Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ordered new mech mod setup, safe?
bogarts Offline

Likes Given: 4
Ordered new mech mod setup, safe?
So I finally decided to order my own vape after trying a friends and he let me borrow it for a couple of weeks to see if I liked it enough to get my own. Because of him letting me borrow his mech mod I found that it was the best quality smoke I would be getting, as no other vape I have ever tried compared to it. So my total order was a Flagship mech mod, with a uwell crown sub ohm tank (with replacement .5 ohm coils), and samsung 25R 18650 batteries. Should I be using the .5 coils or should I be using the .25? Overall is this a safe enough setup assuming I never over/undercharge my batteries? I thought I had done enough research prior to ordering so I hope I didn't make a mistake, and would definitely rather be safe than sorry to both protect myself and the community as a whole, Thanks for any input!
22-03-2016 03:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
I'm incorrigible
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,051
RE: Ordered new mech mod setup, safe?
The .5 coil is certainly safe. At a full charge you are getting about 40 watts of power though. Not much. On the .25 you will get 80 watts which is about right for that mod. You will be using up all the amps it has though. So yes, you can use either one safely. I personal;ly would go .25 with a mech myself but it is pushing it slightly. The samsung 25r can handle it though. Now I'm not familiar with the flagship but I'm going to assume it has a 520 connector. You should not put any tank on a hybrid connector. Do you know the difference? On a hybrid your pin is connecting directly to the battery. On a 510 it connects to another generally adjustable pin first. 

I use a lot of unregulated devices. Some are mechanical some are not. Mechanical devices have no wiring or solder - that is what a tube mod is. I happen to like mechanicals. Truthfully though, today's regulated devices often hit has hard and are certainly safer. Learn about battery safety and know ohm's law. Go to this site to learn more:

http://www.steam-engine.org/

Study it and vape safe, buddy.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
22-03-2016 04:08 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
bogarts (03-22-2016), Chuck-Drl (03-22-2016)
Chuck-Drl Online
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,383
mechanical mods reqire a greater attention , if your mod feels hot give it a rest , battery safety becomes extremely important when using an unregulated mod . Don will likely resond , he is extremely knowledgeable in batteries and the safety there of , please follow any advice he offers.

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2016 04:16 AM by Chuck-Drl.)
22-03-2016 04:13 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuck-Drl's post:
bogarts (03-22-2016)
bogarts Offline

Thanks for the replies thus far! Here is a link to the model Flagship I bought, http://www.vaporbeast.com/smk-flagship-mechanical-mod.html, I do not believe it is a hybrid therefore I assume it is on the safer side? I definitely need to/want to educate myself further on the entire world behind batteries but just wanted to be sure on this specific setup before it comes in the mail. I am not to worried about the battery getting overly-hot due to my usage, whereas even when I borrowed my friends I would take a few rips and then put it down while I did whatever I was doing. I never really continuously vaped for anything longer than a minute or two at a time so that could probably be beneficial in terms of my owning a mech mod. 
22-03-2016 04:20 AM
paulS Offline
I'm incorrigible
FreeCycle

Yep. That is a 510 connector on the flagship. You are buying an authentic at the price of a clone. That is a great price. I know most of the USA made mods are generally 125+ dollars. You should be just fine. I recognize it now. It has one of the lowest voltage drops on the market - better than the Manhattan. I never owned one so I cannot speak more on it but it had great reviews when it came out.

On mech mods you want to use Sony VCT4s, LG H6, and Samsungs. In that order really. I am a fan of the Tesiyi as they rarely overheat. But Samsung above .2 are fine. As far as battery safety - first make sure you insert it correctly! There is no protection on a mech mod. Second, make sure your wrap is always completely intact. If you rip a wrap than rewrap it. Third, if your batteries begin to take longer to charge and discharge quicker - time for new ones.

Finally, keep asking questions here if you are unsure of ANYTHING. We will help you.

22-03-2016 04:44 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
bogarts (03-22-2016), Spasmod (03-22-2016)
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,110
I will add that you will love the crown tank! Smile It's a thirsty beast though lol

Keep Calm and Vape On!
22-03-2016 12:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mike.williams's post:
bogarts (03-22-2016)
bogarts Offline

So i got everything in the mail and have been vaping with my .5 ohm coil and have been really enjoying it! I am now wondering yet again if the .25 is safe for my flagship? If so, can anyone explain to me the differences between .5 and .25 ohm coils? I know to never use the .15 nickel coils on a mech mod, but still confused as to if the .25 are actually as safe for me to use as the .5? 
25-03-2016 08:11 PM
paulS Offline
I'm incorrigible
FreeCycle

The difference is that the .25 will trigger your mod to hit at a higher attage and use more amps. At .25 you are using 18 or so amps on a battery rated for 20-25 amps and hitting 80 or so watts. At .5 you are using only ten amps of power and hitting at 35 watts. Now this on a full charge with your battery. 

Now as you vape your voltage decreases from 4.2 which is a fully charged battery. A mech mod reads the resistance and supplies power accordingly. The less voltage you have the less amps and watts you use. Now I curently have a .11 coil in my atomizer. This with a single battery or even dual parallel batteries drains 38AMPS. Not really safe on a single tube at all. With a parallel set up with two batteries I can get about 40 amps of my batterioes but I am really pushing it. So I use a regulated mod with that set up. If I use a fresh battery at .11 ohm on a tube I'm pushing 178 watts through - a pretty darn hot vape. On a regulated I am setting my watts. So it is much easier and safer.

Please use this ... an ohm's law calculator

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Punch in the resistance of your coil and use 4.2 volts as your standard voltage (a fully charged battery). Then look at what amps it is pushing ... batteries are safe up to 20 amps ... which is what you push fully charged and that lasts only a while as your voltage will drop and so will your amps.

25-03-2016 10:55 PM
bogarts Offline

(25-03-2016 10:55 PM)paulS Wrote:  The difference is that the .25 will trigger your mod to hit at a higher attage and use more amps. At .25 you are using 18 or so amps on a battery rated for 20-25 amps and hitting 80 or so watts. At .5 you are using only ten amps of power and hitting at 35 watts. Now this on a full charge with your battery. 

Now as you vape your voltage decreases from 4.2 which is a fully charged battery. A mech mod reads the resistance and supplies power accordingly. The less voltage you have the less amps and watts you use. Now I curently have a .11 coil in my atomizer. This with a single battery or even dual parallel batteries drains 38AMPS. Not really safe on a single tube at all. With a parallel set up with two batteries I can get about 40 amps of my batterioes but I am really pushing it. So I use a regulated mod with that set up. If I use a fresh battery at .11 ohm on a tube I'm pushing 178 watts through - a pretty darn hot vape. On a regulated I am setting my watts. So it is much easier and safer.

Please use this ... an ohm's law calculator

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Punch in the resistance of your coil and use 4.2 volts as your standard voltage (a fully charged battery). Then look at what amps it is pushing ... batteries are safe up to 20 amps ... which is what you push fully charged and that lasts only a while as your voltage will drop and so will your amps.
Ok sounds good, so i punched in .25 ohm resistance, and the 4.2 like you said, and it comes out to 16.8 amps...so the .25 dual coil is definitely safe for even a fully charged battery?
26-03-2016 12:02 AM
gentlydoingit* Online
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,220
It's cool. You'll never be using 4.2v, even if you were it's still OK.  After battery sag and mod resistance/volt drop you'll likely see 3.8v so you'll top out at about 60w. Might be a little hot for the coil but I'd think it'll work as it should. 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
26-03-2016 02:21 AM