Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking to start dripping and don’t wanna die!
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
RE: Looking to start dripping and don’t wanna die!
Oh ok. You mentioned that you saw one for $6. Thought it was that one. The one you found is the one i have.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 03:20 AM by jerryz.)
10-06-2015 03:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Not to harp on the same thing everyone else is saying, but really, building coils is a piece of cake. It's intimidating the first couple of times, but once you've done it a few times you'll quickly get to where you can do them in your sleep. They don't have to be perfect, though of course it's always better to have tight coils that are evenly spaced, but nothing is going to blow up from a coil being a little off. Really the only dangerous thing about making your own coils is getting too low resistance with a battery that can't handle it. If you're using good cells (Sony VTC4, Samsung 25R, LG HE2) then you can go down to about .2 ohms, other cells you'll need to do a little math to figure out the safe limit. Or of course you can just tell us what kind of cells you're using and we can figure it out Tongue 
If you decide to order from FastTech, be aware that it's shipping from China so it'll take quite a while to get to you. My last order from FastTech took almost a month to get to me, though I think they're usually a little faster than that, but you can expect at least a couple of weeks. Most RDAs come with a coil or two in their packaging, so you can use those at first.
When I first started making my own coils, I just bought some kanthal and an RDA at a local vape shop and asked them to show me how to build it. Most shops will build it for you for free if you buy your stuff there, so you can watch them build it and get a general idea of how it works. It really is as simple as wrapping some wire around something round (like a drill bit) then stuffing the wires into the RDA, clip the ends, stuff some wick in, and you're good to go. There are some nuances that can make a coil better, but that's the basics that will work just fine. 
10-06-2015 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (06-10-2015), Finster (06-10-2015), Xprimentyl (06-11-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(10-06-2015 07:07 AM)Michael Wrote:  Not to harp on the same thing everyone else is saying, but really, building coils is a piece of cake. It's intimidating the first couple of times, but once you've done it a few times you'll quickly get to where you can do them in your sleep. They don't have to be perfect, though of course it's always better to have tight coils that are evenly spaced, but nothing is going to blow up from a coil being a little off. Really the only dangerous thing about making your own coils is getting too low resistance with a battery that can't handle it. If you're using good cells (Sony VTC4, Samsung 25R, LG HE2) then you can go down to about .2 ohms, other cells you'll need to do a little math to figure out the safe limit. Or of course you can just tell us what kind of cells you're using and we can figure it out Tongue 
If you decide to order from FastTech, be aware that it's shipping from China so it'll take quite a while to get to you. My last order from FastTech took almost a month to get to me, though I think they're usually a little faster than that, but you can expect at least a couple of weeks. Most RDAs come with a coil or two in their packaging, so you can use those at first.
When I first started making my own coils, I just bought some kanthal and an RDA at a local vape shop and asked them to show me how to build it. Most shops will build it for you for free if you buy your stuff there, so you can watch them build it and get a general idea of how it works. It really is as simple as wrapping some wire around something round (like a drill bit) then stuffing the wires into the RDA, clip the ends, stuff some wick in, and you're good to go. There are some nuances that can make a coil better, but that's the basics that will work just fine. 
Michael..Tell me if I'm wrong. There is always a safety issue when dealing with batteries. The batteries I use in my planes can literally burn my house down, so I charge them in a protective case. That being said, I think this idea of a battery blowing up is rare to the extreme. Yes Don had one vent, but it was not anything he did or an improperly wrapped coil. I believe he said it was a defective battery. I watched my friend's $1000.00 RC Helicopter burn in mid air when the battery vented. My point is that we act safely and wisely, b sure to have decent high amp high drain batteries, make some coils and have fun.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
10-06-2015 12:20 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jerryz's post:
Michael (06-10-2015)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,344
Yes - that's it. That is the first non intentional battery incident I've had. 

IMR cells tend to fail less violently than LiPo packs or LiCo cells but they can still kaboom.

Usually it takes severe provocation to make them do so though.

Vapers aren't nearly as tough on their power sources as RC modellers who reckon that a pack should be able to run at crazy amps for the few minutes the charge will last.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
10-06-2015 12:44 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Michael (06-10-2015), Xprimentyl (06-11-2015)
Cman Offline

Likes Given: 166
About coiling tools , if you can get one super cheap why not but i wouldntT spend anymore than a few bucks on one. I went to "Lowes" home improvement and bought a small package of 5 rods of music wire , like a dollar something , they work great .

