Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not to vaping, very new to the vaping "culture"
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Not to vaping, very new to the vaping "culture"
Hello!  Looking for a place to talk about and learn more about vaping now that it's a "thing".  This looks like a nice little community with lots of room to grow...

My wife and I bought a couple of iJoy's back in 2009 to quit smoking.  We liked them well enough, but it worked a lot better for her than for me.  Eventually we both ended up smoking again.  Still have them and a ton of accessories - somewhere...

About 6 months back, a friend gave us a couple of the "new style" vape units.  We started on them & didn't like it at first, and a couple months later gave it a real try.  Within 48 hours we were both completely cigarette free!  Holy hell, this works!  Then the units (they were "pay it forward" units, we were teh 3rd owners) died on us and we didn't have the spare money to replace them - well, we now know, we didn't have the knowledge.  We didn't know what needed replacing and costs and such - if we had, we would have continued vaping!  But within days, we were smoking again.

Well Friday night we came into some unexpected money, and we were well aware of how much smoking had been costing us and we both missed vaping.  So we went on down to The Pink Spot here in Vegas and decided we were not only going to buy new units, we were going to learn about these mysterious things everyone is so enamored with.

We overpayed a bit for the equipment to be sure, but still made it out the door with quite a little setup for under $200 between the two of us - 3 eGo-C Twist 1100 MaH bases to share between us, 2 Pro-Tank mini II's (1 each), a couple chargers, spare heating elements, and lots & lots of liquids.  We went with the Ego-C's because neither of us want to carry around the bulky monstrosities that so many vape enthusiasts pack around, lol.  These puppies hit great & last all day, they're the size of a large pen and not too heavy, they look sleek and understated in all black and chrome - good enough!

I'm sure we'll graduate to cooler units as time goes by, but we're just very happy to have brand new, functional units and be done with cigarettes forever.

On another note - why the hell are people trying to ban these things?!  They're wonderful!!

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
30-03-2014 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
Fatboy (06-06-2016), JohnnyMac (04-07-2015), Whitesoxfan2579 (06-06-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: Not to vaping, very new to the vaping "culture"
Welcome to the forum. Such a simple question, so complicated an answer, the long and short is, they've subverted the whole nrt system.

Can you imagine, people sorting themselves out where the medicinal methods fail hopelessly and having a ball doing it? Thats not part of the plan at all, as "nicotine addicts" we are supposed to feel subjugated and belittled, now here we are, we have options and to make it worse, this option is actually proving to not be unhealthy.

What utter utter bastards we are!

That, is the long and short of it, and as more and more results come in from clinical trials, the worse it looks for the puritans who abhore smoking and who claim to want to help you to quit, ever noticed how all the nrt products either make you an object of redicule or are so vile that smoking seems favourable?

Then along comes vaping, something for everybody, flavours, devices, a hobby?

Niw you see why they want to ban it.

Its bed time here but welcome to the forum, have fun, I'll be back tomorrow.
30-03-2014 11:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
Almost Jaded (04-07-2014)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you are enjoying your new setup. 

As for your question I think it's like a lot of things, it comes down to Money. The tobacco industry is huge and of course Big Pharma is even bigger, then you have the taxman he loves cigarettes. 

As for overpaying, don't sweet it. A lot of us did and at least you have batteries that last longer than a couple hours. I used to carry four 350mah batteries with me and a charger pack that one would set in and charge and still have a hard time getting through the day with that setup. A lot of people love the twist. 

If budgeting is an issue I would really suggest learning how to rebuild your own coils. You can do it with the protank that you have and there are tons of videos that will show you how. It will not only save you money but work even better. A micro coil in a protank is pretty darn nice really. For $4 you can get enough wire to make a ton of coils and cotton is cheap as well. 

The think with your atomizers is that it won't take long and they will start tasting funky or not hitting well, this really gets frustrating especially when you know it's going to cost you a few bucks to put a new coil in it, so you don't change it as often as you really should to get that good hit you are always looking for. 

With making your own coils it's no big deal to always have a fresh coil. Also you don't always have to even wrap a new coil. You can just take the cotton out do a dry burn to burn off any gunk and stick new cotton in and away you go. 

In the next couple of weeks you will find yourself needed new heads so in the meantime you can watch video's and order some wire and then you are set. After that you will be looking at a number of months before your batteries are losing their punch. So take the time during those months to decide what your next kit will be. Put some of the money you save away for that purchase because it will come quicker than you think. 

The good news is that all the equipment is much cheaper now than it was just a few years ago. Start window shopping now and saving money and then you will really be able to replace what you have now with whatever it is you think you will like then. Very few people stick with their original kit. After a short time most people don't care at all about it feeling like a cig in their hand and really look for longer run times for batteries. Even better hitting atomizers and things like that. 

Good luck and Vape On!!

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
31-03-2014 12:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
Almost Jaded (04-07-2014), gords1001 (03-31-2014)
simeon15470 Offline

Likes Given: 2
RE: Not to vaping, very new to the vaping
Honestly its just natural human behavior. Scared to understand something new! I mean there's a vape store in my town! You wanna know what  my town did? Made the shop 21+ and I'm 19 so I'm smack-dab in the middle! The hypocrisy was sicking. You can buy cancer causing cigarettes if you are 18 but you cant get RDA  or even e-liquid. So obviously they're trying to make it LOOK bad. Like I said people are reluctant but over time they'll learn that vaping is no dangerous than riding your bike without your helmet. Keep calm and vape on!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 02:33 PM by simeon15470.)
10-07-2014 02:30 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like simeon15470's post:
Almost Jaded (04-06-2015), Don (07-10-2014), Spasmod (07-10-2014)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Welcome to the TVF family, Almost Jaded! I'm glad you were able to get yourselves back on the right track to quitting. Hang out with us and we'll teach you all the tricks to building inexpensive vaping rigs that will know your socks off. Like Gords said, start reading up on what is available now and set aside some money. It really won't take much to get all that is needed to get into some fun and seriously performing hardware. Even juices are inexpensive and quite delicious when you learn to make them yourself.

