Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maximizing flavor
FlavorChaser Offline

Likes Given: 0
Maximizing flavor
Maximizing vape flavor (this query was posted by me in large vape forum):

I have a wonderful vape fluid mix that I absolutely adore.  If you have to know it's a mixture of unicorn blood, rasta blood, and methol (12mg, 65PG/35VG) with additional pure sucralose added to really sweeten it up - about a 1/16th teaspoon per bottle.  I'm running with an VaporFi MiniVox RDA using 28-guage kenthal wire to create my own 1/8" coil, which are wicked with organic Japanese cotton.  I've tried six to three turns on the coil, and while it didn't seem to matter all that much, I'm doing 4 turns now (which is about 1 ohm).  I use the pancake method (although I do touch the bell unlike in the YouTube description) to wick, so I don't get dry hits ever.  I power that with 18 to 20 watts to minimize the heat and maxmize the flavor (I don't care much about big clouds, but they do go hand-in-hand somewhat with the flavor)  I don't think there is a problem with the wattage either as I'm hitting that sweet flavor spot the best I can tell.  I don't know if the coil gauge could be an issue or not but I've always used 28.  Okay then what IS the problem?

I get the flavor I want for about 24 hours before the wick gums up and starts to lack flavor (first) and, if I push it well past that, taste faintly burnt.  If I keep going, the burnt flavor gets worse and worse, and pretty soon it just tastes like shit.  When I open the RDA, I don't see any particular hot spot on the coil because I am careful to space the coils just right with ceramic tweezers.  Rather across the entire coil there is gunk and it is black, like it has burnt/gummed up evenly.  That brunt shit, I think, ruins the taste and the wicking efficiency, resulting in the flavor loss and eventually a burnt taste (ruining everything).

Is there a way around this problem?  Specifically is there any atomizer in existence that vaporizes well without gunking up like this or maybe doesn't even use a coil?  Or, alternatively, is there a wick that tastes good that I can wash or burn totally clean so I don't have to rewick as I'm doing now but that doesn't involve silica fibers getting in my lungs?  Or maybe they sell real wick (like a string) for an 1/8" coil rather than me cutting it out of a piece of organic Japanese cotton made for cosmetics, pancaking it, etc?  I want to simplify the process of keeping that great flavor.  I don't come from a smoker's background, but I want the kind of ease that smokers enjoy.  That is when a smoker lights up, he gets the same flavor time and again, not worrying about how many hours its been since he or she rewicked the rig (he or she might die too but that's besides the point).  I want some simple process to keep the flavor coming without me rewicking every single day in a tedious way like I am doing now.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 06:00 PM by FlavorChaser.)
23-12-2015 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,118
RE: Maximizing flavor
Confess, i glazed over while reading and only caught the end bit.. Yeah, you can get string wick. I got mine from here. it's OK,  pain to thread through the coil somtimes but decent flavour.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
23-12-2015 05:37 PM
FlavorChaser Offline

Freakin rig caught fire on me this morning and had one hell of a burn hit.  Ouch!  Anyway I went to the vape shop and they pretty much explained the biggest problem - I was using 28-gauge wire. 26 is the stuff for this. I had received that wire for free with some cotton (as a bonus). Now I know why it was free. When you get above about 10 watts (the baby stuff), you want to go 26-gauge. That can take you upward of 100+ watts if you want that kind of power. I usually vape 20w and am happy at that.   I think I'll still have the problem - but not in like 24 hours.  The higher surface area should help with the localized slow burn.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 11:07 PM by FlavorChaser.)
23-12-2015 10:32 PM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
hi FC you could try changing your juice
I bought some a while ago that I needed to dry burn and rewick my kayfun after every tank
is the juice a really dark colour

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
23-12-2015 11:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BOB's post:
TinWhisker (12-28-2016)
FlavorChaser Offline

(23-12-2015 11:02 PM)BOB Wrote:  hi FC you could try changing your juice
I bought some a while ago that I needed to dry burn and rewick my kayfun after every tank
is the juice a really dark colour

Yeah it's 12mg red Unicorn Blood with yellow Rasta Blood and some clearish menthol.  It's the mix I like.  I guess they make it red like that to make it seem like blood or something.  I'd be happy if I could rewick every third day or so.  I mean I'm only driving 20W on this rig vaping for only 5 hours or so a day.  It's not like I'm punching it super hard or nothing, although I guess I do vape quite a bit.  fucking helped me in the gym by getting my weight way down though.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 11:09 PM by FlavorChaser.)
23-12-2015 11:05 PM
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,027
Quote:with additional pure sucralose added to really sweeten it up - about a 1/16th teaspoon per bottle.

This is what gums up your copils. Certain sugars carbonize a lot and then the coil needs to be dry burned and the wick needs replacing.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
23-12-2015 11:59 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
BOB (12-24-2015), gentlydoingit* (12-24-2015), TinWhisker (12-28-2016)