Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ready for next step after ecig
kero Offline

Likes Given: 34
Ready for next step after ecig
Hi All,

So quick back story before the questions. Myself and buddies (3 total) at work all decided to stop smoking at the same time as a good way for us all not to be tempted to start smoking again.

We started doing some basic research and jumped the gun (probably a newbie mistake) and decided to all order 3 starter kits of the V2 EX.

Within the first week of using them we are all ready to go to a more user friendly and universal option. So at that point I really dug into the research and learned so much more than the original research.

Today I stopped by 3 vape shops which really took my understanding to a new level, at least for a newb.

So with all that being said, all 3 of us are MTL and want to go to the next level but not go crazy.

Based on the research and shop visits here is what I came up with for all 3 of us.

Aspire nautilus mini tank mated to an mini istick 10W variable battery. I think they make a 20W but not sure if that would benefit us in anyway. Also, I have been reading about top fill tanks and wonder if that is really something that we should consider at this early stage. If so, anything similar to the nautilus mini that would suffice that is similar in overall size and performance?

What's your thoughts? Do you have any questions I can answer that can help give any further guidance. We want to keep costs reasonable of course.

It's an amazing vape world out there!!

By the way while doing my research I came across the August 8th mandate or whatever you want to call it. To say the least, I was not happy with what I read. Actually I was quite disgusted.

Thanks for your help
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 12:50 AM by kero.)
02-10-2016 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like kero's post:
Fatboy (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: Ready for next step after ecig
Excellent research. The nautilus mini is an excellent MTL tank. As you suspected the bottom fill is the only draw back. Being MTL vapers, 10w of power is about all you need. You'll be very happy with the istick and mini.

Just a thought, is there a place you try DTL, subohm, vaping to see how you like it? You are pretty much limited to MTL with the mini and 10w? I went from a starter kit to a 200w mod, just to have room to grow and try different things. It's served me well.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
02-10-2016 02:03 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
kero (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
EddieN Offline
Toodle Club Member

Likes Given: 220
You know what made me stay away from the analogs? All the researches I made and I still make, the will to try new tanks, new mods, new juices, the dark but fascinating world of building (never done that, but I will cosider it). You know, it's not just the intake of the nicotine that helps you stay away from smoking, it's a whole new world. I'd really wish to live in a country where vape shops are everywhere and you can go to one and see everything from near, unfortunately in my country there are no vape shops. The only way, is to blind buy everything online. This is the reason I'm still in that ego-type vape pens (soon to change)
I MTL too, and yes, from what I read, Nautilus Mini is the best for MTL. I think, even the Triton Mini is good for that. There are other ones that say that you can use to MTL, but the airflow is so big you get so much air and is nothing like an analog.
I'm pretty sure you read it somewhere, but you should also make a good choice on coils, because not all coils are suitable for MTL. I'll leave the others to speak about them
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 02:52 AM by EddieN.)
02-10-2016 02:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like EddieN's post:
kero (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
kero Offline

Torrey,

Thanks, I feel bad as I didn't do enough research for the guys before jumping into the V2 EX. Lesson learned, it happens.

With regards to the nautilus mini and bottom fill other than the extra step of having to remove it from the battery, is there any other draw backs? Anything similar that is top fill but still affordable and of quality? My research has also illustrated you get what you pay for, hence, the V2 EX despite working fine for what it is, was way to expensive. For the same price we could have bought the setup in my original post, ugh

There are plenty of shops where I live but don't know if they let you try as I didn't ask.

I can't speak for the other guys, but I don't know if I want to get that far in terms of DTL. The ultimate goal is to MTL for a while, go down in steps on the nicotine levels then just stop or just do it here and there.

Not sure if cloud chasing or cloud chucking (saw that term in a video) is something in my future hahahaha.

ed22995

I would agree, the new world out there also helps with the distraction from the analogs. I am amazed as to how much I was missing out there and how much sooner I could have moved away from analogs. So done with that, it feels good.

With regards to coils, I think staying with the aspire coils would be best if we go that route with the nautilus mini. I think based on the shop visits 1.8 should suffice or something around there.

I will do some research on the triton minis as well.

