Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mixing Supplies?
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,425
Mixing Supplies?
Hey guys, so I've decided to enter the world of DIY ejuice mixing and I have a few questions. First of all, where do you guys get your base flavors? I've looked around the interwebs a bit, but most of the places I've come across have pre-made flavors that you just add PG/VG and nicotine. But I want to find as basic of flavors as I can, so that I can mix them into my own recipes. For example, I don't want a pre-made caramel apple: instead, I want to buy caramel flavoring and apple flavoring and mix them. I feel like that will give me a lot more freedom in mixing, since I won't have to worry about which complex flavor combination works well with another complex flavor variation. So where in the world can I find the more basic flavorings?

Also, do you guys know of any good sites, books, videos etc that can explain the basics? I've never mixed my own juices before, and I don't really know where to begin. I'd ask questions here, but honestly I don't even know what questions to ask at this point other than "how the hell do I do this?"

I was really hoping to find a B&M shop that sold concentrated flavors and DIY supplies, but it seems I'll have to purchase from the dreaded internets. For some reason I have this thing about buying online, it just bugs me, but I've got a friend who is letting me set up a "mad scientist mixing lab" (her words, not mine) at her place as long as I mix custom flavors for her, so that way I can have a permanent mixing spot without my parents getting all over me about it. (they don't know that I vape, and I'm still living with them atm)
27-09-2014 05:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,002
RE: Mixing Supplies?
Have a look at this thread Michael.. it might be a good starting point. I know since then that Galaxyrider is successfully making many different wonderful recipes. Hopefully he can help you in the right direction, and being in the US would be a big bonus too.

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-American-Juicers
27-09-2014 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Thanks mate, I'll check it out asap Smile 
27-09-2014 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Howdy, Wizard labs is a good place to get nic base. It has some flavor of it's own and quite a bit of throat hit. Vaporrenue has good nic as well, almost no flavor or TH though. Which I like because I want to taste the juice not the nic. Also I'm a bit of a cloud chaser and their nic is easy on the throat.

For flavorings, I would suggest Capella

http://capellaflavordrops.com/flavordrops.aspx

Mt Baker also has a good rep.

http://www.mtbakervapor.com/electronic-c...te-flavors

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
27-09-2014 06:53 PM
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Thanks for the suggestions mate. I'll probably go with Vaporrenue for the nice. That sounds like a good base, I'm also getting into cloud chasing and throat hit is not my friend. I'm just going to be mixing for myself and one friend, at least for starters, and she also likes a smooth vape without much throat hit. (although she's using my old MVP, so she has no idea just how strong throat hit can get lol) I definitely don't want a base with its own flavor, since I want to have as much control as possible over what ingredients I have and what my flavors taste like. That's one reason I want just basic flavors, not pre-made piña colada that I add VG to. That just seems like "paint by numbers" style mixing IMHO. 

Mainly I'm looking for just a few specific flavors atm: French vanilla, Apple, caramel, custard, mint, cinnamon, and maybe some berry flavors. I feel like that would be enough to get me started with a lot of possible combinations, and not much chance of totally screwing up because all those should work together well. 
28-09-2014 05:48 AM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,282
Cinnamon can be a tank cracker. So watch what you use it in.  Most citrus flavours are bad for plastic tanks too. Be prepared to look around. Some flavours can be lovely from one maker and horrible from others. Not all vanilla tastes the same. Some is repulsive. But what appeals to me may be horrible for you.

So go with what works for you. 

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
28-09-2014 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
I'm back!

I'm mostly going to be using the cinnamon in my RDAs, and it will always be mixed with other flavors. I'm thinking I'll make a "fire and ice" cinnamon with mint, since that's currently my favorite flavor of high VG that I have. Also mixed with Apple, Caramel and a hint of Custard for a creamy apple pie flavor. I don't have any plastic tanks, just metal and glass, but I'll be mixing some for my friend who is currently using a Kanger T3D. Guess I'll just have to get her to upgrade to a glass tank lol
28-09-2014 10:51 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Cinnamon is one of the hardest flavors to find a really good one of. Some of them are just terrible. A word of advice. Try small samples first, unless they have a smoking hot deal on larger sizes.

On the cinnamon. LorAnn has a cinnamon red hot super extra strength one used for making hard candies with. Vaped it tastes EXACTLY like Cinnamon Red Hots. It is fantastic in mixes. If you want cinnamon that tastes like bakery cinnamon not candy cinnamon you can make your own by simply putting a cinnamon stick in PG and letting it steep in hot water for a good long time. But really that is for bakery mixes not candy type mixes and it doesn't go well mixed with fruit flavors. The cinnamon red hot is superb mixed with fruits. Also I have never found a menthol that I like and I smoked Kools for decades. I have now been vaping cinnamon mixes instead of the menthol. I use cinnamon in 90% of the flavors that I vape. It's my Menthol if you know what I mean.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
29-09-2014 12:57 AM
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Thanks man, I'll probably keep some of each cinnamon on hand. I'll have to find a good mint too, whether it's menthol or peppermint or what. 
29-09-2014 01:55 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
18sixfifty (09-29-2014)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

I'm just not a fan of ANY mint and I love menthol cigs. Natural Menthol is just a combination of crystalized mint oils. Different companies have a different mix. However, most of what we see is a synthetic menthol. As with any mint you should use just a tiny tiny bit of it when mixing with anything. It doesn't matter what mint it will take over a flavor. I had customers that loved mint, so you might be just like one of them and love it.

Menthol crystals are dirt cheap to buy on e-bay. You can get a lifetime supply for next to nothing, ten bucks maybe. They will melt once they get warm. So you can add them to any mix simply by putting a tiny bit of a crystal in your juice and steeping it in a hot water bath.

Actually you know what? PM me your address and I'll send you some for free. I have boatloads of them. Anyone else that's in the states and needs some let me know.

When I got out of the juice business I had all kinds left but I'm down to only about 50 lifetimes worth. LOL. I actually use them now for spider repellant. My wife is deathly afraid of spiders and this year we had a fantastic harvest of them. So I mixed the crystals in hot water and sprayed them in places I didn't want spiders. Around the bathtub for instance. Spray some on the back and bottom of your couch too. Then you don't have to hear your wife screaming. GET IT OFF ME AHHHHHH!!

29-09-2014 06:03 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
Spasmod (09-29-2014)