Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Juice problem.
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Juice problem.
This is included in my Cylops Vapor review, but it's gonna get a lot more attention here and I'd like some thoughts on the subject.  [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Something has come up that I can't explain, and it's weird and I don't like it.[/font]

This juice gunks up my coils like nothing else.  But the wicks are shiny and new.  I don't get it.  Let me go into more detail about why this is a problem.

My everyday eJuice is dark in color.  We all know that dark juices gunk up coils; they tend to have stuff in them that leaves residue.  So after a couple of tanks, my coils have crud on them and my OC wicks have crud in them and after maybe 2 days of this, I gotta burn the coil and replace the wick.  So be it.

Of the three Cyclops juices I have, 2 are clear and Artemis has a very light color.  And after 2 full tanks, the cotton is CLEAN.  Like, no burns, no nothin.  Wash it out and use it in a hospital clean.  Shockingly clean.

But after just 5-6 ML of these juices - all three, mind you - I start getting horrible and I mean HORRIBLE burnt coil/wick/dry hit effect.  I open it up - wick is fine, coil is dark but looks fine?  Re wet the wick to make sure it wasn't dry, reassemble, take a hit - BLECHGAGOMGPUKE.  Take it apart.  The coil that was "dark", upon very close inspection, has a weird tar like substance all up in it.  Car guys - it looks EXACTLY like bearing grease, that greyish silvery black fills in the gaps smooth look.  But when you go to wipe it, it's flakey.  And whatever this residue is, it's the culprit - once I clean it off, everything's good.

Note - the wick is still clean as a whistle.  This crap is on the outside of the coil only.

Note - my daily juice leaves WAY more crud behind, but it doesn't taste like burning hell until after a couple days, and even then it's a slow "hmm, better take care of that soon" process.  This stuff, it's like "that hit tasted kinda weird". *next puff* "OMG I'M DYING MY LUNGS ARE ON FIRE".  And this is happening in like, 1.5-2 tanks worth of vaping.  It's horrible.

All three flavors did this.  At first I thought it was an anomaly, maybe I didn't clean the coil well enough or something.  Second time, I thought mabe I hadn't wicked properly.  Third time - okay, this is weird, and it's definitely from the juice.

Ran a control - went through a tank of my daily stuff, and then added some Athena without changing the wick.  By the end of that tank the death taste was back.  I'm now on a fresh coil and a fresh wick and a clean tank of Eros.  I fully expect to see this crap forming on the coil by the end of this tank, but I"ll report back either way.

Anyone know what this could be..?

I have now noted that after one full tank - roughly 3.5 ML - of Eros, the gunk is beginning to form in the center of the coil.  No death taste yet, but I know it's coming.  Started with a completely clean deck, new coil, and new OC wick.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
07-05-2015 02:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
VivaDiego138 Offline

Likes Given: 1
RE: Juice problem.
Sounds like its time to expand the flavor horizons.
07-05-2015 07:16 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes VivaDiego138's post:
stickle (05-07-2015)
stickle Offline

Likes Given: 29
(07-05-2015 07:16 PM)VivaDiego138 Wrote:  Sounds like its time to expand the flavor horizons.
As long as he expands in the direction of VANILLA CUSTARD !!he will be in heaven, but alive !.

BTW, I discovered why it's usually only dead people that go to heaven. It's because when you are dead it's too late to ask for your money back.
07-05-2015 08:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes stickle's post:
Michael (05-07-2015)
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,341
Not sure if you saw what I posted on the other thread, but it's probably something to do with the flavors they use. VG, PG and nicotine will all act the same no matter what the juice is, so the only thing left to blame must be the flavoring. I'm not sure as to specifics about why it would do that, but there must be something in the flavoring that doesn't vaporize, so it gets left behind and burns. 
07-05-2015 10:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Cloudwalker Offline

Likes Given: 3
Do you use regular Kanthal coils?
07-05-2015 10:26 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Kanthol coils, same Kanthol I've been using for months.  Organic cotton wicks, same stuff I've been using for months.

Vanilla Custard doesn't work for me, I haven't found a vanilla flavor that I like yet.  My Coconut/light chocolate/creme de menthe mix that is my daily blend is plenty heavenly, lol.  These aren't my usual juice, I generally vape Pink Spot Vapors juice exclusively.  I received these samples from the Vape Summit.

I hear ya' on the flavoring Michael, but that's just it - these three flavors don't have flavors in common, but all three are doing it.  

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 08:06 PM by Almost Jaded.)
08-05-2015 12:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (05-08-2015)
VivaDiego138 Offline

Likes Given: 1
Quote:I hear ya' on the flavoring Michael, but that's just it - these three flavors don't have flavors in common, but all three are doing it.
This sounds more like a quality in manufacturing problem. Higher grade ejuice makers tend to use better quality PG,VG, & Nic. I am not saying I know what what supplier they are using, but it is possible for some vendors to cut corners and use a lesser quality item to increase their bottom line.
08-05-2015 05:29 PM
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,341
Just to clarify, I meant maybe there's something in the flavors they use, like a bonding agent or something, not the actual flavors themselves. It's entirely possible that their flavors are all from the same manufacturer and contain the same basic chemicals as preservatives, bonding agents, that kind of thing. Though I don't really know how flavorings are made so it's a shot in the dark, but it seems to me that there shouldn't be much variation in the PG or VG. But as Diego said, it could also be the other things, I'm really just kind of taking a logical guess here lol
08-05-2015 06:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,032
Again just a guess. I wonder if it is a sweetener like ethyl maltol or stevia. Or what it got dissolved in before adding to the juice.

Something like HFCS might have those effects but should have no place in vaping.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
08-05-2015 07:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (05-09-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Well they don't claim to be "all natural", but they do claim a level 7 clean room and "only the highest quality ingredients".

Whatever - when these three bottles are gone, I'll just go back to PSV, problem solved, lol.  

08-05-2015 08:08 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (05-09-2015)