Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kanger Ni200 coils getting gunked up fast
Jim Jam Banana Slam Offline

Likes Given: 26
Kanger Ni200 coils getting gunked up fast
Hey, I'm new to the forums. I switched from smoking to vaping about 2 months ago, and it's been going great! I bought a Kangertech Subvod Mega TC 2300 starter kit from my local store, and I like it. I went through the two coils that came with it, a 0.15 ohm nickel SSOCC and a .5 ohm SSOCC, they both lasted over a week and then brown gunk started leaking in to the tank (Nobody told me you could clean coils) so I went to get more coils, and they were out of both of those, so I got some .2 OCC's. They work fine, except they overheat. So, I went back to the store a couple weeks later and got some of the .15 nickel coils, and a 100 ml bottle of a juice I really like, Twelve Monkeys Kanzi. It's 80 VG I think and a fruit flavour, so I imagine it's a little hard on coils. The first coil lasted about a week before I started to see the brown tendrils in my tank, so I washed out the tank and ran the coil under the tap for a few minutes and it was almost good as new, I put a new coil in and left the old one to dry. This new coil was gunked up after only maybe 2 ml of juice! So, I washed it out (looked brand new) and put the old one back in, and used that one for another few days, then I threw it out and put the other one back in, and sure enough, gunk started coming out after a couple ml of juice. I don't understand what the problem is, they're the same type of coil that came pre-installed, I'm using the TC mode like you're supposed to with nickel coils, and I've been using the same juice the whole time, did I get a faulty coil or something? Is the coil not getting hot enough?

Sorry if that's a bit long, I'm new to this and wanted to make sure I properly explained my problem Blush
04-10-2016 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,374
RE: Kanger Ni200 coils getting gunked up fast
Hi and welcome JJBS!

If you use it heavily, a short coil life is to be expected.

If you wash them out occasionally with the cheapest vodka you can find, then let them dry out before you use them again, they may last a bit longer. Do not use methylated spirit or any other denatured alcohol unless you are very confident you have managed to evaporate all of it before you use the coil again.

As long as there is no bad taste or other nasty effects, I'd keep on using them and not worry to much about the juice discolouration.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
04-10-2016 08:46 PM

(04-10-2016 08:46 PM)Don Wrote:  Hi and welcome JJBS!

If you use it heavily, a short coil life is to be expected.

If you wash them out occasionally with the cheapest vodka you can find, then let them dry out before you use them again, they may last a bit longer. Do not use methylated spirit or any other denatured alcohol unless you are very confident you have managed to evaporate all of it before you use the coil again.

As long as there is no bad taste or other nasty effects, I'd keep on using them and not worry to much about the juice discolouration.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome! The thing is, I didn't use the coil very much before it started getting like that, and the previous coils all took way longer before they started doing it. So far it's just the one coil though, so I won't worry about it. So, should I just clean them when they get really bad then? I heard you can only clean them so many times before the cotton is wrecked, but on the other hand, they might not get as clean if I leave it too long. Thanks for the help!
04-10-2016 10:14 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,633
Welcome to TVF Jim.
04-10-2016 10:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
Jim Jam Banana Slam (10-04-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,340
Hey jjbs

I'm very familiar with kanzi, it's my fave of all the twelve monkeys. It's incredibly sweet, really nice but the sweeter will gunk up your coil really fast. I get less than 12 hours before I need to re-wick while using it. 
Discolouring the juice is normal, it's where 'vaporised' juice has condensed a few times and collects around the air holes, inside the driptip and around the coil. The coil is shot when it tastes burned or starts leaking, without either of those I just keep vaping Smile

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
04-10-2016 10:39 PM

(04-10-2016 10:39 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Hey jjbs

I'm very familiar with kanzi, it's my fave of all the twelve monkeys. It's incredibly sweet, really nice but the sweeter will gunk up your coil really fast. I get less than 12 hours before I need to re-wick while using it. 
Discolouring the juice is normal, it's where 'vaporised' juice has condensed a few times and collects around the air holes, inside the driptip and around the coil. The coil is shot when it tastes burned or starts leaking, without either of those I just keep vaping Smile
Oh, really? I figured this juice was hard on coils. It is good stuff though Smile I won't worry about the discolouration then, but it's a shame because Kanzi is such a nice colour lol. I didn't know coils could start leaking when they're shot, why is that?
04-10-2016 11:15 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,374
Basically if the cotton or whatever they use for wicking compacts with age, more juice will flow than the device is designed for.

Also sealing rings on a disposable device may not be all that good quality, they are only expected to last for a few weeks.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
05-10-2016 04:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (10-07-2016)

(05-10-2016 04:19 PM)Don Wrote:  Basically if the cotton or whatever they use for wicking compacts with age, more juice will flow than the device is designed for.

Also sealing rings on a disposable device may not be all that good quality, they are only expected to last for a few weeks.
Oh, okay, good to know for sure. I kept using the coil with a different juice and it stopped doing it, then switched back to the Kanzi and it started again, so I guess the juice really is the culprit. Thanks for the help, guys!
13-10-2016 11:26 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Jim Jam Banana Slam's post:
Fatboy (10-14-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-13-2016)