Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Introduction and questions (newbie)
vaporcloud Offline

Likes Given: 4
Introduction and questions (newbie)
Hello everyone - I wanted to say hello and thank you for welcoming to the message board.  Some background on me -- I am about to turn 44 years old, male living in the USA.  I have never smoked anything (my mom smoked menthols all my life up until about 8 years ago when she quit) and my dad still smokes an occasional cigar.  Growing up, I despised the smell of the menthol cig smoke but loved the smell of the cigar smoke (I know most people are the opposite, right?).  Well, over the past few years I have been having vivid dreams wherein I am smoking--and, when I awaken, I am craving a cigarette even though I have never had one.  Moreover, recently, I have been diagnosed with colitis (digestive/colon issues (TMI?)) and have been doing a ton of research about alleviating my symptoms.  Apparently, nicotine is one of the ways in which these symptoms can be alleviated.  As such, I have looked into vaping as an alternative to cigarettes.  Now, once again, I will reiterate that I have never smoked anything in my life so I am not sure I would even know the proper way to vape.  However, I am looking to give it a try.  My questions are as follows:
(1) I have researched and believe the following to be true: all-in-one vaporizers are the easiest to use but might not give you the most flavor - is that true?
(2) it is better to get a glass atomizer as it affects the flavor the least? and
(3) the battery and coil are the most important parts?

If you could all give me a recommendation on what type setup to get (include links if you possibly can) for me so I get the most flavor without harshness

Finally, I have noticed the smallest dosage of nicotine available is 3mg/mL -- are there any e-liquids that have 2 or even 1?

Thank you so much in advance.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 03:48 PM by vaporcloud.)
24-05-2016 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
I Vape, Therefore I Squonk
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,579
RE: Introduction and questions (newbie)
Michael, a member here, has some great write-ups and will offer some great advice, perfect for those with little knowledge of vaping that want to learn more. We could all tell you many things, far more than you'd care to know at this point in time.

I will say that I am really glad you've decided to use vaping rather than smoking. Much, much, much, much more healthy choice, there. Welcome aboard!
24-05-2016 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (05-24-2016), Michael (05-24-2016)
vaporcloud Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome - I read the write up but still confused about what goes with what:
tanks
atomizers
coils

is the coil already in the atomizer? I have also read that new technology has done away with coils?  This is just becoming information overload - basically looking for the best flavor, safest vaping setup under $200
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 04:25 PM by vaporcloud.)
24-05-2016 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Whitesoxfan2579 Offline

Likes Given: 197
I'm currently using the Vapeberri 40w mod and with that little unit the rechargeable battery is included in the complete kit. Only thing you need to add is the juice. And, replace the screw-in rechangeable coil every 7-10 days. This setup cost me under $100.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 04:26 PM by Whitesoxfan2579.)
24-05-2016 04:25 PM
TinWhisker Offline
I Vape, Therefore I Squonk
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,579
Vaping gear varies widely, so there's not really one answer. But, a basic breakdown-

The 'mod' is the device that contains the batteries. This is the part you hold in your hand and use to trigger the atomizing of the juice. The atomizer sits on top of the mod and contains the juice, coils, wicking, and the tank (note, not all atomizers have tanks, and those types are generally used by more advanced users)

Mods and atomizers are not disposable, but coils and wicks are. For a new vaper starting out, a disposable coil is recommended to keep things simple and help ease into the habit. You can make your own coils and mount/wick them yourself, but I'd hold off on that until you get further along into the hobby and understand it better.

Almost Jaded and Michael are excellent at recommending complete setups, especially for beginning vapers. They will certainly be along soon with more information.
24-05-2016 04:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Michael (05-24-2016)
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,818
Welcome to TVF!

Keep Calm and Vape On!
24-05-2016 05:03 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,291
I'll be happy to make recommendations, but if all you need is nicotine - have you considered a patch..?

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
24-05-2016 05:16 PM
vaporcloud Offline

(24-05-2016 05:16 PM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  I'll be happy to make recommendations, but if all you need is nicotine - have you considered a patch..?
I have considered patches/lozenges/gums but thought vaping might be fun and flavorful - do you recommend against me trying it?  Please be honest
24-05-2016 05:29 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 6,888
Hey vc, welcome.

There are juices from 1.5mg, some b&m shops will also mix it as you like.
The best flavour usually comes front the smallest atomizer that has the coils close to the mouthpiece and airflow direct to the coil, there are several examples but i'll leave them out for tmi reasons.
Glass is better as some juices can craze plastic ones and does taste fresher imo.
Battery and coils are important, but to perform well they'll need to be part of a good complete package.

Have a quick read of the faq section to familiarise yourself with vaping equipment and how it's used, once you know what it is you want from a vape it'll be easier to recommend somthing.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
24-05-2016 05:30 PM
vaporcloud Offline

(24-05-2016 05:30 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Hey vc, welcome.

There are juices from 1.5mg, some b&m shops will also mix it as you like.
The best flavour usually comes front the smallest atomizer that has the coils close to the mouthpiece and airflow direct to the coil, there are several examples but i'll leave them out for tmi reasons.
Glass is better as some juices can craze plastic ones and does taste fresher imo.
Battery and coils are important, but to perform well they'll need to be part of a good complete package.

Have a quick read of the faq section to familiarise yourself with vaping equipment and how it's used, once you know what it is you want from a vape it'll be easier to recommend somthing.
I read through the FAQ section and basically want a recommendation for the best setup under 200 that will give smoothest flavor and delivery since I am new to this
24-05-2016 05:38 PM