the same way give or take. Most importantly we want to be able to experiment with juices and each one of us has different likes. One menthol, one kinda sweet, one fruity, etc. We don't want to spend money on the empty takes for the v2 ex as they are small and expensive for what they are at least I think they are.

#2 Size is not an issue to be honest, nice small units, decent weight. I am not sure how to say this any other way but they are kinda cheesy in a sense.

#3 Based on the feedback, topfill is definately the right way to go as long as the mouthpiece would work for MTL'rs.

Its just a wave you have to ride out own your own and see where it takes you - you are right and I don't know where it will take us as all three of us enjoyed smoking so who knows, we just want to take it one step at a time and not jump rungs to quickly.

Yes, our tasts will be different for sure juice wise but the gang is kinda relying on me to take this next step with a good basic setup that is small, semi universal, can find parts locally, etc. The nautical stuff is very findable locally and so are batteries, however, our first order of equipment will most likely be online to save some money. The setup in my original post (might change now a little) would be $60 locally not including juice. Online same setup, with free shipping, about $45.

Tinwhisker: yes the tank size is semi important to keep the equipment as small as possible and I will discuss with the guys and show them the triton mini for top filling ease etc.

Thank you all thus far, I await further feedback/comments/suggestions.

Just so everyone knows, I will be giving the rest of the gang and update this wed when I get back to work.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 10:38 PM by kero.)
02-10-2016 08:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
Spasmod (10-03-2016)
kero Offline

Guys, I forgot to add that I have watched several videos that suggest you piece together your device vs buying a kit. Is this faulty thinking?
02-10-2016 10:34 PM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
(02-10-2016 10:34 PM)kero Wrote:  Guys, I forgot to add that I have watched several videos that suggest you piece together your device vs buying a kit. Is this faulty thinking?
Not at all. I thinks it's a much better method to put together the kit for yourself. I've read a lot of kit reviews and none are perfect. Good mod, but the tank leaks. I think you are right on track with iStick and Triton/Nautilus mini.

BTW, you should be fine using the Triton for MTL, you just have close down the air flow to the minimum opening and use the right coil. As long as use coils over 1.0 you'll be fine. Aspire offers several coils above 1.0. As well, it you ever move to DTL, you'll still be able to use the Triton.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
02-10-2016 11:01 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (10-02-2016), kero (10-02-2016)
kero Offline

Torrey,

Thanks for the info Smile

There are so many options that I don't want to get sidetracked, however, the iStick Power Nano Kit looks like a very nice unit and at a good price. I am not sure exactly how this unit would compare to the unit we are discussing based on my original post.

I did see it can use 1.5ohm coils which I would assume mean it could be used as MTL. I just wonder if a unit like this would be overkill for us. I would also assume we would have to dial back the air flow on this unit for MTL.

Also, I don't know if coils are available locally which is an important aspect for us.

The tank on this unit looks pretty good a well

edit: the tank on this unit does not get the best reviews and the buttons seem to irritate users. Simple is better for us.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 12:16 AM by kero.)
02-10-2016 11:36 PM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(02-10-2016 11:36 PM)kero Wrote:  There are so many options that I don't want to get sidetracked, however, the iStick Power Nano Kit looks like a very nice unit and at a good price. I am not sure exactly how this unit would compare to the unit we are discussing based on my original post.

I did see it can use 1.5ohm coils which I would assume mean it could be used as MTL. I just wonder if a unit like this would be overkill for us. I would also assume we would have to dial back the air flow on this unit for MTL.

Also, I don't know if coils are available locally which is an important aspect for us.
I'm not familiar with that kit. From reading, the high wattage istick, the more powerful the battery, the longer it will last. No matter what the instructions say, you shouldn't vape while the unit is charging.

For MTL on the Triton, I'd get the 1.8 Clapton coils. You'd have to check with your local store for availability.

03-10-2016 12:01 AM
kero Offline

Eh, the kit I just posted the tanks don't seem to be liked very much and the buttons irritate users. I think simple is best for us. All this digital stuff might be overkill for simple vapesters lol

When you refer to "clapton coils", what does that specifically mean? How does that differ than standard coils if there is such a thing. I know there are different materials though.

As you can see we haven't gotten that far yet, hahahaha

Small steps Smile
03-10-2016 12:18 AM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(03-10-2016 12:18 AM)kero Wrote:  When you refer to "clapton coils", what does that specifically mean? How does that differ than standard coils if there is such a thing. I know there are different materials though.
You can safely ignore the "Clapton" part of the coil, it's the 1.8 Ohms that is important. Clapton is a type of coil. If you ever get into rebuilding, you can brush up on all the different types of coils and materials used to make coils. It will make your head spin. Just avoid any coils made for TC, temperature control, such as Nickel and Titanium. The 1.8 resistance is the same as the Nautilus mini coils. (After doing research in the Triton mini, I may get one.)

As far as finding coils, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. The Triton coils get better reviews, but are interchangeable with the Nautilus mini coils. So if worse came to worse you could buy Nautilus mini coils.

TW, I personally think the regular nautilus may be too big for the small isticks kero is looking at. However, the better the gear, the more you vape, the faster you get tired of filling your tank. I'd hate to deal with a juice spill at work. Since they are just looking for MTL 2ml may last them the day.

03-10-2016 12:33 AM