Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Non-stop Mouth Ulcers/Canker Sores!
Shamanism Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sad Non-stop Mouth Ulcers/Canker Sores!
So before I begin, let me tell you what I've found out about possible causes. Genetically predisposed to get them, I had been smoking cigarettes for a long time. Cigarettes create an Alkaline/basic environment, and the smoke actually KILLS off the bacteria that make them appear/stick around. After quitting smoking cigarettes and switching to vaping, though, I have had NON STOP mouth ulcers. It's been over a month since my last cigarette. Whenever one heals up, another pops up somewhere else in my mouth. Before everyone assumes that it's just quitting cigarettes, I have previously quit smoking cigarettes for a period of 49 days without switching to vaping, only to return to cigarettes thereafter. That was a much longer period than where I am at, and me being the Google maniac that I am, if I had non stop mouth ulcers then I know I would have discovered this much earlier about how smoking cigarettes prevents mouth ulcers/canker sores from returning. The only difference between then and now is this vaping.

I have been taking Lysine as a supplement for about 2 weeks. Upped the dose the past few days. I have been gargling salt water, applying salt directly onto them, rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash (both with and without alcohol) and have tried peroxide applications for possible treatments since I have been reading about this.

They seem to be healing well, but this is getting ridiculous how a new one or two or three will pop up.

I DO drink water after I'm vaping, knowing that it can be drying which would lead to having them more frequently. Never in my life has this been such a problem.

I currently vape at 25 watts with a 0.5 ohm coil on a Kangertech Topbox Mini starter kit.

It's hard for me to eat and most recently I'm getting a sore throat (past few days) which makes swallowing difficult enough.

Eating acidic foods can exacerbate them, I know that. I've started taking smaller hits with my vape, vaping less often, cleaning my drip tip regularly (been doing that for at least 2 weeks).

These most recent mouth sores started probably on Tuesday and it's now Saturday.

What gives? Is it the vaping? Even when I quit smoking cigarettes before, for that 49 day period I also drank much more water than usual, about the same that I am now. I don't know what the issue is and it depresses me to think of quitting vaping altogether. But if it's causing me these to be more prevalent than they SHOULD normally be, then I must give up the practice of trying to quit smoking (Which is why I got into vaping to begin with).

I also don't use a toothpaste that has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, learning that this chemical can make them appear (the foamy agent in MOST toothpastes).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, but I'm more looking to see if it's the vaping.
20-08-2016 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 4,628
RE: Non-stop Mouth Ulcers/Canker Sores!
this may actually be a reaction to metal rather than a kanker ,try using a plastic drip tip.

Dogs have owners , Cats have staff .
20-08-2016 04:04 PM
Shamanism Offline

My drip tip is plastic Sad it's what came with the starter kit.
20-08-2016 04:06 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,656
As you'll be aware from your searching, there are numerous causes for mouth ulcers. Most are related to changes in diet or routine, so yes, quitting smoking and starting vaping could be a cause.. you may be experiencing some reactions from toxins exiting your body after smoking or even be allergic to any of the vapour constituents.
 I'd consult your doctor or dentist for other possible causes if the symptoms are as chronic as you've said them to be.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
20-08-2016 04:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
BOB (08-20-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 21,072
I would continue working through the process of elimination. I would consult with an allergist....

You don't mention the propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerol (VG) ratio you're using.
20-08-2016 04:29 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
BOB (08-20-2016), gentlydoingit* (08-20-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,656
Nor nicotine level nor manufacturer of the juice.. if it's a gas station brand it could be full of undesirables.
25w sub ohm in could be too much of a big step, 8-15w on a 1.2+ ohm coil might break you in a little easier.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
20-08-2016 04:32 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
BOB (08-20-2016), Chuck-Drl (08-20-2016)
Shamanism Offline

All vape juices from VapeWild. I am on 65% VG and 35% PG.

I imagine if I were allergic to PG I would know by now? Perhaps I could see an allergist to determine and ask them to test for those lol. Started with 18 mg nicotine, now down to 9. Then going on to 6 after a few weeks.
20-08-2016 04:35 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 24,607
I've used Vapewild a lot and not noticed any issues, although that's hardly a declaration of safety about their juices. Welcome, by the way.

There are a lot of variables in play, as vaping consists of several basic ingredients to actually be vaping. You know them, of course, but anyway- Juice (which as a subcategory contains your nicotine, PG, VG, and flavoring agents that contain a number of additives as well, albeit food grade ones), coils (which are made of varying metals depending on the type of coil), cotton/silica wicking, power settings, etc. Any of these or even a combination of them could be exacerbating a hereditary predisposition, so you may not be able to overcome this. It could be an allergy to an ingredient, or as mentioned it may just require months of bodily adjustment to compensate for whatever you're missing from the cigarette smoke that you'd become accustomed to. I had adverse reactions, though much less severe than yours, the main one being lack of energy. That lasted a good 9 onths before I felt fully back to myself. I attributed it to the different way I was absorbing nicotine. It didn't help that I quit nic altogether for 3 month in between. Lol

Yes, talking to a doctor is a good idea. I hope that whatever the outcome, you aren't driven back to smoking because that is a death sentence.
20-08-2016 06:30 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like TinWhisker's post:
bibliora (08-21-2016), BOB (08-20-2016), Chuck-Drl (08-20-2016), ecignut (08-20-2016), Fatboy (08-20-2016), gentlydoingit* (08-20-2016), Odinxcore (08-20-2016), phlash (08-21-2016), Spasmod (08-20-2016)
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 4,628
good point TW i didn't even think of the coils nickel alergy is common.

Dogs have owners , Cats have staff .
20-08-2016 10:47 PM
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,340
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-All...and-vaping

Read this but do consult a doctor if it continues

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
20-08-2016 11:24 PM