Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kayfun Lite
cheqer Offline

Likes Given: 1
Kayfun Lite
Hi!
I just bought a Kayfun Lite and I have no idea what I'm doing when building a coil. I watched some videos, made a coil, but I'm sure it ain't right. I have 50' of 2.5 silica and 100' of .32g Kanthal, so that's what I need help with, the correct, mmm, proportions?, for those ingredients. 
Should I use the figure 8 method with the silica? How many wraps? What size drill bit? No drill bit? Just wrap around the figure 8? What volts should the battery be on when I'm done and go to use it? I think I'm understanding that wraps and wire size and silica size and volts must all jive, right? Would deeply appreciate any educated answers! Sooo sick of buying $2 coils!
20-09-2014 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes cheqer's post:
Galaxyrider (09-21-2014)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,292
RE: Kayfun Lite
Hi cheqer welcome to TVF!

32 Gauge is pretty thin stuff so you won't get away with many wraps before the ohms climb right up there. Ideally you could do with some 28G Kanthal for the Kayfun.

With Silica I always wrap around either a double or triple piece as it can be a nightmare trying to pull the silica through a premade coil (unless you're using heavier gauge wire)

Which mod are you using it on ? and do you have any way of measuring ohms ? you really need to be able to measure the ohms of your coil especially when starting out otherwise you really won't have any idea without experience what to expect.

My advice would be to source some 28G Kanthal and do 5 or 6 wraps around 3 pieces of your 2.5 silica (not too tight) you should see somewhere between 1.2 - 1.6 ohms but you need to be running it ideally on a variable voltage or variable wattage device.

If you're using a mechanical mod (with the correct cells) you'll probably going to have to bring it down to 1 ohm to get the best out of it.

Let us know what you're using it on and we can go from there Good
20-09-2014 10:04 PM
cheqer Offline

I have an E-LVT "box mod"? And while that one's charging I go back to the SMOK twist batteries. Variable voltage? Long, skinny battery.
My husband just told me he has an ohm meter downstairs. Yay!
So, I shouldn't even be trying this with the .32g wire, at all?
20-09-2014 10:10 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Ahh okay, a friend of mine has an E-LVT, nice little solid mod there.

Try 5 wraps around 2x pieces of Silica, I'm guessing you'll see 1.8 - 2.0 ohms which should be okay around 12 watts

After wrapping and fitting (before applying ejuice), do a few pulses and using some tweezers fiddle around with the coils to space them evenly so they glow from the inside towards the edges (lower the watts for your pulsing to around 8 watts then slowly up the watts to find your comfortable vape.

Let us know how you get on Smile

PS.. if you hold dwon the Up button (I think... not the flashlight one) it will read the ohms of your coil for you. Good
20-09-2014 10:23 PM
cheqer Offline

Oh thank you! I will start over with that info. My battery will tell me the ohms of the coil I've built? That's how I read that...

Ok, gonna go build another just like you instructed.

On those twist, variable voltage batteries, would I ever "blow" one up using this rebuildable Kayfun? Wattage? It only says volts. I'm thinking I should find a voltage/wattage table. Or is there such a thing?

I dooo appreciate this help!

I have a reading of 2.5A when I hold down the non-flashlight button on the mod and a reading of 3.7 on the ohm meter.
Wrong, huh. ?
But will it work? Should I try vaping that? (Ha, funny how vaping is treated as a misspelled word by the computer! LOL!)
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 10:51 PM by cheqer.)
20-09-2014 10:35 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

What looks like an A is actually an R so the unit is reading 2.5 ohms. That's a little high so I think you'll have to take one wrap off to bring it to 2.0 ohms or just under.

Having said that, you should still be getting a vape from 2.5 ohms ?
21-09-2014 10:27 AM
cheqer Offline

I have the mod set on 8 watts. It does work like it is but next coil is already wrapped with one less, just haven't put it in yet.
 I'm impressed by the flavor and vapor, but, it was gurgling and leaking out the air hole terribly bad. So after research, I changed out the top o ring, which seemed kinda deformed. It has stopped leaking but still gurgles pretty bad.
 I can tell that I'm gonna love this Kayfun as soon as I work out all the kinks, just not there yet. I've tried turning it upside down and blowing into the tip while burning it, ?, doesn't seem to change the gurgling. Any other ideas for that? 
I'm gonna find some .28g wire today...
21-09-2014 12:48 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

ah okay good to know it's working. The gurgling sounds like you may still have a vacuum leak somewhere. One way to check is to block the airholes and try to draw air through the driptip, if it still has airflow with the holes blocked then you probably still have a seal issue somewhere.

Alternatively you might need to run a bit more silica further down the channels. Sorry I'm not going to be much use on that side of things as I'm not personally familiar with the Kayfun.

Those are worthwhile things to check though. I'm sorry you're having so many problems but stick at it, it's well worth it in the end Smile
21-09-2014 01:45 PM
cheqer Offline

Eureka! My wick wasn't long enough! No gurgling now.
 I put the bottom part of the chimney on, clipped the wick ends off at the top of the chimney, juiced the wick a bit, then pushed the ends down to the deck on both sides.
Thank you for all your help! I'm a happy girl now! Lol Will perfect the coil building as I go...
No more BDC coils for me! Yay!
21-09-2014 02:19 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

That's awesome, I'm glad you managed to get it sorted Good2 let us know how you get along with the 28 Gauge wire too (you'll be able to get 3 pieces of wick with that so it should be a more flavoursome, warmer vape when you up the power a little)

Great stuff though, good luck and happy vaping Drinks
21-09-2014 02:31 PM