Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Picking out notes...
IndigoGlitter Offline

Likes Given: 92
Picking out notes...
Does that come with time? I have been looking at recipes and it is blowing my mind. Some of them have upwards of 6-8 flavors. How do you manage to pick out all those flavors? I want to try to clone a couple flavors I like but some of the recipes I have seen for others that have done that have flavors I never would have guessed where in the juice.

I am trying to treat it like cooking. I can pick out the flavors in a dish to a degree but I can also see what is in it to make my own recipe. I can't see the flavors in juice!

Trial and error I expect but.. geesh... this is killin' me.
07-06-2017 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 21,072
RE: Picking out notes...
Indigo, take baby steps - start with solo and 2-3 flavors and the rest will come in time. It is exactly like cooking... you can use premixed one-shots as you would use a cooking flavor mixed pouch - eventually most graduate to creating their own spice combinations and in DiY we create our own blends - add a little, remove a little, add elements we enjoy and tweak it as we go along until we find exactly what we like....it changes and gets updated almost always as we do with cooking....dry spices taste different from fresh and where grown - e-liquid same things between the suppliers... FW, FA, TPA/TFA, RF, CAP, each is different and used at different levels - my one suggestion is keep detailed notes....
07-06-2017 08:37 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
IndigoGlitter (06-08-2017)
IndigoGlitter Offline

Likes Given: 92
I have composition notebooks that I use for notes Smile . When I was making my own lotions, lip balms, scrubs and deodorants I kept one and whenever I would tweak it I would make a note of what I added and took away. I am going to do the same thing with the juice.

I never make notes with cooking though lol. I never make things the same way twice, not really. Cooking is a little more intuitive for me, My grandpa owned a cafeteria and restaurant. My grandma was a caterer and baker. My mom worked at my grandpas cafeteria then worked at several restaurants (more upscale not ones with prepackaged stuff). I would help her in the kitchen sometimes when she was working so I have been around cooking and baking literally all my life so when I cook I eyeball everything!

I like your suggestions. I think I'll pick out a half dozen singletons that I think will be good then go from there... any suggestions on which brand, on average mind you, has "better" flavor? Or is it a crap shoot?
08-06-2017 01:37 AM
Nitros Offline

Likes Given: 617
I wouldn't say any particular brand is the best. They all have some good flavors. A recipe website like ELR is a great resource though. They have a flavor list where you can search flavors and see other people notes on the flavor profile, or what they are most commonly used in, or paired with, and that can be pretty useful sometimes. Blueberry for example, pretty much every brand has at least one blueberry flavor, and all are a little unique. You may be looking for a blueberry profile that more authentic / natural, artificial, maybe even more towards a blueberry candy profile. Reading the notes on each might help you in your flavor search. Flavor is subjective though, so be prepared for some trial and error along the way. But before you know it, you'll be turning out some great DIY juice.
08-06-2017 07:23 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nitros's post:
IndigoGlitter (06-08-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 24,664
FB's spot on, Indigo. ELR is a great resource for both crafting your own ideas and copying other successful ones. Honestly, complex recipes are fun to nail, but most of the ones I tend to use for ADV are simple, easily repeatable, 3 or less ingredient gems. And my favorite trick of all is to buy concentrates that work great on their own. Black licorice, red licorice, Rainbow Drops, Grape Juice... I could go on. These are great ADV juices that are one single ingredient, since the manufacturer already nailed a great profile without the need for tweakage. But I do like to make all kinds of recipes, both simple and complex. I like having a wide variety of juices available at all times so I can keep it fresh.
09-06-2017 02:20 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (06-09-2017), Fatboy (06-09-2017), IndigoGlitter (06-09-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 24,664
By the way, Indigo... for your situation especially. Since you are limited on space, you may benefit greatly from the single mix recipes. Gathering 30 ingredients in bulk for storage can be an issue in your case...
09-06-2017 03:58 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (06-09-2017)