Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nicotine levels and smoking vs vaping
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,295
Nicotine levels and smoking vs vaping
So, this is something I've been racking my brain over for a while now.  Why do people start with such high nic levels when they first try to quit?  And why do we (in general, most vaping places and general advice) continue to recommend that they do?

The average cigarette contains 2 mg of nicotine, and is smoked in 5-10 minutes, maybe 15-20 drags.  And some of that burns off between drags - but let's say you get 2 mg of nicotine in 5-10 minutes of smoking.

At a 12 mg/ml level, you get 2 mg in 1/6th of a ml.  That's roughly the same number of puffs, if you're running a lower wattage device (most of us started with eGo-C's and MVP's, I'm sure).

So why are people starting at absurdly high nicotine levels?  Furthermore - why aren't we as a community, recommending stronger devices - ESPECIALLY now that prices have dropped - at lower nic levels, in order to get more nicotine delivery "per puff" rather than a high percentage in the juice?

I know for a fact that when I went from 5-6 watts to 8-9, I had to drop my nic in half because of the increase in vapor gave me headaches.  When I got the iStick 50 and started vaping subohm builds with the SubTank, I got dizzy in 3 hits with 6 mg/ml, LOL!  Dropped to a 3 and a week later to a 2!

So - wouldn't it be better to get people into the newer, stronger stuff at like a 3-6, where they'reg gonna get that fix in 3-4 drags like you can from a smoke?  And if so - is there going to be a market for the weaker devices anymore once people figure this out?  Thoughts?     

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
15-04-2015 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,925
RE: Nicotine levels and smoking vs vaping
(15-04-2015 06:35 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  So, this is something I've been racking my brain over for a while now.  Why do people start with such high nic levels when they first try to quit?  And why do we (in general, most vaping places and general advice) continue to recommend that they do?

The average cigarette contains 2 mg of nicotine, and is smoked in 5-10 minutes, maybe 15-20 drags.  And some of that burns off between drags - but let's say you get 2 mg of nicotine in 5-10 minutes of smoking.

At a 12 mg/ml level, you get 2 mg in 1/6th of a ml.  That's roughly the same number of puffs, if you're running a lower wattage device (most of us started with eGo-C's and MVP's, I'm sure).

So why are people starting at absurdly high nicotine levels?  Furthermore - why aren't we as a community, recommending stronger devices - ESPECIALLY now that prices have dropped - at lower nic levels, in order to get more nicotine delivery "per puff" rather than a high percentage in the juice?

I know for a fact that when I went from 5-6 watts to 8-9, I had to drop my nic in half because of the increase in vapor gave me headaches.  When I got the iStick 50 and started vaping subohm builds with the SubTank, I got dizzy in 3 hits with 6 mg/ml, LOL!  Dropped to a 3 and a week later to a 2!

So - wouldn't it be better to get people into the newer, stronger stuff at like a 3-6, where they'reg gonna get that fix in 3-4 drags like you can from a smoke?  And if so - is there going to be a market for the weaker devices anymore once people figure this out?  Thoughts?     
Hi AJ - I think it is a time - relax thing. I started with the ego starter kit and it took me a couple of months to get used to it. Once I did I progressed through different stages to what I have now - Istick 20W with the nautilus mini. I enjoy the time factor as I did with my cigs. if I had gone straight to the level you are talking about and had my 'fix' in nil time I don't think I would have continued with it. It is only now that I am starting to look at the sub ohming thing and I have been vaping over a year now - it is a progression thing - a human trait.
15-04-2015 09:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
Almost Jaded (04-15-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
I started high MG because just getting off the smokes higher MG was needed because the way nic is absorbed is through the skin and tissue of the mouth into the bloodstream and at a lower rate than with cigarettes. And factor in how often we are taking in vape continually. Everyone is different and reach their comfortable plateau at different levels of juice consumption.
15-04-2015 10:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whiskey's post:
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I think part of it has to do with the fact that nicotine is not the only addictive chemical in cigarettes. There are tons of other chemicals that you are much more addicted to than the nicotine, but Ecigs don't contain then because they're harmful, so the extra nicotine helps you overcome the addiction to the tar. Plus as Whiskey said, it's absorbed differently. 
15-04-2015 03:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
18mg is the standard for a pack of full flavors stinkies.  When a person smokes a pack a day or more, you want to start them off at 18mg to keep them from going into nicotine withdrawls.  After four weeks or so, they should drop down to a 12mg....and so on.  If a person switches to or starts off with any high airflow tank, they should start at 6mg and work their way down, if that's what their goal is.

