Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking for a new mod
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Looking for a new mod
I'm looking for a new mod, and I'm trying to figure out which ones are best for the price. I don't really understand what makes a mod good or bad, besides volt drop and the feel of the button. Honestly all my buys so far have been mostly based on recommendations from the guys at my local vape shop. So I figured I'd get your input! 

I've already got a Panzer and a Vanilla, and both are great. I'm kind of collecting them at this point, since I want a new mod to go with each atty.

I'm looking at several options. Nemesis, SMKTECH FURY-S, and the EHpro Valkyrie Clone over at fluidvapes.com look good. My local shop carries the Nemesis, Caravela, Origin, Stingray and Chi-You, plus a few others that aren't as pretty Wink Do any of you guys have experience with those mods? I prefer to buy it from a shop so I don't have to wait for the mail, but I'm willing to buy online if you know of a great mod at a good price that I haven't thought of. 
22-09-2014 07:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
RE: Looking for a new mod
For the most part, most of the mods are decent. Like you said, it all comes down to the feel of the switch and the quality of the threads where it concerns technical aspects. The other considerations are the materials and what style you like. I have most of the mods you've mentioned.

-The Caravela is great but the lock ring is too small and smooth for my taste. IMO it's difficult to lock/unlock.
-The Nemesis is a classic with a fair switch. It's very adjustable body fits all cell lengths and replacing the switch spring with magnets makes it much better.
- The Stingray is fantastic. Mine is a brass version and it's the bomb. I have a review of it in the Mod Review section.
- The ChiYou is an oldie but goodie. One of the very best switches and hits like a train. Very heavy build if you like that stuff (I do)

A place I just found to get great prices here in the States and fast shipping is AngelCigs. Lots of good stuff there.
22-09-2014 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,192
Things I look for in a mod.

A switch that doesn't disassemble itself at the worst moments. It is no fun playing hunt the spring in a busy mall.
A finish that doesn't need constant maintenance - brass and copper mods I'm looking at you. The Vanilla is an exception as it has some clear coat on it.
A reliable switch, some are better than others. But when I hit the switch, I want it to fire. I think the best switch and locking mechanism on anything I have is on the cheapest mod I have, a K101.
The possibility of airflow into the 510. My V1 Squape clone is only really usable on the Nemesis clone i have knocking around.
A 23mm Caravela is handy to have around for 23mm atomisers. The Vanilla which is 22mm l;oohs better than most with a 23mm atomiser on it.

The Stingray is good but there is a potentially dangerous flaw in the design. The battery contact on the switch is dished so it only contacts the edges of the cell. Where most cells have shrink wrap. So you stick in a magnet so the thing will fire. Well - in my pocket the magnet moved and it auto fired. It smell like someone had been smoking in my office till I realised my coat pocket was very hot. I got deep burns on two fingers pulling that one out and getting the cell out of it. The simplest fix would be to reduce the diameter of the negative contact so it contacts inside the shrink wrap.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
22-09-2014 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I've not had an issue with my stingray, and I now run my cells with the positive oriented to the mods vents (I intend to do a post on my thinking here, please leave it till I do).

I will point out that my stingray records one of the lowest volt drops of my mods. Its comparable to my genuine kultura and in daily use for that reason (low volt drop isn't only important for clouds, it equates to good run time too. Imo that is more important).

For something completely different, check out the slug clone. That is available stateside for $45 on line and there's a review on vapingwithtwisted420's youtube.
22-09-2014 09:34 PM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

How does one go about measuring volt drop? I know it's a thing, but idk anything about it. 
23-09-2014 04:40 AM
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
Get a multimeter. Get an assistant if your not comfortable. Hold meter terminals on centre and outer posts. Fire mod. The multimeter should be set to dc volts on the first range that allows 4.2v (or whatever you fire at 6, 8.4 etc). You should have measured your cells voltage prior to loading into the mod.
Subtract your firing voltage from your resting voltage, that is your volt drop.

I'm about to start a post on this so I will try to include photo's.
23-09-2014 07:35 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
BOB (09-23-2014)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

ok thanks mate. Is that what those "tankometers" do? My local vape shop has a tankometer for twenty bucks and I've been thinking about getting it, but as I said before, I have no idea what any of these things mean.
23-09-2014 08:14 AM
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,192
That is what a tankometer does but the thin wires inside them are going to severely limit current and therefore show a lower volt drop than is actually the case or burn out when you fire the atty.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
23-09-2014 08:23 AM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Ah. So they're inaccurate and will fry when I use them... Guess I won't waste that twenty bucks then. 
23-09-2014 09:11 AM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Alrighty so I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm thinking about getting a 3D RDA, which would look awesome on my Panzer, so I'll have a Kayfun and a stainless Patriot that need a home. I care about the look of a mod almost as much as the volt drop and stuff, because honestly what's the point of vaping if I don't like the way my mod looks? So I'm thinking about maybe a Caravela for the Patriot, and maybe the stainless Vanilla for the Kayfun. Or possibly the Origin. All of those are available at my local shop, and they're some of the cheaper mods they carry. Actually the Caravela is on sale atm, so I might get it first. 
23-09-2014 09:25 PM