Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nautilus 2 Leakage...
Johnny Notech Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: Nautilus 2 Leakage...
(12-05-2017 08:15 PM)SCutshall Wrote:  Thought I'd start a separate thread from my "New Guy" thread to perhaps broaden the views.

Okay, took delivery of two Nautilus 2 tanks the other day. One for me and one for my wife. We are brand new to vaping and so far, with the fantastic help and deep pool of knowledge here within this forum, everything is going along very good (wife is a twenty year, pack a day smoker and I'm a thirty year two pack a dayer... we haven't had an analog icky stick in two days).

We are really enjoying the MTL experience of the Nautilus 2 tanks with the exception of the arcane leaking of liquid. After asking around here in my original initial thread and the internet we have put to play all suggestions with limited results and success.
The most telling thing we've discovered was a YouTube video by "Vaping with Vic" whereby he reviews the Nautilus 2 and openly admits the only downfall for him is the chronic leaking. However he then states a workaround and fix for this... after refilling the tank and tightening down the outer metal sleeve, just before the final turn, flip the tank upside down and then do the final snugging.
We've employed his method with limited results.
After my initial fill of liquid, on the day we received ours, I had zero issues whereas my wife's leaked out of the air intake holes; when I refilled hers I employed Vic's technique and her's leaked worse; my first refill -- again I did the flip before final snugging, and mine leaked worse than her's; last evening I refilled her's and it leaked a little and stopped and has been good since whereas I refilled mine and it leaked worse than ever... this morning, mine was fine until I vaped... about 10 minutes after vaping liquid was seeping out of the air intake holes and the area where the metal sleeve meets the base of the tank.
It's madness!
I have been careful to not overfill, I have both employed flipping and not flipping the tank on final tightening, I have really tightened the sleeve as well as lightly tightened the sleeve.
Baring all this and after spending a fair bit of time looking around the Net, I have found numerous people reviewing the Nautilus 2 on Net merchant sites as "fabulous" but an utter "disaster" due to theirs leaking... so I guess the upside is, we are not exclusively alone in this.

The best I can offer... it seems to leak out of the air intakes yet also may be leaking from the top of the glass tank (and up and over the tank and down the insides of the metal sleeve and then either out the air intakes and/or out of the threads that bring the metal sleeve down to flushly meet the base)... I say this because when ours leak it also seems like the glass tank has a decent coating of liquid on it -- the outside of the glass tank that is (but again, not always, and not when the leak is coming from the air intake holes).
Occasionally I am able to create a bubble of liquid to escape an air intake hole by lightly pressing the mouthpiece (drip tip, is that correct?) which leads me to think the leak is originating from air in the liquid thusly forcing liquid up and over the glass tank within the metal sleeve.

That's the best my non-engineering brain has got.

Anyone else have any clues or suggestions or ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks.
Mine was leaking, so I went back to Purple Haze where I live. Straight away the guy knew what was wrong. I'd bought some E-liquid online and the mixture was too runny, as it contained water. Also a tiny rubber ring had moved. He swapped out the liquid in the tank and put in some, which was more viscous. No leakage now. Good as the day he sold it to me. Good
06-10-2017 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sgerace21 Offline

Likes Given: 7
Not to bump this post but I think I found an easier way to fix this leak issue. Turning it upside down can be tedious and may also get a leak from the top end of the tank.

What I found to work for me is fill the tank with the airflow closed. Screw the tank cover back on and tighten all the way. Once tightened, open the airflow and back the tank cover off a half or a bit over half turn. This will release the pressure and you'll see some bubbles. Now you can tighten back up and adjust AF to your liking. This works well for me!
25-10-2017 01:44 AM
Tully Mars Offline

Likes Given: 0
(10-11-2017 04:09 PM)Tully Mars Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 08:15 PM)SCutshall Wrote:  Thought I'd start a separate thread from my "New Guy" thread to perhaps broaden the views.

Okay, took delivery of two Nautilus 2 tanks the other day. One for me and one for my wife. We are brand new to vaping and so far, with the fantastic help and deep pool of knowledge here within this forum, everything is going along very good (wife is a twenty year, pack a day smoker and I'm a thirty year two pack a dayer... we haven't had an analog icky stick in two days).

We are really enjoying the MTL experience of the Nautilus 2 tanks with the exception of the arcane leaking of liquid. After asking around here in my original initial thread and the internet we have put to play all suggestions with limited results and success.
The most telling thing we've discovered was a YouTube video by "Vaping with Vic" whereby he reviews the Nautilus 2 and openly admits the only downfall for him is the chronic leaking. However he then states a workaround and fix for this... after refilling the tank and tightening down the outer metal sleeve, just before the final turn, flip the tank upside down and then do the final snugging.
We've employed his method with limited results.
After my initial fill of liquid, on the day we received ours, I had zero issues whereas my wife's leaked out of the air intake holes; when I refilled hers I employed Vic's technique and her's leaked worse; my first refill -- again I did the flip before final snugging, and mine leaked worse than her's; last evening I refilled her's and it leaked a little and stopped and has been good since whereas I refilled mine and it leaked worse than ever... this morning, mine was fine until I vaped... about 10 minutes after vaping liquid was seeping out of the air intake holes and the area where the metal sleeve meets the base of the tank.
It's madness!
I have been careful to not overfill, I have both employed flipping and not flipping the tank on final tightening, I have really tightened the sleeve as well as lightly tightened the sleeve.
Baring all this and after spending a fair bit of time looking around the Net, I have found numerous people reviewing the Nautilus 2 on Net merchant sites as "fabulous" but an utter "disaster" due to theirs leaking... so I guess the upside is, we are not exclusively alone in this.

The best I can offer... it seems to leak out of the air intakes yet also may be leaking from the top of the glass tank (and up and over the tank and down the insides of the metal sleeve and then either out the air intakes and/or out of the threads that bring the metal sleeve down to flushly meet the base)... I say this because when ours leak it also seems like the glass tank has a decent coating of liquid on it -- the outside of the glass tank that is (but again, not always, and not when the leak is coming from the air intake holes).
Occasionally I am able to create a bubble of liquid to escape an air intake hole by lightly pressing the mouthpiece (drip tip, is that correct?) which leads me to think the leak is originating from air in the liquid thusly forcing liquid up and over the glass tank within the metal sleeve.

That's the best my non-engineering brain has got.

Anyone else have any clues or suggestions or ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks.

Bought 2 at the same time, followed manufacturer instructions and did not overfill and neither has ever leaked!!
10-11-2017 04:11 PM
chris-GER Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member

Likes Given: 2,611
I got the Nautilus 2 too and got no leaking issues.
Don't overfill it and close it fast, then shut the airflow and pull from it to do some underpressure to the tank, open the airflow and pull, repeat close&open 2-3 times and there will be no leaking. Prime the coils only with about 5-6 drips and everything will be good.

Greetings
Chris
10-11-2017 10:14 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 21,124
I have not responded to this thread because I posted somewhere else about this issue. I have used the Nautilus original for years and even now go back to it now and again so when this tank came out I got ''a loan'' of one for 2 weeks and really put it through its paces. Filled it - vaped it - put it upside down - on its side - on a slant - in fact every whichway - it never leaked. I did not go through any special rigmarole when filling or changing coils - I just did what one would normally do with a tank. I am at a loss as to what is going on with this tank for some people. Two of my friends have this tank and so does my wife and there has never been a problem - which - in the case of my wife - is a bloody miracle. So I am sorry but I have no fixes for you.
10-11-2017 10:50 PM