Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paired LG HB6 18650- one went bad, I wonder why
Boyblue Offline

Likes Given: 0
Paired LG HB6 18650- one went bad, I wonder why
I asked DW to toss down a couple batteries, when I put them in the mod nothing happened.  It turns out one of them is reading below 1 volt.  The steps are carpeted so I doubt there was any external physical damage when they hit the steps.  I believe I may have left the pair on my Xtar MC2 Li-ion USB Charger for longer than a day could this have caused the battery to go bad?

They're probably more than a year old and been charged over a hundred times, how long should they last?  Are they all on their way out should I be ordering replacements?  Once a battery losses it's partner should I toss the other or should I be looking for a single battery mod to make use of that battery Smile
04-10-2017 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 5,445
RE: Paired LG HB6 18650- one went bad, I wonder why
If it's a dual battery mod you really need a married pair of cells. One being a year old and charged a hundred times will never match the characteristics of a brand new cell!
Throwing batteries is never going to be good practice, even very minor damage to the wrap can cause a hard short while inside a mod! Afaik shock can also damage a cell without any external signs of damage.

Leaving batteries unattended while charging is a fire hazard, almost all chargers cut off at a full charge state so damage by over charging isn't likley unless  it's putting out over voltage.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
04-10-2017 10:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
ecignut (10-05-2017), Fatboy (10-04-2017)
Boyblue Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: Paired LG HB6 18650- one went bad, I wonder why
(04-10-2017 10:20 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  If it's a dual battery mod you really need a married pair of cells. One being a year old and charged a hundred times will never match the characteristics of a brand new cell!
Throwing batteries is never going to be good practice, even very minor damage to the wrap can cause a hard short while inside a mod! Afaik shock can also damage a cell without any external signs of damage.

Leaving batteries unattended while charging is a fire hazard, almost all chargers cut off at a full charge state so damage by over charging isn't likley unless  it's putting out over voltage.

I normally charge my batteries overnight but I believe I left that pair on the charger the following day.  If over charging is not a problem then it must have expired, I guess I'll give the other battery to a buddy that has a single battery mod.  
04-10-2017 11:10 PM