Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My strategy for making ejuice
stev32k Offline

Likes Given: 27
My strategy for making ejuice
I've received everything needed to start producing my own ejuice. The problem for me is there is an almost infinite number of mixtures possible. So I've been pondering how to find the one or two, or three I really love. My reason for vaping in the first place is to quit smoking and the flavor is a secondary consideration. So I've developed a strategy that ,hopefully, will let me narrow down the choices.

I've broken down the juice making process to phases. First determine the optimum (for me) nicotine level. To do this I plan to make five batches of a 50:50 mix of PG:VG with nicotine levels that vary from 5mg/ml to 25mg/ml with no flavor. Then repeat with one of two concentrations that seem the best. I'm going to make the batches 3 ml each to reduce the quantity of chemicals used.

Next I'll vary the ratio of PG:VG at the chosen nicotine level(s) to see what effect that has on the juice. I'll vary the ratios from 30:70 PG:VG to 70:30 PG:VG. These will also be flavorless. I anticipate this part to require one or more iterations. I'm guessing that variations in the carrier ratios will change my perception of the "best" nicotine levels. My idea of the best nicotine level will be the one that gives a mild, but adequate nicotine hit. I don't want something that burns my throat but I do want it to feel like I'm getting an adequate nicotine hit.

Once I've settled on a nicotine level and carrier ratio I'll start trying different flavors. This is the part that may never boil down to one or two favorites. There are too many choices and combinations possible.
21-05-2016 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes stev32k's post:
Fatboy (05-21-2016)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,930
RE: My strategy for making ejuice
Hi Stev - there is no reason to go over 20mg nic - in fact you will probably find that 18mg is more than adequate. The more nic the harsher the hit. Also the higher the PG the harsher the hit so I wouldn't go more than 50% PG. If you are using a tank the higher the VG you use the thicker the liquid and ready made coils will not handle that. So there you go - half your experiment done[Image: smile.gif]. Best of luck with it - let us know how you get on.
21-05-2016 03:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
Fatboy (05-21-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
Hi Stev, I concur that nic over 18 mg is deadly.  I was a pack a day smoker and got some juice with max nic of 36mg.  It was not only harsh, but made me sick.  I found 12mg to be a good place to start.
21-05-2016 05:46 PM
stev32k Offline

Most of the juice I've used to this point has had a nicotine concentration of 20 or 24mg/ml. Some has been harsh and some has been just right. So I don't think anything over 18 is deadly.
21-05-2016 06:25 PM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,699
The differences in throat punch may be the mix of VG : PG. PG is definitely harsher than VG from that end of things.

Let us know how you get on with it. We'll be watching your posts.
21-05-2016 06:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (05-21-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
You've got an interesting method, but honestly it seems a bit more complex than it needs to be in my opinion. If you've used pre-mixed eliquid before, it's good to try to replicate something that you like. If you haven't used pre-mixed juice before, there are still some good standards that can help so you wouldn't have to go to that much trouble. 

In general, if you're using a low-power tank with higher resistance (about 1.0 ohms or higher) then you'll need juice that's at least 40% PG so it will be thin enough to wick properly. For this, you'll want something in the range of 9mg to 18mg nicotine. 

For high power tanks and RDAs with low resistance (below 1.0 ohms) then you'll want higher VG juice, around 60-80% VG. Higher than about 80%, and the juice won't wick properly and you'll get dry hits. Lower than about 60%, and you'll get a very harsh throat hit. For this, you'll want about 6mg nicotine or less. If you use more than that, it'll hit way too hard and can quickly give you a headache or even make you nauseous.

So depending on how you vape, there's no reason to try all those different combinations of PG/VG and nicotine. 

As far as flavor recipes, the best way to do it is to start out simple. Find flavors you like, and start with that. For example, I really like custard vapes, so I found a vanilla custard flavor that's simple and easy to make and started there. Then once I got better at mixing, I started tinkering with the recipe to make it more tailored to my liking, and creating new recipes out of flavors that sounded good together (like mixing Caramel with Cappuccino, because why not?). 

