Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is vapor production same - no matter how you get to 25 watts?
ghh3rd Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: Is vapor production same - no matter how you get to 25 watts?
Ok - while I have some smart folks on this thread - let me ask this.

I'm about to order some AW batteries from rtdvapor.  At first I was attracted to the 2000mah batteries because of their longer life.  Then I read that the AW18650 2000mah batts are only rated 10 amps... while the AW 18650 1600mah batts are rated 24 amps! 

I don't understand why the lower capacity battery has a much higher amp rating, but thought that although they have less mah they may be safer, especially in a DIY mechanical mod... and I'm willing to sacrifice some mah for an added level of safety.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks
04-05-2015 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
If you want the best batteries available, get yourself some Samsung 25R cells (here's a link to buy them from that site). 

I'm not very familiar with the AW ones you mentioned, but I know the very best cells available are the Samsung 25R and Sony VTC4. And on that site, the Samsung 25Rs are actually cheaper than the AW 1600mAh you mentioned. You are thinking correctly that the higher amp rating is most important, Samsung 25R cells are good for 20-25A, while the Sony VTC4 cells are good to about 30A. Other cells claim higher amp ratings, but they're all either (a) lying, or (b) using "pulse rating" instead of "continuous rating." Meaning, for example, a particular cell might be rated to 40A for a short burst, but immediately drops down to 15A if you hold the button longer than half a second. This is a dangerous way to rate cells, and any cell manufacturers who market them based on pulse ratings should be outlawed, as it can cause some serious problems.

So yeah, your best option would be the Samsung 25R. They're what I use in most of my mods, and I can personally vouch for their quality.
05-05-2015 02:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (05-05-2015)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,355
Normally, the higher the current output a cell can manage, the lower its capacity. Barring technological breakthroughs you get one at the expense of the other. 

With AW cells, if they are being sold on eBay, they are  fakes.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
05-05-2015 06:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Almost Jaded (05-05-2015)
Cloudwalker Offline

Likes Given: 3
Not to ninja your thread, but could someone talk a little about the voltage side of things? I use a Segelei 100W mod, I try to stay at the rated voltage of my batteries (3.7v), but find that I get a better (more flavorful) vape at higher voltage. Is this stressing my batteries?

edit:
I answered my own question with a little more searching on the forum.. the amperage rating is what matters for battery safety. Since my batteries are rated at 30A, I could go as high as 7V/100W on my 0.5 ohm build and still only be drawing 14A. I would never vape that hot anyway, but at least I know I'm not going to blow up my batteries.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 07:43 PM by Cloudwalker.)
05-05-2015 07:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Cloudwalker's post:
Almost Jaded (05-05-2015), Michael (05-05-2015)
Cman Offline

Likes Given: 166
(04-05-2015 10:13 PM)ghh3rd Wrote:  Ok - while I have some smart folks on this thread - let me ask this.

I'm about to order some AW batteries from rtdvapor.  At first I was attracted to the 2000mah batteries because of their longer life.  Then I read that the AW18650 2000mah batts are only rated 10 amps... while the AW 18650 1600mah batts are rated 24 amps! 

I don't understand why the lower capacity battery has a much higher amp rating, but thought that although they have less mah they may be safer, especially in a DIY mechanical mod... and I'm willing to sacrifice some mah for an added level of safety.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks
I only buy AW 18350 cells because they are by far the best available , AW batteries are the most counterfeited in the World today for a reason , they have been considered the very best you can get but the key word is authentic .

Luckily for you,  RTD vapor is one place that sells authentic for sure, it's where i buy mine.   There are actually a ton of legit vendors selling counterfeited AW's and don't even know it.

I don't use AW's for my 18650's though , the Samsung, LG and Sony's do a fine enough job there and are cheaper , you can contact AW himself on the "Candlepower forums",  he has an account under the "AW" name and will tell you everything you need to know about them and will also tell you if the place that is selling them is on his verified vendor list.

Most are not .
05-05-2015 09:03 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,355
IMO AW cells are overpriced for what they offer. They are rewrapped Chinese cells. Like many of the mods here, I'm a CPF veteran. A banned one in my case.

You are aware that you are only allowed to talk about products there if their vendors give money to its incredibly grasping owner. Many of us here are veterans of BLF which got founded as CPF's owner killed off all the affordable lights stuff there as the Chinese manufacturers didn't care to hand over money to CPF.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
05-05-2015 10:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
BOB (05-06-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(05-05-2015 07:15 PM)Cloudwalker Wrote:  Not to ninja your thread, but could someone talk a little about the voltage side of things? I use a Segelei 100W mod, I try to stay at the rated voltage of my batteries (3.7v), but find that I get a better (more flavorful) vape at higher voltage. Is this stressing my batteries?

edit:
I answered my own question with a little more searching on the forum.. the amperage rating is what matters for battery safety. Since my batteries are rated at 30A, I could go as high as 7V/100W on my 0.5 ohm build and still only be drawing 14A. I would never vape that hot anyway, but at least I know I'm not going to blow up my batteries.
As you noted, the amp ratings are what really matters. But a separate answer is that the Sigelei has the cells wired in series, meaning that if it were unregulated, it would combine the two cells' voltage, for a total output of 8.4V at max charge (since one cell at max puts out 4.2V). Just a helpful tidbit Smile 
05-05-2015 10:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply