Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re-building RDA tanks
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
RE: Re-building RDA tanks
I am on my 5th YouTube video.  I saw one interesting video this guy showed the math for ohm readings. He said the gauge and number of wraps have nothing to do with ohms. It is the length of the wire. If you use the gauge with the numbers he figured out, he always ended up with the ohm number he wanted. Not sure but it sounded good.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
29-04-2015 01:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
That is correct.  One wrap is a given length depending on the diameter of the coil.  So each wrap adds a specific length of wire.  It's just easier to count wraps than to add up length for most people, LOL!  

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
29-04-2015 02:38 AM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

OK i see.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
29-04-2015 02:51 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I wouldn't recommend a .3 ohm build on a stock Patriot. There just isn't enough airflow for a low sub-ohm build like that. Since you inhale directly into your lungs, your best option would be to get access to a drill press and drill the holes out to about 1/8" or so. Many vape shops will do this for a nominal fee (my local shop charges $5, I think) or if you know someone with a drill press, you can buy titanium bits that will cut through the steel for just a couple of bucks. Some shops will do it for free, but a lot of them are starting to charge for this because they break a lot of drill bits doing it over and over every day. 
If you don't want to drill out the air holes, then I'd suggest trying to build your coils around .7 ohms. That way you still get a good amount of vapor, but it's not quite as hot and will work better with the restricted airflow of the Patriot. 
29-04-2015 05:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

...and .7 is right there where you were talking jerryz, with 5-6 wraps of 26 awg if you build a 2.5-3mm coil.  Smile

29-04-2015 05:58 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-29-2015)
Scrotebag Bill Offline

Likes Given: 8
Also, the whole sub ohm thing is not a necessity, more of a choice really. For my own tastes i like my single coils to be somewhere nearer to 1.5ohm & that gives me a good flavour window. Of course, you also have a vw istick so you can just turn up the power anyway. Before the vw devices really kicked in vapers were buliding lower resistance coils to get more amps out of the batteries in their mech mods & that was where all the battery safety & learning curve came in. Then there's the competition guys who do some extreme sub ohm cloud chasing, those people have done their homework first & they take the coil resistances to its limit where batteries are at their peak...Not for the faint hearted.
The youtube world of vape videos is worth its weight in gold & i always refer to it for info. Awesome stuff.
29-04-2015 12:08 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

OK..So it sounds like 26 awg wire, 5 or 6 wraps should do it for me.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
29-04-2015 03:29 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

I'd err on the high side, it's still gonna be pretty low - les than 1 ohm - and as Michael pointed out, the Patriot doesn't have a ton of airflow in its stock form.

29-04-2015 07:18 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Ok..Maybe you can clear up some confusion on my part. I understand that using my Istick with the Atlantis Tank is sub ohming. When using and RDA should I be above 1 ohm?

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
29-04-2015 08:04 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Sub ohming has nothing to do with which deck/tank you're using; it refers to the resistance of the coils in use.  The lower you go ohm-wise, the more juice you'll burn and the more airflow you need.  Either of those units will sub ohm with ease, and your i50 will go to .2 ohms (and realistically, .1 - they read on the high side so a coil that reads 1.08 on my meter reads as 1.1 on the i50).  But the tank/deck needs to supply juice/air to keep up.

I would recommend for the Patriot, that you keep it above .5 - closer to .8 really - and keep it at around 24 watts for a smooth vape.  If you open up the air holes, the sky's the limit.

29-04-2015 09:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-30-2015)