Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Making an RDA cap wider.
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
Making an RDA cap wider.
Hi guys today I come to you with a pretty straightforward question, however I do need to provide a bit of back story. I have a Dark Horse RDA (by A-Mod) and, with my heavy hands, I broke the center terminal rendering the Atty useless. I have another Atty, no clue what it is, that I am extremely fond of except for the fact that it only has one air hole. I would like to put the Dark Horse cap on the other Atty but a lip on the inside of the cap is preventing it from fitting onto the other Atty. Can anyone give me an idea as to what I can use to file/grind down the lip inside the cap so that it may fit? Thanks in advance for any responses.
20-04-2015 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Making an RDA cap wider.
I'd be wary of filing down the inside of the Dark Horse cap, because it's thinner at that spot than you might think. That lip inside is there because the atty goes in the accommodate the airflow adjustment ring, so if you file it too deep you could cut all the way through it. Of course, depending on how much room you need, it might be impossible to file that part down enough to fit anyway. 
Then again, since you broke your Dark Horse, what have you got to lose? Worst case scenario, you totally screw up the top cap and it just goes in the trash with its base. 
To file it down, I'd say your best bet would be to get a cone shaped grinding stone for a drill, or better yet for a dremel if you have one. You COULD try to file it by hand with a half-round file, but that would take ages. A grinding stone would file it down more quickly, so all the more need to be careful with it. Just go around it a couple times, check to see if it fits, and repeat as needed. Your goal is to grind away as little as possible so it will fit snug. 
20-04-2015 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-20-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Thanks for the reply. I had given some thought to trying to do it by hand but... I don't have that brand of patience. I, however, did not think to use a conicle grinding bit. I do believe that this is what I will try. Thanks and wish me luck Smile
20-04-2015 06:42 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Good luck mate! Let us know how it goes. 
20-04-2015 10:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-20-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

After about an hour of grinding and smoothing, my venture was a complete success. I was initially worried about grinding the cap apart because of the lip being in place for the adjustment ring but as it turns out the area toward the bottom of the cap is thicker and was easily ground down. Thanks for the input Michael, it definitely saved me from grinding too high inside the cap and ruining the project. 
20-04-2015 10:45 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
BOB (04-21-2015), Michael (04-21-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Glad to hear it worked out for you! 
21-04-2015 01:18 AM