Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to coil building. What guage do I use??
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
RE: New to coil building. What guage do I use??
(25-01-2016 01:27 AM)Guitarchikk Wrote:  Hey guys. I'm getting a Lush rda by Wotofo. I'm new to rebuildables and I have no idea about the wires. How do I know what guage to use and what kind of wire is the best? (I'm using a tesla invader mod)

I took a special interest when I saw that youre using a Tesla Invader, would this be the interchangeable 18650/26650 version, thats the one I have. Ive recently added an IPV3 Li to my collection as well. As far as what wires to use..
I prefer a relatively cool vape, but I always hated the ramp up time that Knathal had when sub ohming. The owner of my local vape shop suggested me trying Stainless Steel.. I did.. I loved it, so much quicker, Ive abandoned kanthal all together and I personally have setteled on one GO TO coil that seems to be great in both a tank (TFV4) and all of my drippers. Look at http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-My-Favorite-5
Any further questions? IM me Big Grin cheers!

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
31-01-2016 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
gentlydoingit* (04-02-2016)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(25-01-2016 06:55 PM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  I can't for the life of me find the previous threads where I've shared all this, so I guess I'll write it yet again for posterity, lol.

There is more to coil building than gauge and wraps.  You can build a .2 ohm coil with 28 awg if you make it small enough - but it's gonna fry your wick and itself REAL fast.  The fancy coils - twisted wire, Claptons, etc, and thicker gauges aren't just to look cool (okay, SOME are just to look cool, lol), they also have different thermal capacities and juice wicking traits.  So here's your primer.

Thinner wire has higher resistance, and lower thermal capacity.  It heats up faster.  Thicker wire has lower resistance, and higher thermal capacity - it handles more power, but it TAKES more power to heat.  With any gauge, it's the actual length of the wire that determines the resistance - more wraps is just making a longer strand.  Pretty simple.

BUT - the coil isn't the only thing you're dealing with.  You also have a wick, and juice.  If you get the coil too hot, it will overcook the juice and gunk up the coil.  It will also fry the shit out of your wicking material unless you're using Ready-X or something else exotic that can reenter the atmosphere and survive.  This is where coil DIAMETER comes into play, besides gauge and number of wraps.

When you run more heat (power), you need a to dissipate it over a wider area to avoid burning things.  20W on a huge coil will make a little vapor.  20W over a properly sized coil will make a quite a bit of vapor.  20W on a really small area will light something on fire.  When you start approaching 100 watts - or more - this is obviously even more important.

Because that's not complicated enough yet, you also have to keep juice coming into said wick and coil.  Thus, there is a practical limit to the length of the coil (lots of wraps) because the heat from the center out - if it's a really long coil, the center will heat up, and if you take a long puff, the center will be dry by the time the outer parts get warm.  Boom - nasty dry hit of death.  

So the more wraps you use, the more diameter to need to keep enough juice in the middle to keep absorbing the heat - but now you're adding wraps AND diameter, so your resistance is going up, which is antithetical to getting more power - you've reached the "limit" of what's reasonable with that gauge wire and you need to move up to something bigger.

Ignoring the really tight stuff (30 awg and smaller) here are some rules of thumb for Kanthol coils:

28 awg is good for coils up to maybe 2mm in diameter and up to about 9 wraps.  28 is great for vaping in the low 1 ohm range, and around 10-15 watts.  You can also make a pretty small coil without much worry.

26 awg is good for moderate sub ohming, or for multi coil builds that don't go too low.  Good up to 2.5 mm diameter and maybe 7 wraps, vaping around 20-25 watts on a single coil or a moderately powered dual coil setup.  Inside diameter should be at least 2mm.

24 awg is good for making a fairly low resistance single coil in the .4-.5 range, or a good dual coil setup without going absurdly low resistance and blowing up batteries.  Good up to 3mm diamter and vaping up to the 40 or MAYBE 50 watt range on a single coil, you want to be careful getting toward 7 wraps because it's thicker and you're making a pretty wide coil at that point.  2mm is a BARE minumum, risking dry hits.

22 awg makes very low resistance single coils.  You can easily build something around .25 with a single coil with 22 awg Kanthol.  You want a pretty big diameter to keep it fed, and more than 5-6 wraps isn't a good idea.  Multi coil builds with 22 awg will result in irresponsible ohm loads.  Under 2.5 mm inside diameter is a guaranteed bad hit unless you take a really short puff.  

Hope that helps. 
Absolutely a SUPER post.. Any newbie, and I'm sure a lot of seasoned vapers will get a lot out of that..
BRAVO!!

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
31-01-2016 03:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Galaxyrider's post:
Almost Jaded (02-01-2016), TinWhisker (04-25-2017)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,295
There's a reputation button for that.  Wink

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
01-02-2016 05:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (02-01-2016), TinWhisker (04-25-2017)
Rafy1125 Offline

Likes Given: 0
I'm trying to get .02 ohms which nickle g should I use 
02-04-2016 01:48 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,100
Dual coil? Which build deck?

0.02.. That's low even for tc! 6 2mm wraps of 26g will get you there, that's about the most stable all-rounder coil. 7 3mm wraps of 24g will be a beast but stable. 
I have to say, not a coil I'd build personally. I'd recommend you go for a 0.05. 10 3mm wraps of 30g. If it's a dripper your building it'll be a nice vape.  

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
02-04-2016 02:15 AM
Rafy1125 Offline

I got the RDA DOGA X2 and I was going to do a dual I was going to do an alien Clapton or a dual dragon coil like i ve done my research behind it all I'm going to be getting my snowwolf 200w tomorrow and I'm new to building coils but I really like making cloud and enjoying flavor 
02-04-2016 02:50 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,100
The snow wolf won't fire that low. Min resistance is 0.07.
Alien clapton is really hard to do! Fair play if you pull it off  Good
Given what you've said about how you intend to use it, I recommend somthing like 26g 34g kanthal fused clapton coils, 5 3mm wraps in dual. I personally wouldn't make a temp control alien clapton coil.. it could be done but it'd be huge and such low resistance it'll end up a single coil. Not to mention hotpots that are near impossible to get rid of.

Just to test it out, why not try some simple 5 2.5mm 24g kanthal coils, .2 ohms and itll be a very good vape.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
02-04-2016 03:02 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
BOB (04-02-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Alien Claptons are essentially fused Claptons that are way harder to make and just a little bit prettier. Personally I wouldn't try it for temp control. I've only tried it a couple times with kanthal and it's not any better than a normal fused clapton. But as gentlydoingit* said, more power to you if you can pull it off. 
02-04-2016 03:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rafy1125 Offline

What would u prefer for coil a build 
02-04-2016 03:14 AM