Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NBC & CDC Propaganda
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
NBC & CDC Propaganda
NBC News Claims E-Cig Ads Target Teens

I thought we were past this by now. The ecig community has been involved with the FDA for months trying to help people see the truth, and most of the major e-liquid brands have spent tons of money to rebrand their packaging with the express purpose of showing the FDA that we are not marketing to minors. Now I find this article, written less than 24 hours ago, in my Google news feed on my phone. I wasn't even looking for ecig articles, it just popped up as a featured news result, which means a hell of a lot of people will be seeing this load of propaganda. 

For anyone who doesn't have time to read the whole article, it basically boils down to this: the CDC and other so-called "health organizations" claim that e-cigs are being marketed to kids. Youth ecig use has gone up, they say, and the reason is that 2/3 of kids are seeing advertising for e-cigs in stores, on TV, in magazines, etc. What bothers me the most about this is that it's an issue we've already addressed. I have never seen a single ad that says "Hey kids, why not try vaping?" but that's the implication they are making. Ads are not targeting kids, that's a provable point. Many ecig companies are actively trying to discourage this false view of their marketing strategies. And the article points out several times that "youth see ads everywhere" for ecigs. Excuse me, but I don't think "seeing ads" equates to "are the targets of ads." Youth see ads for alcohol everywhere, just look at all the beer commercials during the Super Bowl or all the neon signs hanging in gas stations and restaurants, but no one is accusing beer companies of advertising to entice kids to drink. They're advertising to adults who are old enough to make their own decisions about whether or not they should have a beer. The same goes for ecigs. Yes, there are ads everywhere. Every gas station, drug store, vape shop, and even a lot of grocery stores now carry ecigs, but that doesn't mean they are targeting kids with these ads any more than the beer industry is. 

The problem with articles like this is that it doesn't affect vapers, because we already know the truth. It only affects public opinion, and that is dangerous. Non-vapers will see articles like this and see it mention diacetyl and "Popcorn lung" and kids using tobacco products, and they will turn against us. And we are the minority in this case, so if the big media and "health organizations" use these scare tactics and successfully turn public opinion against us, the results could be catastrophic. Millions of lives are on the line, lives that could be saved by people switching from smoking to vaping. 
06-01-2016 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Michael's post:
ADIE37 (01-08-2016), Almost Jaded (01-06-2016), ecignut (01-06-2016), Spasmod (01-06-2016), TinWhisker (01-06-2016), Xprimentyl (01-06-2016)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,919
RE: NBC & CDC Propaganda
It is all about money Michael - these organisations are backed by drug companies and tobacco companies - they fund them - that is how they survive. They will write anything for a few bucks - and lies and innuendo cost these companies more. It will never change - if it was not ecigs it would be something else - money does the talking.
06-01-2016 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
Michael (01-06-2016), Spasmod (01-06-2016), TinWhisker (01-06-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,039
You bet it's all about money. And it's an absolute guarantee there is nothing else in play. Certainly not public health.
06-01-2016 04:55 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (01-06-2016), Michael (01-06-2016), Spasmod (01-06-2016)
ecignut Offline
Senior Staff

(06-01-2016 04:55 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  You bet it's all about money. And it's an absolute guarantee there is nothing else in play. Certainly not public health.
They don't give a damn about public health - never will do and never have done. Organisations like these give it's founders a lot of money what do they want to know about public health for - to these people the public are a bloody nuisance.
06-01-2016 05:05 PM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

And for the NBC angle- it means nothing at all to them to air or not air a report like this. They were 'encouraged' to.
06-01-2016 05:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (01-06-2016), Michael (01-06-2016)
ecignut Offline
Senior Staff

(06-01-2016 05:06 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  And for the NBC angle- it means nothing at all to them to air or not air a report like this. They were 'encouraged' to.
Hi TW - Encouraged is too long a word to waste on these people - bribed is better - and more accurate.
06-01-2016 05:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Michael (01-06-2016), TinWhisker (01-06-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

I was being nice. You were being accurate.
06-01-2016 05:21 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (01-06-2016), Michael (01-06-2016), Spasmod (01-06-2016)
ecignut Offline
Senior Staff

(06-01-2016 05:21 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  I was being nice. You were being accurate.
You are a really good guy TW - except for your sense of humour[Image: smile.gif] but being nice about these vermin is more than I could bring myself to be - I am away to have a beer - and a looong vape[Image: smile.gif]
06-01-2016 05:34 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(06-01-2016 05:34 PM)ecignut Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 05:21 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  I was being nice. You were being accurate.
You are a really good guy TW - except for your sense of humour[Image: smile.gif] but being nice about these vermin is more than I could bring myself to be - I am away to have a beer - and a looong vape[Image: smile.gif]

Have a beer for me too! Wink 
06-01-2016 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
ecignut (01-06-2016)
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
I completely agree with what you all, but I think the article, though it’s completely skewed and propagandized, is surfacing deeper truths while digging for lies.

