Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intro & information about my research
dan_todd Offline

Likes Given: 10
Intro & information about my research
Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel, and I'm currently undertaking psychology honours with Central Queensland University in Australia (I completed a Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences with an accredited major in psychology at Monash in 2012). My supervisor Matt has a PhD in psychology, and the project has received ethics approval from CQU. This research is unfunded and has no commercial affiliations whatsoever. Admittedly, I don't vape myself, but became extremely interested in vaping from reading and hearing about people vaping in an effort to stop smoking, and thinking about family and friends that have struggled to quit in the past. I want to understand the patterns of vaping, including the degree to which vaping can effectively substitute for a cigarette-based nicotine habit, the number of vapers trying to wean themselves off nicotine versus those happy with a safer medium to maintain a nicotine habit, and the survey asks questions about this. As part of this, I have been working on developing a questionnaire that could eventually allow users (and researchers) to assess vapers’ nicotine dependence. The questionnaire includes what is essentially a modified Fagerstrom Test for Nictotine Dependence (which many of you will no doubt have heard of), but with questions more relevant to vaping. 

I'm hoping that the work may be published in an academic journal and it will be included in my thesis write-up. All data collected will be totally anonymous. I have read and seen that you have been asked to participate in a bit of research recently. I know that many of you will be thinking "another survey!", but if I can firstly say that it is designed to be quite brief (hopefully 5-10 mins to complete, depending on your smoking history) and not answer all of the questions in one survey, and has had an actual vaper's input. Secondly, if you have questions or feedback, I am here to take them (as is my supervisor). I can see that some other studies have dropped a link, and are then never seen again. I have been on these forums for a number of months, and will actually respond! Finally, you will be welcome to see the summary of results in around October when I complete my work (a link is provided at the completion of the questionnaire, or ask me for it anytime - even if you haven't participated).

The survey and a detailed information page are available at https://cqu.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/dantodd/vaping/

Apologies for the long into, but I wanted to cover off some of the most important points. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Thanks for your time.
Daniel
--In the interests of full disclosure, I will post this intro on a few of the forums. Apologies to anyone who has now read it more than once!
09-07-2015 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,355
RE: Intro & information about my research
Done. Good luck with the work

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
09-07-2015 11:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
dan_todd (07-09-2015)
Finster Offline

Likes Given: 36
I took it but it looks like all the others. Some of the same questions worded identical also.

[Image: 1428256800_20_1_USD_5_default.png]
09-07-2015 11:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finster's post:
dan_todd (07-09-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
After your survey, maybe you can participate as a member to our forum?
Welcome to TVFSmile Glad we could help you.
09-07-2015 11:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whiskey's post:
dan_todd (07-09-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Done. You were right, that was a short survey! I'm impressed, most vaping surveys are longer but it seems you hit all the important questions without making me waste an hour clicking yes or no. 

Good luck with your project, and I hope you find what all of us here already know: vaping is a life-changing tool and a fun hobby that kicks ash Wink 
09-07-2015 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
dan_todd (07-09-2015)
dan_todd Offline

(09-07-2015 11:27 AM)Don Wrote:  Done. Good luck with the work
Many thanks Don Smile

(09-07-2015 11:37 AM)Finster Wrote:  I took it but it looks like all the others. Some of the same questions worded identical also.
Thanks Finster! You are correct about some of the questions being worded identically, as the questions derived from the Fagerstrom test were intentionally identical as this is a well validated and reliable measure that is commonly used. The main difference is in the vaping related questions, for which the wording was changed so they were more vaping relevant - and then I'll be able to explore the differences and similarities between the two. Hopefully this vaping version can then be used and further tested by other researchers, but also by vapers themselves to assess their nicotine usage. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to participate. Cheers, Dan Smile

(09-07-2015 11:42 AM)Whiskey Wrote:  After your survey, maybe you can participate as a member to our forum?
Welcome to TVFSmile Glad we could help you.
Thanks Whiskey, everyone's help is most appreciated! Don't worry, I'll be sticking around for a while yet!!! Wink
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 11:41 PM by dan_todd.)
09-07-2015 11:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes dan_todd's post:
Michael (07-13-2015)
dan_todd Offline

(09-07-2015 01:00 PM)Michael Wrote:  Done. You were right, that was a short survey! I'm impressed, most vaping surveys are longer but it seems you hit all the important questions without making me waste an hour clicking yes or no. 

Good luck with your project, and I hope you find what all of us here already know: vaping is a life-changing tool and a fun hobby that kicks ash Wink 
Thanks very much Michael! Indeed, keeping it super short was very intentional. I've seen how much research has been thrown at the vaping community recently (because it's so interesting of course), and whilst it meant that not everything could be asked or explored in detail we would have enough data to see how people are using it and the success that they are having! I love how much passion vapers have for vaping and customising it to work best for them and that many have come a long way from the cigalike days. Cheers, Dan Smile
09-07-2015 11:45 PM
Michael (07-13-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,292
Welcome Dan, I'm glad we're able to help you out somewhat.. and thanks for introducing yourself and officially asking permission prior to posting the survey Drinks
10-07-2015 07:01 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Spasmod's post:
dan_todd (07-10-2015), Michael (07-13-2015)
dan_todd Offline

(10-07-2015 07:01 AM)Spasmod Wrote:  Welcome Dan, I'm glad we're able to help you out somewhat.. and thanks for introducing yourself and officially asking permission prior to posting the survey Drinks

Thanks very much Spasmod (and thanks for allowing me to post)! Everyone who is able to respond is helping me out massively, so I'm very grateful. Cheers, Dan 
10-07-2015 08:53 AM
Michael (07-13-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,183
Hi Dan. Welcome to TVF. Done.. short and sweet good luck with it Good

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
10-07-2015 09:02 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
dan_todd (07-12-2015)