Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Member Looking for Recommendations
Chris1987 Offline

Likes Given: 0
New Member Looking for Recommendations
Hey guys. I'm Chris from Indianapolis. I'm 31 and work in IT. I started vaping about 6 months ago.

I'm currently using a Joytec ego aio that I bought from a local store here in Indy, but I want to buy something that is a step up from that.
Basically, I'm looking for a device that will give me more control over the flavor and temperature of the vaper. What features should I look for in a mod? At the same time, I don't want something that will be too complicated to use and has the potential to damage if I don't know what I'm doing. (stay away from mods that have sub-ohm capabilities right now?)

I'm a bit overwhelmed with vape terminology so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation here.
22-08-2018 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,227
RE: New Member Looking for Recommendations
Hi Chris - welcome to the forum. First off - nearly all mods have sub ohm capability - it is the tank that determines that. We need to know how you vape - MTL(mouth to lung) or DTL( direct to lung) - then we can move forward. You will get lots of recommendations here. We like giving recommendations[Image: tongue.gif].
22-08-2018 05:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
TinWhisker (08-22-2018)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,681
Welcome aboard! I typically recommend versatile gear, which has low power and higher power sub-ohm capabilities. That way you have a device that can grow with you.

That said, I'm finding myself recommending the Smoant Charon Mini. Can handle basically all of what you'd likely vape. It's got a small footprint, dual cells (external so you can get a couple pairs and always have a charged set ready to go), fires from 1 watt to 220 watts, and has a nice 2 inch LCD screen you can put a custom wallpaper on.

And that said, there are literally hundreds of device on the market so you will be able to find whatever you like, in both performance and aesthetics.

Along with the mod, you'll also need an atomizer to sit atop it. Those are less versatile, typically designed for a particular style of vaping. So, how do you plan to vape? Mouth to lung (MTL), which is typically the way a cigarette is smoked, into the mouth first then drawn into the lungs. Or direct lung (DL) which is drawn straight into the lungs. DL is typically higher powered than MTL, but does not need to be crazy high power. I DL vape with a .7 subohm coil at 24 watts. There are hundreds of atty's so you will again be able to find exactly what you want.

*Edit, ecignut in before me!
22-08-2018 05:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (08-22-2018)
Chris1987 Offline

I vape mouth to lung, but I've also done direct lung on my ego aio. 
Do mods typically have control over how open or closed the hit is?
22-08-2018 05:44 PM
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

(22-08-2018 05:44 PM)Chris1987 Wrote:  I vape mouth to lung, but I've also done direct lung on my ego aio. 
Do mods typically have control over how open or closed the hit is?

The atomizer will have adjustable airflow so you can determine that for yourself. The mod doesn't control airflow but it does control the power delivered. Think of the mod as a fancy battery that powers the atomizer.
22-08-2018 05:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
mike.williams (08-22-2018)
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,723
Welcome to TVF from a fellow IT geek! What Eddie an TW said. I dropped a good bit of money in the first month I started vaping because I bought the lower power mods and ended up wanting more fairly soon. There are many mods out that will do high and low wattage equally well.

The key is of course whether you vape Mouth to Lung (MTL) or Direct to Lung (DTL). Since you are a geek and I assume a tinker as well... beware of it turning into a hobbie Smile Heck what am I talking about enjoy it Smile

Keep Calm and Vape On!
22-08-2018 05:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like mike.williams's post:
ecignut (08-22-2018), TinWhisker (08-22-2018)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

And being an IT guy, you'll understand this. Vaping works on the principle of Ohm's Law. So, the coil in the atomizer is the resistance. The higher the resistance, the lower the power needed for proper atomization of the juice. Sub-ohm is literally just that; coils that are less than one Ohm. Those are suited for DL vaping, but again, they don't have to hit like a freight train to be a good vape. They can, of course, if you're into high power and clouds big enough to rain and produce lightning, but as I said before, I sub-ohm at .7 and just 24 watts. But I've also hit 80w at .2 because I wanted to see what all the fuss about massive clouds was. They're fun but expensive.
22-08-2018 05:50 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (08-22-2018), mike.williams (08-22-2018)
Chris1987 Offline

So if I go with the mod that tinwhisker recommended, what atomizer should I get that allows adjustable airflow?
Are atomizers different from tanks? Do they come in different capacities? Mostly interchangable?

I could buy a couple and have different eliquids in each and just switch when I want a different flavor, right?
22-08-2018 06:13 PM
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,723
Atomizer is just a general term that included tanks, rdas, rdta's etc. Definitly come in different capacities and some are better on flavor etc. I've mostly dripped lately so I may not be the best for recommending a tank. Since you MTL, Eddie (ecignut) might be your best bet for an atty recommendation.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
(This post was last modified: 22-08-2018 06:33 PM by mike.williams.)
22-08-2018 06:32 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mike.williams's post:
TinWhisker (08-22-2018)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

The atomizer is the tank. There are basically three types of atomizers- RDA, RTA, and RDTA. RDA does not have a tank, you drip juice directly onto the coils. RTA has the tank above the coils, and RDTA has the tank below.

Of those, RTA's are the ones with factory coil options or DIY deck options. Factory coils are replaceable units you toss out when it becomes fouled and screw in a whole new one. DIY decks come later, when you actually build the coils and install the cotton yourself. More on that later as you want to learn it.

For now you're probably going to want to go with an RTA and factory coil units.

*Edit again, Mike in ahead of me.
22-08-2018 06:32 PM