Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pre-built coils question
KareemDono Offline

Likes Given: 0
Pre-built coils question
So I got into vaping like 2-3 months ago, and I was vaping on the tfv8 cloud beast sub-ohm tanks.
but then I've heard so many people talking about RDA/RDTA/RTA and all of this rebuildable stuff, I decided to order the Geekvape Ammit 25 RTA 2ml/5ml (I watched some reviews on it and it's looking good).
I watched Mike vapes video about it and he used these prebuilt coils: https://www.heavengifts.com/product/GeekVape-Fused-Clapton-Coil-2-In-1.html
and It is a single coil build so I guess it's easier.
I got a lot of questions about prebuilt coils.
1. what's the difference between a single coil build and a dual coil build
2. How do I know what's the minimum and max wattage to vape on with a certain prebuilt coil (for example the coil that I'm buying, what wattage should I vape on it?)
3. how to choose a prebuilt coil? based on what? 
I see that there are a lot of brands of prebuilt coils like (aliens, fused claptons, twisted, tiger, etc..)

I'm pretty new to all these stuff, I'll be more than happy if someone would explain prebuilt coils to me.
thanks!
12-10-2017 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chuck-Drl Online
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,136
RE: Pre-built coils question
Of those you listed any are fine , fancy coils do tend to produce nice flavor and cloud but as to which is best its all a matter of opinion .
My self id go with the clapton , preforms well and is easy to clean .
Single coil build is one coil and wick in an atomizer , dual is 2 coils in an atomizer . Dual coil will produce more vapor faster and will half the resistance of the coils being used , it allso drains the battery faster .
Watage depends on coil , resistance , and vape style . A single .5 26/32 clapton should be good from 14 to 45 wats .

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
12-10-2017 12:24 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,853
What you do with those listed coils is install them on a DIY deck (like the Ammit) and add cotton. Unlike disposable coil units that are fully discarded when the wicking is shot, with DIY decks you remove the cotton, clean the coil (usually by heating the coils to burn off residue) and install new cotton, leaving the coils on. The DIY coils last much longer because you are only changing the cotton, so you will likely get at least a month and most times much more than a month out of the metal coil before you change that. DIY decks not only give you more flexibility to build the deck with the resistance and metal thickness that best suits you, but they also save a LOT of money over time versus throwing out the entire coil unit every week or so.

For any vaper interested in both the hobby aspect and money saving aspect, it's really the only way to go.

If you want to pursue this, please continue to ask questions and watch YouTube videos about DIY building. It's a lot of fun, and pretty cool to save a lot of money on disposable units. Not to mention the fact that the number of DIY atomizers far outstrips the number of units with disposable coils, so your choices are practically endless.
12-10-2017 02:24 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (10-12-2017), Fatboy (10-14-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

So, to help answer your questions abut what coil to choose, you need to tell us first what type of vaping you intend to do?

What power?
What style (MTL or DL)?
What NIC and what PG/VG ratio juice do you use?

That's a good start...
12-10-2017 02:31 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
gentlydoingit* (10-12-2017)
KareemDono Offline

1. I want to vape between 40-65W
2. DL style
3. I vape on 3mg nic level and almost all of the juices that i use are 70/30 vg/pg rartio or 75/25.
12-10-2017 03:33 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

OK, well first off, yes single coil builds are all around easier. With a dual (parallel), you have to do twice the work to build, and twice the maintenance to clean. It's also trickier to get both coils to glow evenly from the center out and at the same time. It's nothing you can't master in time but it is a definite consideration for the short term.

Remember that with a parallel build, you are effectively halving the resistance of the coils. So, if you want a .35 Ohm parallel build, you will install two .7 Ohm coils. In a single, the resistance is only for the single coil so you would want a .35 Ohm coil. At your desired wattage, I think a .35 coil would be good. Others will chime in as well.

Are you interested in big clouds or big flavor, or the middle range for both? Also, will you be using power mode or temperature control? That also matters a lot.
12-10-2017 03:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (10-12-2017)
KareemDono Offline

(12-10-2017 03:38 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  OK, well first off, yes single coil builds are all around easier. With a dual (parallel), you have to do twice the work to build, and twice the maintenance to clean. It's also trickier to get both coils to glow evenly from the center out and at the same time. It's nothing you can't master in time but it is a definite consideration for the short term.

Remember that with a parallel build, you are effectively halving the resistance of the coils. So, if you want a .35 Ohm parallel build, you will install two .7 Ohm coils. In a single, the resistance is only for the single coil so you would want a .35 Ohm coil. At your desired wattage, I think a .35 coil would be good. Others will chime in as well.

Are you interested in big clouds or big flavor, or the middle range for both? Also, will you be using power mode or temperature control? That also matters a lot.
Im interested on getting a little bit a both, a good flavor and some thick clouds but not to the maximum.
and I will be vaping on power mode(wattages)
are the geekvape fused claptons good for what i desire? https://www.heavengifts.com/product/GeekVape-Fused-Clapton-Coil-2-In-1.html
12-10-2017 09:10 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Looks like they're .25 and .3, so as a single coil build I guess they would work. There are less expensive options out there.
13-10-2017 02:26 PM
Nitros Offline

Likes Given: 617
Geek Vape coils are good, but like TW said there are less expensive options out there. You can also get rolls of geek vape fused clapton wire. It give you a little more flexibility for your build in terms of resistance, number of wraps and ID of your coil, if you don't mind winding your own coil around a coil Jig or screw driver. Their rolls of coil are 10 feet so you'll certainly get more value out of it for the price. The Ammit 25 is a nice little RTA. The flavor is pretty good and well, seems like everything produces respectable cloudage these days lol. It's super easy to install your coil in it. Getting your wicking just right will take some practice. Too much and you'll dry hit and too little and you could experience some leaking. But don't get discouraged, it will take some trial and error but it's worth it when you get it just right. Check around YouTube, there are a ton of build and wick tutorials for the Ammit, which will help with all kinds of tips and tricks to perfecting it.
13-10-2017 11:48 PM