But of course, these are all just recommendations and you can do it however you want. It's an interesting idea, and I'm looking forward to hearing how things work out for you. 
21-05-2016 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (05-21-2016), ecignut (05-21-2016), stev32k (05-21-2016)
stev32k Offline

Thanks Michael that will save me some work. I decided to go this route because of the almost infinite number of ejuice combinations and because I was buying two or more different juices every week. Also as I've said before all the flavors taste the same - tasteless. So if I can't taste any flavor why pay for it? I also know that if I'm going to find the right combination for me I must control the variables and change one parameter at a time. If you change more than one parameter in a batch you are not sure exactly which one did what.

I've finished making two batches. One is 10mg/ml nicotine and the other 15mg/ml and neither have any flavoring. They are both 50:50 PG:VG. I have several small aspire tanks that hold a little less than 3ml and have 1.8 ohm coils. I filled two tanks with the different mixes and am busy puffing away. Both tanks are set at 3.8 volts. I noticed two things both mixes have in common. They both taste just like every other juice I've tried and they both produce less vapor than the store bought. So far I can't tell any difference in nicotine levels and if I had not marked the tanks I wouldn't know which was which.

There is almost no throat hit from either one. Both are very mild even if I hold the fire button down for a count of four or five before taking a puff. I get more vapor after holding the button down for awhile but still very mild to zero throat hit.

One other thing has become clear. I really need to work on my technique. I have prior experience in analytical and biochemical labs but my hands are not as steady as they once were and holding a syringe over a 10ml bottle with a tiny neck was a challenge. I may have to purchase a lab stand and clamp or use a small beaker in place of the bottle.
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 09:02 PM by stev32k.)
21-05-2016 09:01 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Higher VG will produce more vapor, so if your homemade juice produces less, my guess is the store bought juice was higher VG. You say you're using 1.8 ohm coils at 3.8V, for that the most VG I would use is 70VG/30PG or lower. 

I can advise on one flavor NOT to try, thanks to my own mixing escapade this afternoon. I tried mixing three flavors: Pecan Pie, Blueberry and Apple. Please do not try this mix at home. It is awful. REALLY awful. Suicide2

As far as your juice not having much/any flavor... Have you been vaping for very long? And do you still smoke? 

When people first switch to vaping, it's common to be unable to taste the flavors very well, since your taste buds are practically destroyed by the tobacco. Usually the flavors start turning up within a couple of weeks. Or you could be experiencing a phenomenon called "Vaper's Tongue" which can be caused by using the same flavor over and over for a long time or as a result of not being hydrated enough. Be sure to drink plenty of water, since PG and VG both will dehydrate you which can mute the flavors, and try switching out flavors if you don't very often. Though it sounds like you do change flavors often enough that shouldn't be the problem. Also, it could just depend on the juice. Are you buying good quality stuff, or cheap juice from a gas station? Low quality juice can have odd flavors or just not much flavor at all, so be sure to get good stuff. When you're mixing your own juice, you can add more flavor if you need to, so that's helpful as well. 

Just a few tips, I don't know if these fit your particular situation but they're good pointers that cover most cases so hopefully something in there will help Smile
21-05-2016 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
stev32k Offline

My last cigarette was on February 6 this year. I tried to light one up about a month ago and didn't like it. I just have no desire to smoke, but I do need the nicotine (sad I know, but I'm strongly addicted). My sense of smell has improved but I still cannot taste flavors in ejuice - at least the ones I've tried so far. Everything I've tried comes from Vista Vapors. I was told they are a pretty good supplier, but they are the only one I've ever used so maybe I don't know what good juice is?

I just changed the coils in both tanks and the vapor production has increased. The throat hit is still about the same for both - very mild. I think I may like the flavorless juice better than any flavored I've tried so far.
21-05-2016 10:25 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Drink more water.  Like - a LOT more water.

What are you vaping on (mod/tank, etc)?

We can help a lot more if we know.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
21-05-2016 10:46 PM