Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nicotine levels and smoking vs vaping
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Nicotine levels and smoking vs vaping
I'm not sure where you got your data on the nicotine content of cigarettes, but I just looked it up and actually most cigarettes contain about 18mg of nicotine in one cigarette. But most of that is not absorbed by the smoker, and it's estimated that only about 1mg actually enters your blood stream. The rest is just blown away in the smoke. It's a similar situation with ecigs, you don't absorb anything near the full amount, and actually when you're vaping you take in less than you would when smoking, so it makes sense to have higher nicotine levels. If I inhaled as much smoke from a cigarette as a do from my ecig, I'd be unconscious before I even finished exhaling. As it stands, I use 6mg juice and it's far weaker than any cigarette, even in an RDA at .5 ohms and 70W.

Here's a link to a thorough article on another forum: Cigarette-Vaping Nicotine Equivalency
This article states that each cigarette contains on average 18mg of nicotine. But there is much less nicotine present in the smoke itself, and only about 1mg is absorbed into your body. Ecigs have similar results: very little of what's in the juice is actually present in the vapor, and even less finds its way into your bloodstream. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that it doesn't really matter how the levels compare in juice vs. cigarettes. The vaporizing and burning (respectively) process drastically reduces what you actually inhale, and you take in even less. There's no good way to directly correlate "1 cigarette equals twenty puffs of 12mg juice" because there are too many variables and a lot of it is unknown. Whatever works for you might be very different from what works for another person, so really it's a much better idea to allow people to decide for themselves how much they need. In my opinion 12-18mg is a good starting point if you're going to give someone a starter kit, but for some people that would be way too weak and for others it would be way too strong. 

I do agree with your point about flavors though, trying to replicate the taste of a cigarette is pointless. E-liquid isn't burned, so you won't get the same ashtray flavor, and honestly why would you want to? Just start people off with Apple Pie or Menthol or something, they're likely to be much more happy with it. If they still want to get tobacco flavors, there are a few good ones, but for a lot of vapers, using different flavors is just one more step away from cigarettes. 
16-04-2015 07:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,123
I smoked Lambert and Butler I started vaping 24mg British tobacco which was almost identical to LB stinkies at 10am 1st November 2013 and I've never looked back.. We are all different !!! But if a high mg work to get people off the stinkies why change that thinking. If its not broke why fix it. Dance2

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
19-04-2015 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
I've been reading everything I can dig up on this subject, and the reported results differ from my personal real world experience.  For isntance, the 2014 study from ecigarrette-research.com (http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/i...-nicotine) shows how much lower the nicotine transmission rate is.  And I'm not going to dispute this, because science.  

But both myself and many of my friends - many-year smokers all - find it much easier to get a nicotine buzz from vaping, than from smoking.  That test, using 18 mg/ml juice, saw very low transmission at 9w.  Whereas for instance, I was able to make myself dizzy and a little sick in well under an hour with 12 mg/ml fluid at similar power levels.  When I jumped to 20-25 watt levels, I was getting "buzzed" in 3-4 pulls with 6 mg juice, and I'm now at a 2!  This mirrors the results many of my friends have as well

This is interesting, in any event.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
21-04-2015 07:43 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Jaded, that's definitely interesting. I think for me, a lot of it has to do with how much more I vape. I was talking to a guy about vaping the other day, and he said that he's heard vaping is worse for you than cigarettes because you can do it anywhere. With cigarettes, you have to go outside and smoke one or two, then you're back inside for another hour or so before you go out again, whereas with e-cigs you can use them anywhere and he sees people just puffing away at an ecig for hours on end non-stop. Now, of course I set him straight on a few things there, how studies have shown that nicotine isn't harmful and cigarettes contain thousands of other chemicals, all that stuff. But he raised an interesting point: it's much easier to get nicotine overdose symptoms from vaping because we have a tendency to chain vape, even if we weren't chain smokers. And I can say from personal experience that pretty much any time I can, I'm vaping. Also the higher buzz you get from vaping could be because your body isn't used to that much nicotine. I use 6mg juice all day long and hardly feel anything from it, but you get buzzed from just a few puffs of 6mg. Perhaps I've built up a tolerance to it from using higher nic strength juice for so long. 
22-04-2015 02:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

I chain smoked my way through almost 2 packs a day for years.  The only times I ever got sick, was after maybe a night out where I literally chain smoked an entire pack in a couple of hours.  And even then, I wasn't really "nicotine sick" so much as my lungs were just trying to abondon ship altogether.  I have plenty of tolerance to nicotine, lol.

