Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ohms Law and 'Safe' Vaping
Chummers Offline

Likes Given: 0
Ohms Law and 'Safe' Vaping
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help me understand - I get Ohms law, no problem.

My question is that I have an Aspire Pegasus mini and am using a 1.2Ohm kanthal coil, which is recommended for 15-20W.

It vapes great by the way :-)

My question is that if I look at any of the charts that show 'safe' zones like this one: http://www.epuff.co.uk/images/pageimages/899.jpg

It shows this as being way in the red in terms of the power. In fact this chart seems to make any mod with more than about 15W way too much, which is why I'm confused.

If you need less power as the coil resistance gets lower, how come people drive sub ohm coils at like 50W!?

Thanks for helping me understand!
04-02-2016 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,444
RE: Ohms Law and 'Safe' Vaping
It's simple bud.. stop looking at charts and just enjoy vaping Smile

The chart isn't far out, but I suspect it's an old concept for prebuilt coils, because you could get 1 ohm from one wrap or thirty wraps, both will have very different outcomes. And don't even get into different metals and wicking for coils..

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
04-02-2016 09:52 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
As gently said, there's a lot more to coils than just resistance. The thickness of the wire, the diameter of the coil, the amount of wraps, the kind of wick, all factor into it. That chart is decent for telling you settings for small coils like the older clearomizers use (like the ProTank, Nautilus, and other "mouth-to-lung" tanks) but even for that it's a bit outdated, since many of those can now handle more power. I can build an RDA with a 1.2 ohm coil that will easily handle 40W or more, even though that would destroy an eGo clearomizer coil. 
04-02-2016 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,108
This. Go by the recommended wattage on the coil not an old chart. The wick hole size, whether it is a dual or single coil, whether it is kanthal, ss, TI, nickel or ceramic come into play. Are they vertical coils? Wjhat is the airflow on the tank like. I can go on and on. Some tanks and coils don't even begin to vape well under 60 watts. That chart you linked to is for the old MTL tanks and cartomizers. It has very little relevance in today's era of vaping. 

Most coils for the new tanks clearly state the suggested range of the coil. A .5 clapton for the kanger mini can be vaped at 50 watts - not that I vape it that high. The .2 clapton for the kanger mini can be vaped up to 80 watts - again i don't vape them that high.

You need to experiment and determine whee you like vaping a particular coil. Start with recommended and work from there. On RBAs and RTAs it is all about the type of material and how you wicked the coil. On a vertical .25 build on my aromamizer I get amazing flavor at 55 watts. On my horizontal coils I get less vapor and flavor and don't vape beyond 45 watts with a .15 dual coil. Clearly I've learned vertical is better for almost any RTA.

Now you need to know ohm's law when you are using a mechanical device. Here you cannot set your wattage and the resistance of the coil determines the wattage. Your batteries can vent your coils can melt if you are not familiar with ohms law. This is where safety is paramount. Generally, you are pretty safe with a regulated mod. The worst scenario is a burnt coil for improper priming or too high a setting.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
04-02-2016 02:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Michael (02-04-2016)
Chummers Offline

Likes Given: 0
Thanks guys, all great advice and I'll forget the charts!!
04-02-2016 02:11 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Back to some old advice I've given out many, many times (applies to Kanthol coils, other types and TC not so much):

To determine where a coil should be vaped, here's a rule of thumb.  Look at your VOLTAGE at first.  For very thin wire (less than 28 awg), start at 3.4 volts and work your way up toward 3.9.  Somewhere in there you'll find the sweet spot - whatever the wattage comes out to will be what it will be.

For thicker gauges, 28-24, start at 3.6 or 3.7 and work up toward 4.0.  Same thing - usually around 3.8 or so, you'll find the sweet spot.  Whatever that wattage is.

For 22 awg or thicker Kanthol or twisted or Clapton type coil with much higher thermal capacities - start at 3.8 and work up toward 4.2 or 4.4.  I find they usually land around 4.2 as the sweet spot, but there are variances.

And so on.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
04-02-2016 06:19 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (02-05-2016), TinWhisker (01-05-2018)