Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jumped In With Both Feet.
Ellcapitan Offline

Likes Given: 0
Jumped In With Both Feet.
Hello all! I'm just getting into vaping. First, let me declare one thing: I am NOT a cigarette smoker (though I DO like cigars...so I'm no stranger to nicotine). I initially got into this for my girlfriend, who is a smoker, to get her to quit. It worked! And, now I'm into it too. Its a great (though slightly finicky and pricey) little hobby. Like many ppl I suppose, I started out with cheap disposables. Realizing the error in my ways, I quickly moved on to the good stuff. I now have an Egrip, and an Itaste VV with a small Aspire tank. As far as where I'll be going next, I looked at the Eleaf Istick, but I think next I'll be going with an eGo One XL. My juice of choice at the moment is 5 Pawns Gambit (though it is a little harsh in the Egrip). But, I will be trying a lot of others, based on advice I've gathered here.

As for newbie questions, I have a few of them of course. The seemingly newbie-est of them being, is there any "secret" way of cleaning spent coils? Maybe like, soaking/agitating them in alcohol, and letting them thoroughly dry? Just seems very wasteful to keep throwing them out every week or two. Another thing I don't yet understand is the difference between variable wattage and variable voltage, and why and when you'd choose one over the other. Another thing I'd like to know is, if I can get a juice with CAFFEINE in it along with (or even instead of) nicotine. Otherwise, I guess I just have to catch up on some of the basic terminology... I'll get there. Thanks for reading. Sorry for long-winded first post. Subsequent posts won't be like this.
31-03-2015 02:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Jumped In With Both Feet.
Welcome to the forum! If you think that was long winded, just read a few of my posts on my blog... or really any of my posts on any part of this forum Tongue I like to talk a lot and explain things very thoroughly the first time, since I don't really like to have to repeat myself if someone doesn't understand my answer at first. 

The best way that I have found to make coils last longer is to rinse them with warm water, until the wick looks clean. Then let it air dry overnight. That should make them last a few more days, but really there's no "secret" way to get them to last very much longer. The best way to stop wasting money on coils is to just get an RDA. Then you just buy a 100 ft roll of kanthal wire and a big bag of organic cotton (or in my case, a 1500 ft roll of rayon) that will last you forever, and each time you rebuild you'll realize you're only using pennies' worth of wire and wick. 

Variable voltage and variable wattage devices do basically the same thing, just in a slightly different way. They both adjust the power flowing through your atomizer. As you probably know already, more power means more vapor, but it also can wear out your coils faster and give you dry hits, whereas lower power makes your coils last longer and lowers the risk of dry hits while sacrificing vapor production. "Volt" is the term used to describe the force of the electricity running through the circuit, whereas "watt" is the term used to describe how much work is being done by the electricity. In reality, this works out to basically just two names for the same thing, since when you raise watts you're also raising volts, and vice versa. It's really just a technical difference of semantics that doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on your vaping experience. There's no benefit to using a VV or VW mod, and many mods have different modes to adjust both the voltage and wattage (which is called a VV/VW mod). 

I definitely highly recommend the Eleaf iStick. It's a great device which performs well and I've heard many, MANY good reviews, as well as owning my own. Actually, I've only heard one negative review in all the time it's been available. I haven't heard much about the eGo One, but after looking up the specs, it just doesn't seem like as good of a device as the iStick, and they're basically the same price. The iStick comes in three different models, 20W, 30W and 50W, so it's up to you to decide how much power you'll need if you decide to get one. Also, the 30W and 50W models have higher capacity than the eGo One XL, which means they'll last longer between charges, and the 20W iStick has the same capacity. 

I've heard of caffeine e-liquid, but I haven't done enough research on the topic to say anything with certainty. It doesn't seem like there should be a problem, since nicotine and caffeine are in the same chemical family and react similarly to heat. There's a former science teacher who is a member here on the forum, I'm sure he could come along and give you a more reliable answer than me. 

And after talking about being long-winded, my reply ended up being super long. Go figure. Anyway, welcome to the forum! I hope I've answered your questions, and if you've got any other questions just ask! Smile
31-03-2015 03:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ellcapitan Offline

Thank you!
31-03-2015 05:22 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
Welcome to our community Ellcapitan!

It's super awesome that your girlfriend no longer smokes too Good2
31-03-2015 08:28 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Michael (03-31-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,235
Hi Ellcapitan Welcome to TVF. I'm Not going to offer any advice because there are people on here more qualified in all aspects of vaping. I will say though any question you ask you're sure to get a good reply be it about Juice, Cells or Atties. Good

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
31-03-2015 12:53 PM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
Hi ellcapitan welcome to TVFGood

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
31-03-2015 06:21 PM
Ellcapitan Offline

Thanks. Here's another... Is there any reason or advantage to vaping juice that has 50% or more PG, when more VG (like, 70/30) seems to vape so much smoother?
31-03-2015 09:10 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
PG carries flavor better than VG, so more PG means more flavor. It also produces a stronger throat hit, if you like that kind of thing. But really, 99.9% of vapers prefer more VG. PG doesn't create very much vapor on its own, so the VG helps with that, and it makes the vapor much smoother. 
31-03-2015 10:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Welcome to the TVF family, Ellcapitan! Great to have you with us. Smile

When it comes to PG/VG ratios, like Michael said, PG carries the flavors better but with the added throat hit. VG is smoother and makes the clouds. So if you like smooth go with higher VG ratios.

The other factor to consider in the PG/VG ratio is the wicking ability. PG has a thinner viscosity than VG so if you are using traditional BCC clearos that have limited wicking ability you will want a higher PG ratio so the wicking can keep up with the coil. If you are dripping go with the highest VG ratio you can as the thickness doesn't matter because you are dripping it directly onto the coils.

You and I have a lot in common when it comes to vaping. I'm not a cigarette smoker and only smoke cigars and pipe. I still do in fact and absolutely love my cigars but I don't inhale them. I started vaping as a substitute for cigars in the cold months when it was uncomfortable to sit outside for an hour to finish a cigar. I can vape in the house and that's a HUGE plus for me! Not only did it help me stay warm but I really enjoyed the flavors available almost as much as I enjoyed the hardware (I'm a huge gear nut with a bad case of shinyitis). Spas is the one who got me into vaping so I blame him for my latest wallet emptying hobby! Tongue
01-04-2015 12:38 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
Michael (04-01-2015)
Ellcapitan Offline

LOL. I'm exactly the same way with the cigars... Thanks for the excellent clarification.
01-04-2015 01:04 AM