Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Making your own eJuice?
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Making your own eJuice?
The ever-growing drama in the political realm around ecigs has gotten me thinking about the future of vaping and how various regulations and policies might change how I vape. For now, it seems, the political bullshit hasn't affected me personally, as my local area is still vape-friendly. For now, I have about a dozen vape shops to choose from all within a 15 mile radius of my house. And for now, DIY eJuice ingredients are easily accessible online. But what if that changed?

I guess my question here is what can we do if the worst-case scenario becomes reality, and if eJuice becomes too costly and too heavily regulated for an average Joe like me to get? I know there are ways to make NETs, but I'm not a big fan of tobacco flavors and so my question then is whether there is a way to make your own eJuice flavor concentrates and nicotine concentrates from easily accessible ingredients. For example, if I want a custard eJuice, is there any way to make it without purchasing the flavor concentrate from an online manufacturer? I know it all has to be made somewhere, by someone, but is it something that is plausible for a normal guy just trying to make it a batch at a time at home?

Basically, if worse comes to worst, is there a way for me to still vape? Mods and atties are easy enough to make from just about anything, and really the atties and mods that I have should last just about forever if I take good care of them, so my major concern is ejuice since it always needs replaced and if it becomes too heavily regulated, I don't know how to make it myself.
11-12-2014 07:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
RE: Making your own eJuice?
The only vapable flavorings I know of you can buy at some local stores is your basic Loraine flavors in the cake isles of food stores sometime and at like walmart or michaels craft stores. Example vanilla's
11-12-2014 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
There will be ways to find flavorings, cake supply shops mainly. Also there will be more people working on their own extraction techniques. Flavorings I'm not worried about, it's Nic Juice that is a bigger problem really. Extracting nicotine is more difficult by far than making an extract of just a flavor. But even that is not impossible and I have seen it done. The messed up thing is that I could see people hawking bathtub nicotine on the black market. So if the goal of the government/corporatists is to demonize vaping that would be another way to do it. Bust a few people who made some dangerous mistakes with the extraction of nicotine and splash it all over the news.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
12-12-2014 07:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
Galaxyrider (12-18-2014)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
Flavors are available @:
http://www.wizardlabs.com
http://www.OneStopDIYShop.com
http://www.vapecrafter.com/

Your best assortment of mixing supplies, will be at Vapecrafters (http://www.vapecrafter.com/)
Best prices on PG, VG, and Nicotine are at Wizard Labs (http://www.wizardlabs.com)

AND...... if anyone has a really good Cinnamon bun recipe... lol PLEASE?!?

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 01:58 PM by Galaxyrider.)
17-12-2014 01:52 PM
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(12-12-2014 07:09 PM)18sixfifty Wrote:  There will be ways to find flavorings, cake supply shops mainly. Also there will be more people working on their own extraction techniques. Flavorings I'm not worried about, it's Nic Juice that is a bigger problem really. Extracting nicotine is more difficult by far than making an extract of just a flavor. But even that is not impossible and I have seen it done. The messed up thing is that I could see people hawking bathtub nicotine on the black market. So if the goal of the government/corporatists is to demonize vaping that would be another way to do it. Bust a few people who made some dangerous mistakes with the extraction of nicotine and splash it all over the news.
How like our government.. a brand of stupid seldom seen before..

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
18-12-2014 05:26 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,340
Food flavourings are a huge business - and will continue to be - that's where most of the flavour in commercial baked stuff comes from. They are not going to disappear. You just want to be sure the flavours are diketone free.

VG and PG have far too many industrial and medical uses for them to disappear so the only issue is nicotine. 

It was first synthesised in 1904 - which means it can be done basically in a bathtub. However doing this from scratch would generate an optically inactive mixture of the dextro- and laevo-rotatory forms. Natural nicotine is purely levorotatory and I have no idea of the pharmacological effect of a racemate (A word for a mixture of the stuff that rotates the plane of polarisation of polarised light to the left (laevorotatory) and to the right (dextrorotatory) leading to no optical activity) 

Starting with something like tomatoes, aubergines (eggplant) or tobacco leaves would be easier. Some Russian tobaccos are 4% nicotine by weight - most Western tobacco is under 2%. The open chemical literature will tell you how. But it is a very good idea to know a lot about dealing with poisons with a significant vapour pressure first. It isn't hard but attention to detail is a very, very good idea. I'd make my own before I bought "street" nicotine.

With some careful reduction, you could make nicotine from nicotinic acid - AKA Vitamin B3

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
18-12-2014 10:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (12-18-2014), Michael (03-29-2015)
Topdog Offline

Likes Given: 0
That's interesting Don, making my own nicotine. I will do a bit of research about that. Thanks for sharing mate
23-03-2015 09:18 PM
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
The flavorings used in ejuice are USDA approved food flavorings.  They're used in everything from candy to gourmet foods.  The issue is nicotine, which is extracted from tobacco, so it falls into a grey area.

Synthetic nicotine is not really an option as it costs around $10,000 per gallon to produce, where as natural nicotine is less than a dollar a gallon to produce. 

The government is simply doing what tobacco industry lobbyists are paying them to do. 

They won't end up banning vaping, simply because there's too much science that disproves their claims that it's unhealthy.  So, they'll just tax the hell out of it like they do cigarettes.

The silver lining is that if you get down to 0 nicotine, mixing your own juice will negate any of the insane taxation.
29-03-2015 04:14 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nihilum's post:
Michael (03-29-2015)
wedgtail Offline

Likes Given: 3
In Australia we can not buy juice with nicotine in it so all of our locally produce juice is nic free . we have to import nic from china or The US or New Zealand .
We have some out lets selling concentrated flacours as well this caters to the home DIY juice maker. Most of us just buy ready made Juice from overseas when we first start out .

29-03-2015 10:58 AM