No, ads for e-cigarettes do NOT target kids; that’s absurd. I’ve not ever seen any outside of local shops and gas stations that are already selling e-cigs products, similar to the example Michael used with alcohol neons, etc. The closest thing to advertising I’ve been subjected to outside of a vape shop was hearing a local shop mentioned as a sponsor for some sporting event; aside from the mention of the name, there was no advertisement “for” them or even a mention as to what they sell. I would like to see the study that shows an irrefutable and direct correlation between money spent on ads and increased youth uptake other than a speculative “Duuur, see?? Both of the little lines went up at the same time!!!” I could easily flush a dollar a day down the toilet starting on November 1st and on January 31st, draw a “direct” connection between the money I flushed and the decrease in temperature…

The REAL issue that adds to any uptick in youths’ e-cigarette usage is something we talked about in other threads: vaping as a smoking cessation aid has been overshadowed, coopted and fetishized by young, white males who tend to be the face of vaping culture. Please note, I use “young, white males” in such terms as it is a demographic, not derogatorily and certainly not stereotyping. You never see promoted the 50-something man who quit a 35-year, 2-pack a day habit by vaping or see elevated the 30-something single mom who vapes to avoid exposing her kids to toxic, second-hand smoke, no. What you DO see in nearly every vape shop on both sides of the counter is a crowd of college-aged, white males for whom vaping is a hobby, not a stop-smoking aid, and as with any hobby, they obsess over it, love to talk about, love to engage in it, love to share it and bring others into the community, etc., and it’s rarely mentioned (or even a factor) that they started to quit smoking. NONE of those things are bad or wrong in and of themselves, but what they are to those on the outside looking in are indications that vaping is mostly an extracurricular activity most prevalent within the young and privileged classes, think recreational drugs or underage drinking. And sadly, I’m not sure how far from the mark that is sometimes. I hate to keep qualifying myself, but I shall: if the fine TVF community is any indication, I KNOW there are a lot of stop-smoking success stories and really great people out there who vape for the right reasons (whatever those may subjectively be,) but that doesn’t change the fact that I SEE these young guys selling vaping as a hobby: cloud-chasing, coil/mod building, recipe swapping, etc. It’s not the marketing that the CDC and FDA should be worried about; it’s the fact that young people need but fire up YouTube or go to any shop to see other young people tell them how much FUN vaping is and how COOL all the little gadgets are and see HUGE clouds, and if they’re lucky, a quick pre or post-addendum that vaping “isn’t safe, just less harmful than cigarettes.” I can’t stress it enough, none of those things are objectively wrong at all; I’m not saying that; what I AM saying is that that can’t be the face of the viable stop-smoking aid that vaping should be first and foremost if we ever hope for it to be treated as anything other than a hobby that so closely mimics and flies in the face of a known, addictive killer. I know, it sucks to think we should have to pander to ignorance, but if we concede that most likely aren’t ACTIVELY ignorant, given what they SEE of vaping (huge, noctoine-infused clouds a hundred times more dense than cigarette smoke, vape shops frequented by 20-somethings who look like the rolled out of bed at 2pm, smoked a joint then built a coil, etc.) it’s easy to see how it might be a cause for concern.

I say all that to say I acknowledge the appeal vaping has to younger crowds; like alcohol, weed, and cigarettes, anything their parents tell them NOT to do and they see the “big” kids enjoying is going to entice; the forbidden fruit, you’re going to have that. But to call out the ENTIRE movement as preying on and indoctrinating the young is a baseless witch hunt; please, give all parties involved more credit than that! They’re already holding vaping to the same (if not HARSHER) standards as tobacco; so, all things being equal, assuming most shops are NOT selling to minors, the onus falls on the “of-age” who give the underage ready access; the FDA and CDC need to point their torches there: get off their asses and come up with some cold, hard, agreed-upon FACTS they can deliver to the consenting ADULTS who CHOOSE to partake and allow THEM (us) to make informed decisions.

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
06-01-2016 05:50 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Xprimentyl's post:
ecignut (01-06-2016), Michael (01-06-2016), Spasmod (01-06-2016), TinWhisker (01-06-2016)