It's great to have you here with us! Smile
10-07-2014 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
Almost Jaded (04-06-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,566
Welcome to TVF buddy... it's not like me to miss a new member and not post.. my apologies.

Anything you need to know don't be afraid to ask, we're more than willing to help out wherever we can Good
10-07-2014 05:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Almost Jaded (04-06-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Zombie posting in my own thread, lol!  

This got so few responses that I kinda stopped coming around.  Happy to say, I've not only stick with vaping this past year, but gotten way into it.  So you'll be seeing a lot more of me now.

About teh same time I started wishing the eGo packed a little more punch, a friend that works at a club called me and said "You're into vaping, right?  Do you know what an iTaste MVP is?"  "Yeah, I've been thinking of buying one actually."  " Well don't waste your money, there's been one in our lost & found for like 2 months and they were gonna toss it, so you can have it for free."  SCORE!  Not only was it a free MVP, turns out it was a v2!  Got a ProTank2 to go with it (I was refiling the mini CONSTANTLY), and that was that for a while.

Started wanting a little more hit and was never pushing the MVP over 6-7 watts with the single coils on the Pro2, and my wife wanted something nicer than the eGo's too.  Bought a couple of ProTank3's with teh dual coils, and got her an iStick 30 - more than she'll ever need, so she'll be happy for a while.  Almost bought one for myself as well - but they told be about the upcoming 50, so I kept using the MVP and decided to wait.  In the meantime, I bought the last SubTank Mini they had in stock, because still wanted MOAR VAPORZ.  Turns out that even cranked to it's max 11 watts, the poor MVP couldn't run the OCC's very well, and I wasn't into rebuilding yet.  But I started absorbing every piece of information I could find on coils, tanks, mods - ALL OF THE THINGS.  I jumped into vaping, almost a year after I started, like I had gotten into audio equipemt, and then cars, and then guns over the years - once I'm in, I'm either a casual user, or an expert - there is no in between.

And then my 50 came in.

Game. On.

I'm not about the unregulated cloud chasing life, but everything I'd been soaking up for the last month came to a head.  My first coil build wasn't with the RBA, I jumped straight into rebuilding teh stock OCC's, because that looked more complicated.  Then I started using teh RBA, and learned about the problems people have had with teh SubTank.  Thankfully, it looks like mine is the v3, so no melting insulators for me.  Still, the wicking holes were tiny and I was getting dry hits.  Screw that noise - against the advice of the people at my favorite vape shop, I first dremmeled out the bottom holes.  Better - still not good enough.  The OCC's have nice big holes in teh sides, why doesn't this thing?!  That's an easy fix - I have a center punch and a drill...  Well, now my Kanger SubTank RBA has a dual coil build (not enough room in there my ass) and draws plenty of fluid to push them.

Next up - building a complete Mech mod and custom drip head from scratch.

This is fun.  :-)

06-04-2015 11:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-06-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Great to hear you've kept with it! Sounds like you've had a pretty similar progression as me, I started with a cigalike and then an eGo, then quickly upgraded to an MVP 2 and ProTank 2 and kept that for about a year before getting into mechanical mods, box mods, and now recently the Subtank. I've got the Subtank nano which doesn't have the RBA deck, but I'll probably get a Subtank mini to go with my shiny new iStick 50W that's coming in the mail soon. lol we really do have a lot of the same gear. 
Glad to hear you got the Sub with the fixed insulator, I got the Nano instead of the mini mostly because of PBusardo complaining about the insulators on his review video. 
Sounds like you've really turned vaping into a hobby, which in my opinion is the best way to stay away from cigarettes. Building a mod from scratch is an awesome idea, I've been meaning to do that myself but have just been too busy with work. But I've built a few custom flashlights and I can tell you it's very satisfying to use something that you built yourself. 
Welcome back to the forum, I can't wait to see how it all goes for you! 
06-04-2015 11:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-07-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

You will *love* the SubTank Mini/ iStick 50 combination.  Seriously, I can't say enough about it.  Black box + black seals on teh mini + anadjustable angle black tip - looks SWEEEEET.  Vaping at 20-30 watts it lasts ALL DAY.  And I go through almost 20 ml a day, so I get all day with HEAVY use (the battery life is why I got the 50, so far I haven't needed anywhere near 50 watts).

Seriously - it's like they were made for each other.

07-04-2015 12:22 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Holy smokes, you really do use a lot of juice! I usually vape more like 5-10 ml per day, so I expect I'll get a bit more run time lol. The main reason I'm getting the 50W is because of the runtime and the low resistance rating. I like the idea of being able to use my RDAs with .2 ohm builds on it if I want, but I expect it'll probably end up being the permanent residence of my SubTank and the RDAs will stay on top of my other mods. I have waaaaaay too much money wrapped up in mods lol. 
07-04-2015 04:26 AM