Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Live and learn/Brass and Copper mods
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
Live and learn/Brass and Copper mods
Im sure some of the older heads have this all figured out, some of the newer folks, maybe not so much. I recently bought a used Copper mod. When I got it, of course it had quite a heavy patina on it.
I took an old carto, and fit that in my drill, got a rag, and some Brasso, and went to work. Minutes later, it was bright and shiny, I was so proud. I even took a needle and shot a bit if grease into the locking ring, Wow, this was now a bright, shiny piece that anyone would have been proud of.
Then, I was reading about magnetic switches, and had to take it apart to see what size magnets would fit in it. When I pulled the switch apart, it was NASTY inside. the patina on the inside was darker then what was outside. So I took apart everything that could be taken apart, both the switch and the top cap. I used the Brasso to clean everything as well as I could, then took an old tooth brush and Brasso'd the threads inside the tube too, till they shown with the same luster that the outside did. WHAT a difference! Now, this thing hits so much harder then it ever has before! Not only that, but the threads are SO smooth now. Is it a clone? Yes, but it sure doesn't feel like one when you take it apart. It doesn't perform like it either when you vape with it!

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2014 08:52 PM by Galaxyrider.)
23-11-2014 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,194
RE: Live and learn/Brass and Copper mods
That's the problem with copper. It is actually much more chemically reactive than most people think. So it gets horrible quickly. 

It is good practice to clean the threads and contact points regularly. But a pain to do...

Most "hot button" issues can be solved by making the contact resistance as low as possible. Or in other words keeping the threads and contacts clean.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
23-11-2014 08:52 PM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I've had hot buttons and seams on my Nemesis mod, cleared it right up by cleaning it out and putting a touch of conductive grease on the seams. It's good practice to clean all your mods at least semi-regularly, even the stainless ones since they can get juice or dirt in them. 
23-11-2014 09:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,194
I'll be doing some testing once I get a satisfactory dummy cell to play with. My first effort was made from copper wire, toilet paper and duct tapeSmile

Basically an 18650 sized chunk of (preferably) copper wrapped in shrinkwrap and a 26650 adapter of some sort. I have a fancy milliohm meter so can read mod resistances directly. I'll be interested to see the results. Which will make me want to do the testing to find out.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
23-11-2014 10:17 PM