Personally, I started off at 18mg...dropped to 12mg...then dropped to 6mg when I got my IPV Mini V1 and Lemo tank.  Now I switch between 3mg and 6mg (Depends on the VG/PG).  I pretty much drip everything now, except when I'm driving.

The part I don't understand is why anyone would vape anything above 18mg at all.  Anything above 18mg can easily cause a person to nic out...which often leads to nausea, vomiting, and fainting.
16-04-2015 01:48 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nihilum's post:
Michael (04-16-2015)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

I used to use 24mg sometimes, but that was when I was using a disposable clearo that had terrible airflow and even worse flavor on an eGo 900mAh. With a weak setup like that, I needed more nicotine per puff to make up for the terrible vapor production. I think a big factor is just what gear you're using, like others have said 18mg or 12mg is often good for a clearo tank while an RDA should be used with 6mg or less. I tried 9mg in an RDA a couple of months ago and almost blacked out. 
16-04-2015 04:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-16-2015)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,709
I know a guy who vapes 30mg, down from 36 after a couple of years. In drippers.

Whatever it takes to keep you off the stinkies.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
16-04-2015 06:51 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Don's post:
BOB (04-16-2015), Michael (04-16-2015), randm (04-16-2015), Robjenko (04-18-2015)
Haze Kraze Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 8
Maybe at start they try to have the same experience as regular smoking ? Despite the fact of their being novice, they should at least have a lil bit info about what they're going to have. So to feel the same throat hit they go for higher mg level as E cig only has nicotine, not other chemicals like tobacco cigarettes have as Michael said too. Going for taste enhancers with lower nicotine level is bit cumbersome I guess. Higher nicotine level is the easiest way for them then. Scratch_one-s_head
16-04-2015 10:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Haze Kraze's post:
Michael (04-16-2015)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

I completely agree Haze. Beginners want to replicate the taste and feel of a cigarette, and they usually begin with inexpensive clearomizers that don't perform as well as the higher end atties we're used to, so combine those factors together and it means higher nic levels are almost mandatory. 
16-04-2015 06:24 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,295
This goes directly to a point I've made many, many times.  REPLICATING YOUR FAVORITE TOBACCO IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THING TO DO IN ORDER TO QUIT.  I did it - and I kept going back to cigs until I just got a neat flavor that tasted NOTHING like my cigarettes.  I have 6 friends now - including one guy who swore he would never quit smoking and didn't want to - who've had the same experience.  Struggled with trying to get a flavor that was familiar and quit - switched to a candy or fruity or smooth flavor that they liked that tasted NOTHING like their cigs - quit in under a week, never looked back.

And Michael mentions the low production of the eGo system - almost everyone I know started with the eGo-C or something similar.  And this is what I see most shops recomending - a simple setup like that, with high nic juice.  And I don't think that's the best way to go.

Nihilum - you mention 18 mg is the normal content for a pack of smokes.  But that's in the ENTIRE PACK, not per smoke.  And sometimes that can actually be as high as 50 mg, for the record.  Regardless - that means they're getting 18 mg A DAY from that pack.  So how is 18 mg juice correct?  That's 18 mg PER MILLILITER.  Who starts vaping and vapes less than ONE ML a day?!

I think if we direct beginners to better setups with more vapor production at lower nic levels, they'll have more success and enjoy vaping more.  The higher power levels will satisfy their throat/lung hit needs.  The higher temps and greater vape production delivers nicotine more efficiently.  People will see more success, faster.  

I think the key to getting these more accepted in the mainstream is overwhelming success.  No matter what the tobacco companies and pharma companies do, they can't stand in the face of more and more happy, successful vapers getting healthier and never touching another cigarette. 

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
16-04-2015 06:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Chum (11-13-2015)