Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Please help me find my problem - VTR iC30/30s
JDub Offline

Likes Given: 5
Please help me find my problem - VTR iC30/30s
I'm a fairly new vaper.  4 weeks ago I started my vaping journy with a pair of Vision spinners (1300mah) and a pair of iClear 30 tanks.  I was fairly happy with this set up but I feel I have outgrown it.  I wanted more control over my vaping so I have steped up and now I have an issue.

3 days ago I recieved in the mail an iTaste VTR (new version without spinning 510 connector), the iClear 30s it comes with (2.1ohm), 3 x 18650 purple Efest batteries (2500mah, 35A) and an Efest LUC V4 charger.  I also put new coils in my iClear 30 tanks at the same time (2.1ohm).

My problem is I am having a terriable time with dry hits on all 3 tanks regardless of how full they are.  When I was using the spinner batteries I stayed mostly around 4.4v and never had a dry hit problem with either iC30.  Using the VTR even at 4.4v i only get 2 sometimes 3 good hits before its dry.  Even after letting the tanks sit over night on their sides I still have the same problem. Both the 30 and the 30s are doing the same thing.

Also I don't feel I'm getting a full 2500mah out of the batteries.  I'm guessing this could just be from higher power usage or maybe the spinners are over rating their power output.  People say they get several days out of a VTR with 2000mah and I'm lucky to get 12 hours before im in the red with 2500mah.  I do chain vape though.  About 6-9ml of juice a day.  Does this sound right?  I'm ok with that if it is I'm just wondering.

I have found my sweet spot is 10.5w but here i might only get 1 good hit before its dry enough that I feel like im breathing straight smoke from the wicks burning.  I'm thinking about getting an AeroTank because I want more airflow.  I'm more of a lung hitter.  Would I still have the same problem using a bottom coil like that?  How can I fix what I have to work better?  I like to keep a couple tanks with me all the time to swap flavors on the fly.

If you made it threw all that I posted I thank you and await any advice you may have.
26-04-2014 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,545
RE: Please help me find my problem - VTR iC30/30s
Hi and welcome JDub Good to have you here.

My guess is the wicks can't keep up. The coils can be rebuilt and rewicked though it looks fiddly. 

The battery life sounds reasonable to me - I think I used about 8 amp hours of charge yesterday. But that was chain vaping at very low resistance.

I've never used an Aerotank so couldn't say about that. The wicks on a bottom coiler have an easier life though as gravity is on their side and the wicks are immersed till the bottom of the tank.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
26-04-2014 08:40 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
JDub (04-26-2014)
JDub Offline

Thanks for the fast reply Don.

Glad to hear the battery life seems good.

I had the same thought about the wicks just not keeping up thats one of the reasons I'm interested in trying a bottom coil.  I just want to make sure thats my issue before I lay out more money and risk still being frustrated.  I see so many people are happy with their VTR/iC30-30s setups that I thought it could be something else.

Thanks again.
26-04-2014 08:51 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
Hi JDub, Welcome to TVF!

You're having the same problem a friend of mine had Smile the funny thing is he was so used to the dry hits that he started complaining about it when he actually tasted some flavour Big Grin

What's happened is the Vision Spinners are sagging more volts under load, those 1300mAh cells don't have anywhere near the capabilities of the Efest IMR cells so what you thought was 4.4 Volts was probably a good 1/2 to 3/4 of a volt less to the coil.

The VTR with the 18650 IMR cell will have virtually little to zero sag on a 2.1 Ohm coil hence the dry hits and burnt taste. Try lowering the volts and go from there. Good

Good luck
26-04-2014 11:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
JDub (04-26-2014)
JDub Offline

In my situation I didn't fully understand what a dry hit was untill now. I though it was a pain when I might not get good vapor or no flavor for a couple puffs.  This is just nasty when it happens.  I have found that lower power does help but doesn't give me that good vapor or lung hit I like. I think I'm going to give a bottom coil tank a try and see what that does for me. A local vape shop just opened near me.  They don't have much yet but they do have some protanks and aerotanks. They have some smaller tanks but I like the big ones.
26-04-2014 02:54 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Howdy and welcome aboard. 

Yep too high of voltage so the wicks can't keep up. The thing with this type of bottom feeder is that there is only a very tiny spot on the wick for the juice to come in from. So even though the wick always has juice on the outside it takes a bit for it to get to the coil. You can open the coil up a bit but then you end up with flooding sometimes. Many people swear it's really worth it to rebuild the aero and protanks. They love them. 

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
26-04-2014 05:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
JDub (04-27-2014), Spasmod (04-26-2014)
JDub Offline

Just a quick update.  I picked up an aerotank like I had planned.  For the first week I used it I had very few issues.  It was the best tank I had used yet.  After 8 days of daily use is it just a flooding piece of junk.  I have replaced the O-rings and the coil and nothing will stop it from flooding.  I will have it completely clean and and the second I put liquid back it it it floods before I can take my first hit.  I have tried every tip I can find to fix Kanger tanks online and nothing works.

Now I'm back using my 30/30s and the aerotank is bound for the trash.  Now to start my journey for a quality tank I guess.  I've learned to stay away from this over hyped junk.  Never again will a Kanger product touch my mods.
08-05-2014 08:08 AM
t1.8matt Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sorry to hear about your Aerotank. I just picked one up Saturday and have been running it on a Zmax and it has been very nice. Just taking a stab in the dark, what coils are you running on the Aerotank, v1 or v2 style?
03-09-2014 02:35 AM
NCHornet Offline

I am new but have been researching for days now. I am also going to buy the VTR, from what I have many people love the combo of the VTR and Pro Tank 2 and the Nautilus tanks. The Nautilus are suppose to be the perfect combo by many. 
29-12-2014 04:17 PM
NCHornet Offline

I got my VTR and I didn't care for the IClear 30S tank, I much prefer the PT 2, the draw is so much lighter and talk about clouds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine why anyone would want more clouds than this, lol!!!! I will be trying the Nautilus soon as well as ordering a Aero and a Nautilus Mini to give them a whirl with the VTR. Looking for more flavor at the moment. 
03-01-2015 11:54 PM