Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mech mods vs vv/vw mods for flavour
vapourloungeonline Offline

Likes Given: 5
Mech mods vs vv/vw mods for flavour
Hi guys. 

Now I know this one is going to be one of personal preference. But I would like to share my own experiences and see what other people think. 

Basically mech mods vs vv/vw mods for the best flavour. 

My experience I think a vv/vw gives you that extra control to get that sweet spot of the flavour. I've had many mech mod builds where one day the coil I built works great the next coil I build gives a slightly burnt taste. 

With a mech mod there great for building super low ohm coils n chucking out loads of vapour but let's be honest how often do we all cloud chase unless we're trying to impress friends or are just having a play. 

I think with a vv/vw mod you have that control to get that sweet spot. All my juices are a 70/30 vg/pg base but different flavours need that slight change in power to get there own sweet spot. I find this a lot harder to do with a mech. Your coils have to be bang on right for the juice your using. 

I love my mechs n I love building my own coils but for this post I want to know what you all think is best for getting the best out of your flavour?
22-11-2014 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like vapourloungeonline's post:
Galaxyrider (11-22-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,932
RE: Mech mods vs vv/vw mods for flavour
I'm inclined to agree with you VLO.

Since I got the Sigelei mod I've basically not used anything else. Almost always with a Fogger 5 on it.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
22-11-2014 11:28 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,463
Same here, having that ultimate control with a regulated device will always win out. Their downfall used to be they were never powerful enough for those of us who enjoy that extra volume of vapour but that's all changed now.

Mech mods will always have their niche but they're no longer a necessity IMO
22-11-2014 01:13 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Spasmod's post:
JohnnyMac (11-22-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I think that from a new-ish vaper's perspective, mechanical mods are the pinnacle because you see all these hardcore vapers throwing clouds like it's going out of style, and to new-ish vapers you think of the MVP or the eGo Twist or other lower powered devices. But once you've been vaping for a while and increased your budget a bit, you'll find a lot of good VV/VW devices that are much better, for example a Sigelei-100W. For me, power is a big factor, so my mechs are way better than my old MVP was because it's more vapor and more concentrated. But high powered VW devices will win every time because I can adjust it perfectly. 
22-11-2014 03:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,932
It also depends on your atomiser choice. There is no point in throwing more than 20 watts through an Erlkoenigin as I found out today. It just boils the juice. It is just a tad too low in resistance for my Vamo to fire with it attached but at 15W and with custard it should be just fine. But it'll never be a fog machine.

The other nice thing about high power box mods is that you don't need to coil everything at silly low resistances as it'll still chuck the clouds at a higher resistance - on a mech you are constrained by the 4.2V upper limit on voltage. Replacement coils are mostly being made at well over an ohm now. Whereas they were mostly in the 0.2-0.4 ohm brake before which meant using quite a lot of very heavy wire.

Which did mean the coils lasted forever though. Ten turns of 0.4mm (26g) on my 2.5mm (or so) former gives me around 1.1 ohms which is fine for most purposes and it isn't as floppy as skinny wire.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
22-11-2014 03:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(22-11-2014 11:25 AM)vapourloungeonline Wrote:  Hi guys. 

Now I know this one is going to be one of personal preference. But I would like to share my own experiences and see what other people think. 

Basically mech mods vs vv/vw mods for the best flavour. 

My experience I think a vv/vw gives you that extra control to get that sweet spot of the flavour. I've had many mech mod builds where one day the coil I built works great the next coil I build gives a slightly burnt taste. 

With a mech mod there great for building super low ohm coils n chucking out loads of vapour but let's be honest how often do we all cloud chase unless we're trying to impress friends or are just having a play. 

I think with a vv/vw mod you have that control to get that sweet spot. All my juices are a 70/30 vg/pg base but different flavours need that slight change in power to get there own sweet spot. I find this a lot harder to do with a mech. Your coils have to be bang on right for the juice your using. 

I love my mechs n I love building my own coils but for this post I want to know what you all think is best for getting the best out of your flavour?
How right you are, about the coils having to be spot on. Im still fighting with that and I solicit your input about coils, as that seems to be a weak spot with my poor eyesight. Im getting a magnifier soon to help with that. I like to vape at .3 ohms and above, Im not seriously into cloud chasing, and when I bought my DNA 30 clone, I decided I wasn't going to go past the 30 watt threshold. At present, I have 28 and 30 ga Kanthal, however, Ive seen a box for fishing line that will hold 6 rolls of line (or kanthal) 30 ga, 28 ga, 26ga, 24ga, 22ga, and 20ga? I could be flexible and include some flat wire,but I know so little about that. I watch, and re-watch the videos, but not understanding the flat wires, I still come up guessing. Im more into mech mods now, as I'm starting a collection of mechs, and attys, so I'll need a lot of help in building the appropriate coils for each atty/juice selection. I tend to use duals a lot, Id like to have a few that use quads, I have a 454 (junk) which will be replaced with a better model than Fastech and I'm getting a Tobeco Plume Veil (same status), and I've generally left the single coils for taste testing. Feel free to correct me if you see any faults in my madness. If you have any thoughts on what exactly to look for in an atty, please feel free to comment on that too. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time and interest.
Phoenix

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 04:13 PM by Galaxyrider.)
22-11-2014 04:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
I'm another one in the adjustable camp now I've had a decent box mod to work with. I used to he hardcore mech mods only but now I see it differently. Drippers and tanks have different needs. I find drippers are great with mechs because it's nigh impossible to burn the wick or juice simply because you can make sure the wicks are fully saturated.

Tanks like the Lemo, Squapes, KFLs, etc all have different wicking ability. Add in differences in juice consistency and getting a proper vape with them on a mech isn't easy to do. With my DNA30 I can run the Lemo with chained lung hits and it just avoids tasting burnt at 24W. Pop on the Squape Reloaded and I need to dial it down to 14W to do the same. It's fantastic! No matter what I put on it I just adjust my wattage for the ideal vape with that atty, wicking, and juice setup and I'm good to go. A mech could never deliver that quality a vape.

I still love the mechs with drippers but even the variable mods to that better. Tongue
22-11-2014 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
Don (11-22-2014), Michael (11-22-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Phoenix, I personally suggest dual parallel coils. They're a little harder to make, but once you get the hang of it they're simple. Take two strands of 28ga kanthal, wrap them around a 2.5mm drill bit 8/9 times, making sure that they stay side-by-side and don't overlap at all. You'll want to fire your mod with no cotton so the coils will get hot and then squeeze them together with pliers/tweezers, gently though so they don't get crushed. This type of coils has massive cloud production, and really great flavor since there's a lot of surface area touching the wick and they're low-resistance coils. The way I described above should get you around .4 ohms. 
If you want to go with something that's more simple, you can't beat a simple dual coil build with 24ga kanthal wrapped 8 times around a 1/16" drill but. Easy to make, super simple, and it still has a low resistance with a lot of surface area. 
22-11-2014 05:16 PM
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
vapourloungeonline Offline

Likes Given: 5
So it seems everyone's in agreement. 

I do love a mech and when you get a coil right they give a great vape, but for everyday vaping and switching between juices and tanks it seems like a variable is the way to go. 
22-11-2014 06:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes vapourloungeonline's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Yeah for ease of use and customizable-ness (what's the word for that?) variable mods win hands down. The only thing I use mechs for these days is cloud competitions or when I have too many atties and flavors to keep switching out on my Sigelei. 
22-11-2014 06:56 PM
vapejuiceuk (06-13-2016)