Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quick review - AWT charger.
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 12,225
Quick review - AWT charger.
I got this from eBay from ecoluxshop who I'd recommend to anyone. It's the same as this one reviewed by HKJ on BLF. Mine came with a US plug on the power adaptor - it uses 12V and comes with a car charging lead. Technically, I believe this means Trading Standards would haul the seller off to court as they ought to come with a UK plug power supply. Me, I don't care and won't be reporting him.

It will only just take the length of my protected Panasonic 3400mAh cells and I'm not happy with the force it takes to stuff them in - but the same is true of my Xtar WP2II charger. Fortunately they fit just fine in my WP6II charger.

The charge rates can be 1A or 500mA and it can discharge at 500mA. Some day I'll do capacity tests on my vaping cells to see how they are holding up. I could do this on one of the three Imax B6 clones I own but it's a pain. This might actually get used.

It will take 26650s. I don't own any so can't check but iI think it'll only take one at a time.

It's unusual in that the batteries point "down" (+ at the display end) rather than "up" like every other charger in the world. I've not even tried to put cells in the wrong way round but I feared that I would. It would just say "null" at me if I did.

If you just toss a cell into it and leave it, it will charge at 500mA - you have to take positive action to charge at 1A which is a good thing IMO. It doesn't push the charge, there are other good chargers that will charge cells more fully. But this is at most 100mAh which will make little difference.

It checks for impedance, but according to HKJ who can measure such things, the numerical results are more or less meaningless - but if they are too high, it will refuse to charge the cell. My collection of a dozen or so 5-6 year old Ultrafire and Trustfire 18650s are mostly rejected by it - it just sits there saying "null" at me when I insert them. I already knew it was time to toss them anyway...

My conclusion - Recommended and well worth the £30 ($48ish) I paid for it. The prices seem to vary a little from batch to batch - thecurrent price is a bit less than I paid.

Basic operation. 

Here's HKJ's conclusion.:
Quote:The charger works like somebody has tried designing the simplest charger to maintain LiIon batteries. I.e. provide exactly what is needed with a simple user interface and nothing more.
I believe the charger succeeds as a basic analyzing charger, I also like it uses constant current charge and discharge.
The wrong ohm values is not really a big issue, the trick is to find out at what value the batteries does not really work in a specific light or other equipment. It can also be used to sort batteries into good (Lowest mR value), average, old (Highest mR value).

For people that want a way to check their batteries, without lot of buttons and modes, this is a good charger, it is also a good charger just for charging and with two currents it covers many battery sizes.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
09-05-2014 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Don's post:
18sixfifty (06-05-2014), BOB (05-09-2014), gords1001 (05-09-2014), Spasmod (05-09-2014), Vivian Cai (06-23-2014)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
RE: Quick review - AWT charger.
Thanks Don! I appreciate you taking the time to give your take on it Good also Fantastic video! very enlightening and informative
09-05-2014 02:09 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

The manual contains this masterpiece of Chingrish.
[Image: 2014-05-09191525_zps2ad85081.jpg]

"When the charger will charge and discharge a little fever is a normal phenomenon."

09-05-2014 06:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
18sixfifty (06-05-2014)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Nice little charger, Don.  I like how it provides you with internal resistance readings and how many mAh went into the charged cell.  Those are features every charger should have.
09-05-2014 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

(09-05-2014 06:21 PM)Don Wrote:  The manual contains this masterpiece of Chingrish.
[Image: 2014-05-09191525_zps2ad85081.jpg]

"When the charger will charge and discharge a little fever is a normal phenomenon."
[Image: Q7V2Qus.gif]
09-05-2014 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
18sixfifty (06-05-2014), Don (05-09-2014)
Don Offline
Senior Staff

I have a mate who is allergic to cowbells! Guess what he gets for his birthdays?

09-05-2014 08:37 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Cow balls?
09-05-2014 09:50 PM
KevinWinton Offline

Likes Given: 0
(09-05-2014 10:05 AM)Don Wrote:  I got this from eBay from ecoluxshop who I'd recommend to anyone. It's the same as this one reviewed by HKJ on BLF. Mine came with a US plug on the power adaptor - it uses 12V and comes with a car charging lead. Technically, I believe this means Trading Standards would haul the seller off to court as they ought to come with a UK plug power supply. Me, I don't care and won't be reporting him.

It will only just take the length of my protected Panasonic 3400mAh cells and I'm not happy with the force it takes to stuff them in - but the same is true of my Xtar WP2II charger. Fortunately they fit just fine in my WP6II charger.

The charge rates can be 1A or 500mA and it can discharge at 500mA. Some day I'll do capacity tests on my vaping cells to see how they are holding up. I could do this on one of the three Imax B6 clones I own but it's a pain. This might actually get used.

It will take 26650s. I don't own any so can't check but iI think it'll only take one at a time.

It's unusual in that the batteries point "down" (+ at the display end) rather than "up" like every other charger in the world. I've not even tried to put cells in the wrong way round but I feared that I would. It would just say "null" at me if I did.

If you just toss a cell into it and leave it, it will charge at 500mA - you have to take positive action to charge at 1A which is a good thing IMO. It doesn't push the charge, there are other good chargers that will charge cells more fully. But this is at most 100mAh which will make little difference.

It checks for impedance, but according to HKJ who can measure such things, the numerical results are more or less meaningless - but if they are too high, it will refuse to charge the cell. My collection of a dozen or so 5-6 year old Ultrafire and Trustfire 18650s are mostly rejected by it - it just sits there saying "null" at me when I insert them. I already knew it was time to toss them anyway...

My conclusion - Recommended and well worth the £30 ($48ish) I paid for it. The prices seem to vary a little from batch to batch - thecurrent price is a bit less than I paid.

Basic operation. 

Here's HKJ's conclusion.:
Quote:The charger works like somebody has tried designing the simplest charger to maintain LiIon batteries. I.e. provide exactly what is needed with a simple user interface and nothing more.
I believe the charger succeeds as a basic analyzing charger, I also like it uses constant current charge and discharge.
The wrong ohm values is not really a big issue, the trick is to find out at what value the batteries does not really work in a specific light or other equipment. It can also be used to sort batteries into good (Lowest mR value), average, old (Highest mR value).

For people that want a way to check their batteries, without lot of buttons and modes, this is a good charger, it is also a good charger just for charging and with two currents it covers many battery sizes.

Well thanks man for sharing exact review with exciting video..I do need to get new charger and I hope your shared information will help me lot..
05-06-2014 11:19 AM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Hi and welcome Kevin!

05-06-2014 11:46 AM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Very cool. Thanks for the review, video and humor! I ended up ordering this one from ali-express.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Liitokala...52072.html

They look identical but I won't know how well it works till it shows up (tomorrow hopefully). It's only $21 for the next half a day or so. But I think they have it on sale often because I bought mine on sale about three weeks ago.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
05-06-2014 05:09 PM