Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mech mod question
IN caver Offline

Likes Given: 4
Mech mod question
I've been looking at some mech mods the last couple days but have a few qiestions. Are there benefits to this type of mod? Also is there anything special one should consider if using one such as battery types or type of clearomizer to use?
01-11-2013 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes IN caver's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: Mech mod question
the benefits really are size, durability and access to sub ohm vaping, size wize, due to their inherent simple design they can physically be smaller since they do not by nature contain any electronics, just a positive post and a negative plunger and a body tube.This simplistic design also makes them more robust.
Hybrids, they are imo an even nicer solution, although initial outlay is higher. I also would suggest that before you get a mech mod you get a nice dripper and a rebuildable tank based atomiser and see how you really take to rebuilding coil and wick assemblies whilst using your svd, they needn't be expensive, even sourced locally, I do know johnnymac and spasmod got some real cheap drippers from fasttech that are clones of hoghly respected drippers.

Personally I have a smok scar (bit of a ball ache to re coil and wick due to its diminutive size, I'll be adding to my tailcap readings thread after this) and a ud igo-w. Both perform well, are inexpensive and are rebuildable, my personal nod would go to the igo-w simply because it is a touch bigger and so easier to squeeze everything in.

I also have a bt804 dream atomiser, this is a bottom coil atomiser that I really like, it needs a couple of very minor tweaks, but once done its simply amazing, I have a thread on it in the atomiser review section. I also order a smok rsst today, it is rated extremely highly and is a "genesis" style atomiser, it is a clone of a highly rated unit, but todds reviews has covered both units and his thought on the rsst is that the only logical reason not to buy one is if you take a hard stand against cloning. it also looks extremely easy to rebuild, I'll find out next week.

The only downside to genesis atomisers that I can see is that they cannot generally be lay down or they will leak, I've only seen one that can be sealed and it was on a 14500 hybrid, and pretty dammed expensive too.

If you are getting into this, you are going to need good cells, imrs are recommended although I'm using Panasonic pd's in 18650 flavour, their more than up to the current demads that I have found so far, but they scare the crap out of sone vapers simply because they dont have an aw sticker on them lol.

For the record I've just tested a dual coil set up at 1.3ohm measured by my fluke (vamo said 1 ohm but I trust my fluke more), it tested at 2.8a at the tail, I've also found my worries about draining unprotected cells have been unfounded, vaping performance drops long before you get to 3 volts, I just carry spare cells and a charger I can plug into the van in my day sack, not had a problem yet although I do carry two mech mods set up with atomisers and a vamo with my dream atomiser on it as back up, I do do a lot of driving though and find its better to just pick up another mod if I have an issue rather than try to fix it on the road, for obvious reasons, once I get a good day set up down pat, I'll drop my carry to one mod with a tank based atomiser on it. drippers are good but a touch inconvenient as they do need regularly topping up, where a 3ml tank will definitely do all day.

Sorry for the ramble but I hope it helps and any other questions please just ask.
01-11-2013 09:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
IN caver Offline

Thanks for the info. Is there a place that clearly explains the differences beteen rebuildable atomizers drippers, bottom coil etc. All these options get confusing. Also is the rebuilding process difficult?
01-11-2013 10:58 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
gords1001 Offline

there's the planet of the vapes wiki, but its not all that complete yet. I found that for me, todds reviews on YouTube has been the best resource. if you go on the desktop site rather than the android app, he has a recommended viewing selection, its very comprehensive. most of his atomiser reviews also include a build, it gives you a good idea of what's involved even if it doesn't convey just how dammed small everything is. lol

wrapping coils is, of itself, merely a matter of practice. where I'm going wrong is not keeping a note pad in the gords cave detailing each build, then I could start to know what wire to use in what situation with so many thicknesses of wicks, its something I am going to start doing because resistance is everything, go too low, you could wreck your battery, go too high and you just wont get any vapour, as I said above, pick up a meter, get used to using it to measure resistance, there are youtube tutorials on that, they popped up, I think geekgirl did one but I didn't click on it so cant vouch for its accuracy.

I'm checking my resistance by holding one lead to the 510 threads and holding the other to the centre post, that way I measure the atomiser resistance ie what the battery essentially sees rather than trying to measure the coil resistance.

my best advice is get a ruler, then watch some youtube rebuilds and look at the sizes on the ruler to give you an idea, I think the scar is 17mm od, the igo-w is 19mm, 22mm atomisers look huge in comparison.

I shouldn't have been lazy.......

rda - Rebuildable dripping atomiser
rba - Rebuildable atomiser (usually a tank system)
dual coils - two coils usually with two seperat wicks bit not always
genesis atomiser - atomiser with the wick and coil above the tank
bottom coil atomiser - atomiser with the coil and wick in a chamber in the tank

dripping atomiser - no tank, just a coil or coils with wicks in a chamber
tank system - basically any atomiser with a reservoir of eliquid.

drippers are good for sampling new liquids - you only drip in a few drops to wet the wicks
tanks are good when you have settled on a flavour and want a hassle free daily vape.

bottom coil tanks seem to give a cooler vape in my experience, as I say I've not tried a genesis yet but will be doing next week drippers if they are good (good doesn't need to mean expensive) give excellent flavour and can give a lot of vapour if you wish to cloud chase.

sub ohm vaping - basically cloud chasing, will probably sacrifice flavour to the alter of vapour, generally you'd use a dripper with coil/coils equalling less than 1 ohm resistance and air holes bigger than 1.5mm on a mech mod with high discharge cells.

when using multiple coils, the resistance is divaded, so in a dual coil set up, if you wanted 1.5 ohm resistance you'd wrap two 3 ohm coils.

micro coils - very tightly wrapped closely spaced coils, I like the one I've done so far, very high resistance but give clouds of vapour and good flavour, the coil is more like the coil on a 3 bar electric heating, I think thats why it works so well, the heat is concentrated.

hope this little glossary helps.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 12:02 AM by gords1001.)
01-11-2013 11:45 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
Whoa lots of excellent advice there from gords Cool my own personal recommendation if you want to take a peek into the world of RDA's would be to start with something easy to build and just works out of the box. I would start out with an Igo-L as it's a single coil unit with plenty of room to work with and will give a cracking good Vape.
02-11-2013 01:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
IN caver Offline

Thanks for all your help guys it's starting to make sense now. I checked out some of Todds videos this morning. Wow lots of info. Although with all these mods and cool products I think my wallet may suffer lol.
02-11-2013 06:30 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
gords1001 Offline

I look at it like this, as long as eliquid,  mod and atomiser expenditure is less than tobacco expenditure would have been I'm ok, I wont need to buy any tanks or mods next month and I'm good for cells, I'll have to buy a little eliquid mid month and I should be otherwise fine.
02-11-2013 06:41 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
IN caver Offline

Exactly, I know that in the last two months I've spent less than half on mods and liquid than I would have on tobacco and as long as I don't go crazy on the mods I will continue to save money. Plus I like it more than smoking.
02-11-2013 06:51 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)
gords1001 Offline

Thats the crutch for me, it is so much more appealing than smoking, I'm even worse with these mech mods, there's just something about them, although that may be that I bought better atomisers and have a better understanding of setting them up now, I've hardly touched my vamo's since I got them although that may be the novelty factor if I'm honest.

I do basically chain vape when driving lol, exchanging mods as the atomisers get hot......
02-11-2013 07:20 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-21-2016)