Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question in regards to colder vaping
bubba Offline

Likes Given: 0
Question in regards to colder vaping
Hello all, I have a question in regards to having a colder vape with an RDA. There was a thread somewhere here with a similar question but didn't want to hijack it. Anyway, just transitioned to dripping and currently i have a 4 nine mod with a tobh atomizor. The battery is an mxjo 18650 2500mah 35a. Previously, I had been accustomed  to my mvp set at 11 watts with a nautilus tank on a 1.8 ohm coil because the vape was not harsh nor hot with deeper hits.  
Now, would it be logical to to use 30 or 32 GA wire to reach at least 1.8 ohms for a cooler vape? Currently,the only wires I have are 26 and 28 GA and I'm  pretty sure that I will be wasting my time with those wires to achieve a higher ohm.  I don't really want to use a tank due to the fact that I have a selection of flavors that I haven't even tried most of them when only having 2 tanks and dumping juice back in a bottle kinda sucks which is the reason of switching to an RDA.  
Replies are all welcomed.  Thanks in advanced 
16-12-2014 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,282
RE: Question in regards to colder vaping
You would be better with thinner wire. Depending on your dripper, increasing the airflow will cool the vape some. Long drip tips have their place too.

But 12 turns of 28ga round a 2mm former will get you to 1.8 ohms with a single coil. For dual coils you'd need 17 turns round a 3mm former to reach 1.8 ohms with 28ga wire.

This calculator may come in handy.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
16-12-2014 10:06 AM
bubba Offline

Don, thanks for the reply.  I was considering 12 wraps with 28 ga but, I was told 6 -8 wraps is ideal with any wire? In theory, it will definitely work.  So, basically, as long as the coil is heating up at at a slower rate that should make it a cooler vape?  I will definitely try it though. 
16-12-2014 12:22 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,002
Welcome to TVF Bubba

6 to 8 wraps it probably more ideal if you want the coils to heat quicker for a more intense warm vape if you're not using a variable power mod. But yeah more wraps will introduce more of a delay in the coil heating so that transitions into a cooler, more mellow vape.

I think Don is right about the 12 wraps on a 2mm former. That would delay it enough to make it cooler on the initial inhale and still give you a nice amount of vapour. If you find it's too slow to heat or too cool, or even if you're not happy with the vapour production, just decrease the amount of turns until you find that balance that works well for you.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get on Good
16-12-2014 02:20 PM
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,425
You know, I've never thought about it in these terms, but that makes a lot of sense that more coils would translate into a slower heat and therefore a cooler vape. Great question, and I'm glad you're getting some good help here. Smile 

I wwas gonna say welcome to the forum, but haven't I seen you before? Wink 
16-12-2014 02:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
bubba Offline

Ok, sorry for the delay.  Work has been testing my manhood.   Well, I did try a 28 ga 12 wrap from a screw set with a big enough diameter.  I didn't exactly get 1.8 ohms... more like 2.0 ohms which is not shabby.  I did get a cooler mellower vape which is good.  I used a narrower drip tip for more flavor.  All in all, the result was satisfactory.  I'll try fewer wraps and shoot for 1.8 and see where that takes me.  Would anyone recommend using a kick v2?  A kick would regulate the output, no?

(16-12-2014 02:54 PM)Michael Wrote:  You know, I've never thought about it in these terms, but that makes a lot of sense that more coils would translate into a slower heat and therefore a cooler vape. Great question, and I'm glad you're getting some good help here. Smile 

I wwas gonna say welcome to the forum, but haven't I seen you before? Wink 
Mike, thanks for the welcome and yes, lol, I think you saw me on my introduction. 
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 04:36 AM by bubba.)
18-12-2014 04:33 AM
Michael Offline
I'm back!

I've never owned a kick myself, but I've done a lot of research on them since I considered buying one a while back but from my research, I came to the conclusion that it's not such a big deal. If you want to regulate the output, you might as well just buy a regulated mod, since it's built into the mod and much easier to adjust. Depending on what kind of power you want, there are a lot of great regulated mods available. I personally use a Sigelei-100W dual 18650 box mod that can put out up to 100W, but that's probably way too much power for some people, and even I hardly ever turn it up that high. For most people a Vamo V5 or similar single 18650 device will be more than adequate, plus with it being a single 18650 that makes it a bit easier since you don't have to worry about having matched pairs of batteries and all that. Others might have a different opinion, but to me a kick seems pretty useless since for just a few dollars more you can get a regulated mod. Plus a kick can be a pain if your mod isn't specifically made to hold it, for example I couldn't use a kick in my Caravela since it is made to hold an 18650 and the kick would make it too long.

Hope that helps! I looked back and yeah I did see you in your intro Wink
18-12-2014 06:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,282
Given that you can buy an iStick for the same sort of money as a Kick, it's no contest for me. And the iStick will do 20W whereas most Kicks are limited to 12W which just isn't enough for me. Though it is for many people.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
18-12-2014 09:25 AM
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Don is right, the istick is a good bargain, though it can't handle anything less than 1.0 ohms so it's a bit annoying if you're used to building sub-ohm coils. But if you're shooting for 1.8, you'll be fine. 
18-12-2014 05:45 PM