The diameter of the coil doesn't have anything to do with ohm's as far as i know , so you don't have to worry about having a perfect size diameter rod to wrap on  ,  it's how many wraps you make on that rod that determines ohm's.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 10:03 PM by Cman.)
10-06-2015 10:02 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,344
Depends on the wire and the length of it you use. If you use 10g wire, there will be approximately a million turns - if you use 30gawire about  turns swill work

e wi

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
10-06-2015 10:21 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(10-06-2015 10:02 PM)Cman Wrote:  About coiling tools , if you can get one super cheap why not but i wouldntT spend anymore than a few bucks on one. I went to "Lowes" home improvement and bought a small package of 5 rods of music wire , like a dollar something , they work great .

The diameter of the coil doesn't have anything to do with ohm's as far as i know , so you don't have to worry about having a perfect size diameter rod to wrap on  ,  it's how many wraps you make on that rod that determines ohm's.
Cman..I think I agree, then why are so many of the Youtube people making "macro" "Micro" "nano" and "Super nano. I use strictly macro coils. I can get my Japanese cotton through there a lot easier. You may be right. I'm still learning so you won't get a dispute from me brother.

I thought you might be interested in the size of the battery I use on my large plane. This SOB will burn your house down.

[img]http://[Image: 20150610_182658_zpsfmfwfxzz.jpg][/img]

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 10:30 PM by jerryz.)
10-06-2015 10:23 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I agree, batteries always carry a bit of risk no matter what you do, but the risk is minimal of you use them properly. A lot of vapers stress their batteries too much with super sub ohm builds, that's really what causes battery failures for the most part, and so I was just suggesting proper safe usage. Of course there can always be failures or defective products, but by and large the worst culprit for battery failures in vaping is just user stupidity. 
10-06-2015 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
jerryz (06-10-2015), Xprimentyl (06-11-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(10-06-2015 10:38 PM)Michael Wrote:  I agree, batteries always carry a bit of risk no matter what you do, but the risk is minimal of you use them properly. A lot of vapers stress their batteries too much with super sub ohm builds, that's really what causes battery failures for the most part, and so I was just suggesting proper safe usage. Of course there can always be failures or defective products, but by and large the worst culprit for battery failures in vaping is just user stupidity. 
Well said Micheal. I have been wrapping coils that come out to about .35 ohms. I think that's a safe number, and you get nice clouds and flavor. Most of your sub tanks are .50.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
10-06-2015 10:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jerryz's post:
Michael (06-11-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
@Cman - neither the diameter nor the number of wraps have anything to do with it, really - it's the length of the wire.  Every conductor has a given amount of resistance per unit of length (ohms per meter or foot or inch or centimeter, etc).  Thinner wire generally have higher resistance, thicker has lower; the material used will also matter, aluminum is higher resistance per unit of length than copper which is higher than silver, etc.

So neither diameter NOR wraps matters - but at the same time, they BOTH matter.  more wraps at a smaller diameter vs fewer wraps at a larger diameter will yeaild about the same resistance, because in the end they're about the same length.

There are other variables, but not that make enough of a difference to get into.  Fractions of a fraction of an ohm.

So why is one better than the other?  Well - the above gets into the actual physical resistance, which determines the power we're gonna be running.  But let's look at what we want to DO with that power.  Heat the coil to heat the juice in the wick to make vapor.  Here's where diameter and number of wraps matter.

If you have a wide diameter coil at a high resistance (low power), you're spreading what little heat you're making over a lot of surface area.  It's not going to hit well, the wick will tend to stay over saturated, and you'll have gurgling or even flooding issues eventually.

If you have a small diameter with a lot of power, you're going to vaporize what little juice the wick can deliver faster than the wick can deliver it - dry hit and burnt wick hell will soon follow.

So there's a balancing act, where larger diameter tends to be better for higher power, smaller for lower power, in order to keep the juice delivery on spec.  Make sense?

Number of wraps matters less than diameter, but it still matters - because you're still adding surface area.  Once you go over 9-12 wraps, you've got so much wick inside the coil area that even at a wider diameter, you're vaporizing it too fast, and fresh juice won't make it to the center of the wick fast enough - and what part of the coil gets hot first..?  Well, if you made your coil correctly, it heats from the middle outward.

From there, we can get into voltage vs wattage and whatnot, but that's the basics.  Try to keep your coils between 3.6-4.0 volts and you shouldn't ever have to be too concerned.  If you want more power at 3.8 volts - go to a lower gauge (thicker) wire at a slightly larger diameter and fewer wraps, more watts per volt.  That's the whole game, right there.

Hope this helps.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
10-06-2015 11:09 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
Finster (06-10-2015), JohnnyMac (06-16-2015), Michael (06-11-2015), Xprimentyl (06-11-2015)