Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about tanks that consume more or less oil?
kumarpr227 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Questions about tanks that consume more or less oil?
Hi.

I have been vaping for about 1 mth and have only recently discovered this forum.

I was reading on this forum that different tanks can consume more or less oil per hit.

True or False, with all other things being equal

1.  If I take a hit with more watts then I will consume more vape oil per hit than at lower watts?

2.  With all other things being equal, if I take a hit with a coil that has lower ohms then I will consume more vape oil than a hit taken on a coil with higher ohms?

3.  If I consume more oil per hit then the vape oil it isn't going to waste.  Meaning if I consume more oil per hit then it translate into more vape in my lungs, more flavor, etc?

Thanks again for your help.  I am trying to better understand the relationship with watts, ohms, and how much vape oil is being consumed.
12-10-2016 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,149
RE: Questions about tanks that consume more or less oil?
The more heat you put into the liquid (It isn't an oil, oils would do Bad Things to your lungs), the more liquid you vaporise. So yes, you will use more juice at higher wattage.

2 For an unregulated device yes, for a regulated device it really only depends on the power level used.

3 You could argue that any cloud you breathe out is "wasted". I wouldn't argue that way though.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
12-10-2016 06:31 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Fatboy (10-12-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-12-2016)
kumarpr227 Offline

Thanks for the quick reply

So when people say "they are looking for a tank that doesn't burn through vape liquid," that is an incorrect statement if they are using a mod with a regulator.

Its more about the watts you use or the temperature you vape at.

So if someone wants to make their vape liquid last longer then they should vape at lower power levels or take smaller hits.

I use a regulated device.  Balrog 70 from U.D.

So the ohms of my coil are totally unrelated to how much vape oil i consume per hit.  

Its more based on the watts I use and the size of hit I take.

if this is true then with a regulated device whats the benefits of going with higher or lower ohms?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry if these are noob questions.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 07:12 AM by kumarpr227.)
12-10-2016 07:10 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
No need to apologize, we were all noobs at one point or another Smile 

The ohms aren't completely unrelated, Don was just saying that on a regulated mod you can adjust the power settings to get more or less vapor, regardless of the ohms. But coils with different resistance can still have a profound effect on your vape. Higher resistance (above 1.0 ohms) coils are used for "mouth to lung" vaping, which means you take a puff on it similar to a cigarette. Sub-ohm coils (anything below 1.0 ohms) are used for "direct to lung" vaping, which means you inhale it like just taking a breath. Higher resistance coils are better at low wattage and produce smaller clouds and use less juice, whereas sub-ohm coils work better at higher wattage and produce bigger clouds and use more juice. So it's all kind of related. 
12-10-2016 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (10-12-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-12-2016)
kumarpr227 Offline

Thanks for the reply

I have 2 more questions.

With all other things being equal, if I double the watts that I vape at then that means I will double the amount of vape liquid I consume?  Meaning I take a hit at 40 watts and I take a hit at 80 watts, I will double the amount of vape liquid I use at 80 watts?  Is wattage verse vape liquid consumed a linear curve, a progressive curve, or a regressive curve?

Last question

The more vape liquid I consume relates to the amount of flavor I receive?  Or is the amount of vape liquid consumed and the amount of flavor I receive unrelated and all about personal preference?

Thanks again, this information can better help me understand my vaping preference and help me out when I start looking for upgrades.
12-10-2016 11:32 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,266
Hey kumar

How much juice you go through is down to how big the hit you take is. While higher watts will enviably use more juice, if you took a two second hit at 80w it'd almost square to a 4 second hit at 40w. However,  It's not a simple math game as there are too many variables, you'll not double your intake by doubling power, but it'll certainly go up.
Generally factory coils that ask for over 60w have large juice ingress for a sizable coil, and thus consume more. These coils are designed to do so and can have issues when used at lower watts or in a mtl fashion. 
Flavour is in the taste bud of the beholder. I like a huge cloud as for me I get better flavour, lots of people like mtl with much smaller clouds. It's all relative Big Grin 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
12-10-2016 11:55 PM
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
If you aim at lower e-liquid consumption, you will look for an MTL tank with tight draw and lesser cloud production. These have usually the following characteristics:
- smaller e-liquid holes / channels
- narrow wind pipes under the coil and narrow drip tips 
- single coil, spaced around and above 1 ohm
- smaller amount of cotton used
- wattage below 20 W

Use a higher PG e-liquid, and wick the cotton more on the tighter side.

Regarding your last question, as a rule of thump high e-liquid consumption does not auto-translate to more flavour. It is actually the other way around: The more cloud the less flavour. Of course nowadays there are tanks / atomizers which can produce both huge cloud and nice flavour.
13-10-2016 12:00 AM
kumarpr227 Offline

Thanks for all the feedback.

On a long day of work I have the aspire cleito and i still need to add more liquid before I get home.  I was looking at the aspire cleito 120 since it has a higher liquid capacity.  But it has lower ohms, larger tip opening, etc.  

So if I do get the 120 it doesn't mean that the larger tank will last me for more hits.

Thanks again for everyone's info.

If someone could give me a suggestion.

My aspire cleito is 3.5ml.  I am looking for something a a little larger in capacity that will last me the a full day without taking smaller hits or vaping at lower watts.  If anyone knows of any suggestions please let me know.

It seems that if I do get the cleito 120, even though it has a larger tank, then it might translate into more usable hits before a refill.
13-10-2016 03:21 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kumarpr227's post:
Fatboy (10-13-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
I don't have the Cleito 120. Just judging from looking at the huge coil head, juice channels and the factory rating as a 120 W tank this seems a cloud tank with high fuel consumption. You would look into something much more humble than that in search of a 1 work day tank.
13-10-2016 12:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes peter-k's post:
Don (10-13-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,304
kumar, I have both the CLEITO as well as the CLEITO 120 - yes, the 120 has a much larger tank capacity and I prefer it for the same reason you are inquiring about it - I do a long daily commute and the 120 is a big plus...
13-10-2016 09:58 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
gentlydoingit* (10-13-2016)