Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New To Rebuildables
kingtwiggy Offline

Likes Given: 0
New To Rebuildables
I'm considering trying to start on rebuildables, but not really sure where I should start.  I'm not into dripping at this point, I like my tank of juice and don't want to have to carry juice with me all the time.  All that being said, I'm on a fairly tight budget.  I'm looking for suggestions for inexpensive, fairly easy to use (for beginners) RBA's, and what supplies I should look to buy when I do take the plunge.  Sorry if all this has been answered, got my son tonight and don't have a lot of time to slog through the entire forum to find what I need.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Mike
21-04-2014 02:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes kingtwiggy's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
RE: New To Rebuildables
Howdy, the aqua is getting great reviews for a bottom feeder tank. I am a dripper and just got the new 3D in and love it. It's easy to set up like a normal dripper but also has a tank that you fill. Either one will serve you well. The 3D is going to be easier to set up if you ask me anyway. All you need for it is Some Kanthal wire I say go for 28 gauge it's easy to find and work with. I prefer "rolled" cotton, Some people like silicon wicks. Again the cotton is just super easy and cheap too. 

Good luck and I'm sure some of the other guys will be along with their suggestions before long. 

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
21-04-2014 05:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,544
I'd say start with a very cheap dripper. They are easier (usually) to build for a beginner and the skills are transferable. For a tank, I'd go for a Taifun GT clone first, just as it is easier to build and works very, very well. As does the Aqua but it does need a pair of coils and wicks. All of these can be built with kanthal and cotton wool or silica. Cotton wool is easier but needs replacing more often. It is a lot cheaper than silica too. Kanthal, I'd go for something between 0.25 and 0.3mm diameter (AWG sizes just aren't meaningful to me.) Some means of measuring resistance is essential. You really don't want to get the resistance too low - you want to start with a minimum resistance of around an ohm up to about 2.5 till you find what suits you best. It is important for there not to be shorts as these are rather bad for the power supply and stuff can get very hot, very fast. Which is why it is necessary to be able to measure resistance. You can get a cheap multimeter which will be adequate for under $10.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
21-04-2014 06:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I agree with all of the above.

My advice would be keep your clearomisers for now and get a dripper to play with. I was vehemently against the idea but now a trident clone is my go to device. The coiling skills are all transferable but there's nothing more frustrating than filling a tank with 5ml of juice and most of it getting dumped in your lap as the wicking isn't right. This is where the taifun gt or squape wins hands down. You can invert the tank and split it without messing about draining tanks.

A trident though is an awesome atty in its own right, very easy to build on, cheap, has airflow control so you can figure out what suits you all in one atty. It also gives great flavour and will happily run fine right down to serious sub ohm territory. As I say, its a great device.

Genesis atomisers are another good play ground but, you then need to convince liquid to get to your coil, as well as get your coil to work reliably and at a suitable resistance for your power supply.

As I say, its a lot to deal with on a first go, drippers, the worst you can do is flood it, as long as the wicks are wet, it'll vape, and many, me included find that dripping becomes as little of a ball ache as rollies used to be.
21-04-2014 07:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
kingtwiggy Offline

Thanks for all the feedback.  My local shop just got in some Trident's, and I'm considering them.  Also, I've been looking at clones.  Seems that I'm finding Kayfun clones cheaper than Taifuns...is Taifun a better choice than the Kayfun?  Just curious, at this point it seems as if I'm one of the resident "experts" on vaping in this small town, so I'd like to know if what I'm telling people is somewhat correct.
24-04-2014 02:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kingtwiggy's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 979
When I was looking, the taifun won over the kayfun. But the aqua came along, and took place of the taifun. 
I will actually be listing my taifun gt for sale in a little bit if your interested in it. 

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
24-04-2014 02:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pulsar's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
kingtwiggy Offline

Just picked up a Trident this morning, got some wire & cotton & did a quick basic build.  I'm hooked.  This thing kicks like a beast!  Once I get more comfortable building and wicking, I'll be set!  Already seeing huge clouds.

Again, thanks for the input.
26-04-2014 06:41 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like kingtwiggy's post:
Spasmod (04-26-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
No problem. I love my trident clone. It just vapes really nice. In fact I have not found a better all round dripper yet, which is why I recommend them.
26-04-2014 07:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
(26-04-2014 06:41 PM)kingtwiggy Wrote:  Just picked up a Trident this morning, got some wire & cotton & did a quick basic build.  I'm hooked.  This thing kicks like a beast!  Once I get more comfortable building and wicking, I'll be set!  Already seeing huge clouds.

Again, thanks for the input.

Awesome! I'm glad we could help and that you're enjoying your Trident Drinks
26-04-2014 10:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)
Gomtu Offline

Likes Given: 2
I'd like to recommend the RSST. It's a quite inexpensive RBA with many nice features, and it's a snap to set up. It has a spring loaded capture on the positive post, making it very easy to anchor that end of your coil, it has an insulated wick hole, so your coil heats from both ends at the same time, much more efficient, the tank is plastic all the way down so you can't ground out your wick and coil on it, and the center post is adjustable which is quite nice. You can get an RSST for around $26 if you look around.

Best of all, it's NOT a dripper....
16-05-2014 10:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gomtu's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-01-2016)