Sorry you don't have shops you can go to, it was very helpful today but these forums are a great source of info so I hope they help you out Smile

I was originally looking into the ego style batteries but I think the eleaf minis are better in most ways.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 03:07 AM by kero.)
02-10-2016 02:55 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like kero's post:
Spasmod (10-03-2016), TinWhisker (02-26-2018)
EddieN Offline
Toodle Club Member

Likes Given: 220
I never liked the design of nautilus tbh. It looks like a middle east-ottoman shisha tip and not as modern as other tanks. I don't think there are other cons. But you can buy some replacements for it and it looks amazing. 
If you're not ready to DTL, don't do it. I'm sure you'll miss the MTL because you're used with that with your old analogs
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 03:15 AM by EddieN.)
02-10-2016 03:08 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes EddieN's post:
Spasmod (10-03-2016)
kero Offline

^^ Funny on the looks but I am not worried about that and with regards to DTL, not even thinking about it right now but I understand the suggestion to consider it by others.

Oh, I added some extra reply in post#4 so if you didn't see it please read it again Smile
02-10-2016 03:12 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
Spasmod (10-03-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
(02-10-2016 02:55 AM)kero Wrote:  With regards to the nautilus mini and bottom fill other than the extra step of having to remove it from the battery, is there any other draw backs? Anything similar that is top fill but still affordable and of quality? My research has also illustrated you get what you pay for, hence, the V2 EX despite working fine for what it is, was way to expensive. For the same price we could have bought the setup in my original post, ugh

ECig is the resident MTL expert and may be able to give you some more MTL tank options. Other than a tank with top fill, I don't think it gets better than the mini. In general, MTL really depends on the coil's resistance. Any coil over 1.0 can be considered MTL. The only two coils for the mini are 1.8 and 1.6, I've used both with and didn't find anything really different between the two. There is also the Triton Mini which seems to get great reviews and is top fill.

I have read a lot of good things on this forum regarding the iSticks. You might consider getting the 20w version. I notice the coil resistance for the Triton, they have one with 1.2 resistance that may need a bit more power.

A lot of choices depend on budget, which I don't really have, so I put a lot of other thoughts in my move from an ego starter pen. I knew I couldn't afford a new mod every couple of months.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
02-10-2016 03:15 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like bibliora's post:
ecignut (10-02-2016), Fatboy (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
kero Offline

Torrey, the 20W version is only a few bucks more so that won't break the bank. Believe me when I tell you I am always on a tight budget and also don't want to change every few months. If a few extra dollars is needed, I'll swing it as pound wise penny foolish, hence, maybe the error on the V2 EX.

Will def look into the triton as well.
02-10-2016 03:39 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kero's post:
Spasmod (10-03-2016)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
hi kero
the istick 20 battery will last twice as long between charges as the istick 10
the istick 50 will last twice as long as the 20
I MTL and 10w is a little low but 20w will be fine
depending on price I would get the 20w version and if the 50w is not a lot more money I would buy that for the better battery life

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
02-10-2016 06:38 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like BOB's post:
bibliora (10-02-2016), ecignut (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,927
Hi Kero - welcome to the forum - you have had great advice already - for my twopence worth I would go for the Triton mini - why - because it is the updated version of the Nautilus mini. It fills from the top and the airflow is superior as you have infinite choices instead of four with the Nautilus. It uses the same coils as the Nautilus mini with a 1.8; 1.6; and a 1.2ohm. The best by far is the 1.2ohm. which vapes at around 12W - the other two coils vape at around 9W for the 1.8 and around 10W for the 1.6. Flavour is good and the amount of vapour is slightly more than you would get from a cigarette. As far as a mod is concerned I would go with Bob and the 50W istick - it gives you plenty of scope for later on if you decide to try other modes of vaping. Other mods to look at would be the Wismec Presa series of mods or the Pegasus mini - all really nice reliable mods. BTW - the Triton mini does not leak no matter what position it is in - I have tried it[Image: smile.gif]. The best of luck with your choice and happy vaping.
02-10-2016 08:44 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like ecignut's post:
BOB (10-02-2016), Don (10-02-2016), Fatboy (10-02-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-02-2016), Spasmod (10-03-2016), TinWhisker (02-26-2018)