Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Noob Geezer
Atavar Offline

Likes Given: 0
Noob Geezer
Brand new to vaping and started on the recommendation of my doctor.  He suggested it after I told him the only way I could quit smoking was if he put me in a coma for a month.  I did suggest that if he did that he could put me on an IV diet and e-stim my muscles so I would wake up addiction free and skinny and buffed but he didn't think that was a good idea..  lol

I am 60+ years old, have smoked a pack a day for more than 40 of those years.  I have tried all the drugs and substitutes but nothing help me beat the addiction so I am trying vaping now in hopes that will let me gradually taper off nicotine and avoid all the other toxins and poisons in tobacco smoke.

My first mod is a Kanger TC-75 starter kit and I absolutely love it.  I am a bit of a tech head and this mod offers enough modes and controls to keep me interested.  

I went to the wrong local shop first and paid way too much money for the kit (like $74) but that is done and I am learning.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for what I get and I am very willing to pay a premium for help, advice and support.  Most of the shops here in Sioux falls are really like amateur hour, underfunded and undertrained, really not professional. It does get my goat when I do some research and they are charging 50-200 percent above internet prices for hardware.  

In addition to the kit tank I got an Aspire Quad-Flex Survival kit for a second tank, mainly because I was/am ignorant and thought the flexibility to configure different tanks could be a good thing. So far I have just set up the RDA and am really enjoying that for sitting on the couch at home watching TV.  

Today I picked up a Griffin RTA because I enjoyed building for the RDA so much and found the taste and experience of that superior to the Kenger mini top box with the factory coils.  Some growing pains with that as I learn how to assemble without creating leaks but I am getting there. 

TC mode seems to fit me best.  Just starting out my lungs are not uses to moist nicotine so I have to really control the harshness to avoid coughing fits.  Right now I have Kanthal coils (1.5 ohms) in the RDA and run it at 165 degrees which works and tastes great.  

For the Griffin (to avoid ingesting aluminum from the Kanthal) I am running SS coils (2.6 ohm) at about 175 degrees and again it is very pleasant.  The Griffin is much more finicky to build for with the wicking channels but I am slowly figuring it out.  

Right now I seem to be needing to change coils about every three batteries to stay away from burnt taste. Does that sound like about normal coil life or am I being too sensitive? I haven't tried re-wicking yet so that may save some work.  

Thanks to all for being here.  I am learning a tremendous amount from all the wisdom and anecdotes available.  I really appreciate this knowledge base. 
09-11-2016 02:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Atavar's post:
Chum (11-09-2016), Umi (11-09-2016)
Chum Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 918
RE: Noob Geezer
Hello and welcome from another Geezer!
09-11-2016 02:55 AM
Umi Offline
Queen of the World
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 5,057
Welcome from not a geezer!

[Image: header_mumei_by_sonicogfx-da391nr.png]
09-11-2016 04:05 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Umi's post:
Chum (11-09-2016), ecignut (11-09-2016), gentlydoingit* (11-09-2016), Michael (11-11-2016)
Nitros Offline

Likes Given: 617
Hello Atavar , and welcome ! 
I haven't personally build any SS coils but I would imagine they should last more than a few battery charges. I would suggest you try re-wicking and see how that goes. It took me a while to get my wicking just right. Mine were wicked a little too tight I think, so my first few times they didn't last long before I had to re-wick. I use a lot of high VG and sweet juices also, so that didn't help on top of the tight wick. I'm fairly new at this myself , so I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will chime in with some good suggestions also. 
09-11-2016 07:38 AM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,263
HI Atavar. Welcome to TVF there are many knowledgeable people on here so any questions ask away. Enjoy your stayGood

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
09-11-2016 09:05 AM
Whitesoxfan2579 Offline

Likes Given: 197
Welcome Atavar from another fellow geezer.
09-11-2016 12:29 PM
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,389
Hello and welcome from another fellow geezer, although you got a decade on me Smile

Definitely try rewicking. My coils last well over a month, the one I have in my Limitless plus I think is going on 2 months now. I do rewick about every 2 or three days, high VG & sweet juices. Plus I'm really finicky about taste. If it starts tasting the least bit funny I rewick.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
09-11-2016 01:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mike.williams's post:
ecignut (11-09-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
Welcome to TVF Atavar. Vaping and this forum are the only reasons I no longer have a pack a day habit. This is a great place to ask questions, and enjoy vaping.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
09-11-2016 03:19 PM
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,736
welcome to TVF Avitar .
re wicking will save a boat load of time and $$ , i have been running a parallel coil in one of my RDAs for near 3 months an been through several wicks . just pull your cotton out , get a nice glow on the bare coil let cool and wick.

Burbon comes from Kentucky , scotch comes from Scotland . Others deserve no bottle .
09-11-2016 03:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuck-Drl's post:
ecignut (11-09-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,451
Welcome aboard Avatar! Drinks
09-11-2016 07:58 PM