I started at 18 mg/ml, vaping on an eGo at roughly 5-6 watts.  After a few months, I was down to a 12 at those power levels, and I was happy with that.  And I vaped nonstop.  going through 4-6 ml a day at barely 6 watts, you gotta be hitting that thing nonstop, lol.  When I upgraded tot he MVP and dual coils, I jumped up to 8-9 watts.  12mg was quickly able to give me one helluva buzz, but I stuck with it.  Then I got my SubTank.  The larger hits, even with only 11 watts barely firing the 1.2 ohm coils, gave me headaches after an hour or two.  I dropped to a 6, and was back to vaping nonstop all day.

That's where I was when at when I got the iStick 50.  Running .6 ohms at 18-22 watts, that 6 mg juice made me dizzy in 3 deep hits!  So I dropped to a 3.  And later to a 2.

Note however, that with each bump inpower and subsequent drop in nic - my juice usage went up accordingly.  I've gone from 4-6 ml a day of 18 mg juice (average probably 80 mg total nic in the juice) to 15-20 ml at a 3 (45-60 mg per day total use) and didn't drop to my current 15-20 ml/day at a 2 (30-40 mg per day) until I really started cloud chasing - less nic overall, but a lot in each pull.  I never suffered through withdrawals or cravings.  My actual nicotine intake has only dropped in half over the course of a year.  And I don't care about dropping the nicotine - I'd be just as happy to still be at a 6 or a 12.  The ONLY reason I dropped, was because the bigger clouds resulted in getting "buzzed" too fast, and/or getting headaches because I legitimately never stop vaping unless I'm somewhere that I can't (which I never am for more than a couple of hours).

My only point throughout this entire thread has been that, in order to have a better success rate at gettingpeople to quit smoking, i think we should turn them on to "real" hardware and bigger clouds and higher power - at slightly lower nicotine levels - than what I usually see; namely, small 'starter kits" with low power and high nicotine.  The poeple I know that struggled to quit using these devices (including myself at first), didn't find the puffs to be satisfying.  Now that more powerful devices are more affordable, I think we should be recomending an iStick 30 or a Segali 50 at a 12-18 mg level, where we used to reccomend an eGo-C twist at 18 or 24 or even 36 mg strength.  i think we'll see a higher success rate.    

22-04-2015 06:07 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-22-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

That's a really good point Jaded. I think you're right, starting people off with something better than an eGo is the way to go. From my own experience talking to people, it seems like most smokers have at least tried an ecig but weren't satisfied with it so they went back to smoking. When I ask what they tried, it's always either a cigalike or eGo. It's sad that people have given up trying because of ineffective hardware, when they might have had better success with something a bit more powerful. 
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 03:14 PM by Michael.)
22-04-2015 03:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-22-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

See - this is why I will never go into politics.  I suck at getting my point across, LMAO.  That was literally my point from the OP on.  

22-04-2015 06:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
BOB (04-22-2015), Michael (04-22-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Lol my bad, I thought your point was the comparison of nicotine strength in smoking vs. vaping. Glad we got this sorted out Tongue
22-04-2015 09:26 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-23-2015), BOB (04-22-2015)
Notyobish Offline

Likes Given: 0
I know this is a old post but I just happened to come across it and wanted to add my two cents lol. Last year I decided that me and my husband would quit smoking. We went through soooo many devices - starting with the starter kit , mpv box , got every new kanger tank that came out etc. we were using 12mg nicotine going to juice bars etc. well after a couple months I went back to smoking and my hubby continued vaping. He of course started dripping making his own juice etc. fast forward up until 2 weeks ago I decided I was done smoking and started vaping again. This huge difference this time - I knew a lot more than when I first quit. I got myself a limitless sleeve mod , with a RDA. I'm vaping only 2mg nicotine , and unlike last time I haven't even craved a cigarette. With the RDA I get my nic fix and plenty of clouds lol and I didn't spend 100's on different e-cig devices. When I tried last time I remember getting headaches , probably from high nic - and not being satisfied with vaping. Now I am a happy non smoker who loves her mec-mod  
11-11-2015 04:45 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Notyobish's post:
Almost Jaded (11-11-2015), Chum (11-13-2015), Don (11-11-2015), mike.williams (03-13-2018), Spasmod (11-11-2015), TinWhisker (11-11-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Thanks for the input - and welcome to TVF!

11-11-2015 05:16 PM