Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In all actuality
Nt3N53 Offline

Likes Given: 44
In all actuality
I have gotten good replies from multiple people on here about coils. I bought a bunch of SS different gauges. What is the pros and cons of SS, Kanthal, Nichrome, Titanium and all the rest. I would like to mix and match with coils but can only do some materials with TC Any advice for a newbie that is trying to someday be on the other end giving advice. Thank You
17-11-2016 02:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Online
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,018
RE: In all actuality
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-FAQ...d-my-coils

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-Ohm...and-safety

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-FAQ...s-TC-Guide

These should get you started. I BEAT BIBS TO IT

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
17-11-2016 02:51 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like paulS's post:
Chum (11-17-2016), gentlydoingit* (11-17-2016), Michael (11-17-2016), Nt3N53 (11-17-2016), TinWhisker (11-17-2016), Umi (11-17-2016)
Nt3N53 Offline

(17-11-2016 02:51 AM)paulS Wrote:  http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-FAQ...d-my-coils

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-Ohm...and-safety

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-FAQ...s-TC-Guide

These should get you started. I BEAT BIBS TO IT

Thanks alot I appreciate will read now.
17-11-2016 02:54 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Nt3N53's post:
Chum (11-17-2016), TinWhisker (01-21-2018)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Bottom line:

Nickel has the best temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) for TC. Basically that means TC will be more accurate with nickel coils. 

Titanium has good TCR too. Titanium is a bit safer than nickel, since it requires much higher temperatures to make nasty fumes. Nickel can oxidize at relatively low temperatures, which is not good. 

Stainless steel is ok for TC, if you do it right. It's safer than titanium or nickel, and has a cleaner flavor. It can also be safely used in power mode. The downside is that it is very low resistance, which can make it a bit harder to work with if you want coils above 0.2 ohms or so. 

Nichrome is the OG vaping wire. Only works in power mode, has lower resistance than kanthal, and personally I don't like the flavor as much. But it turns pretty colors when it's heated up, so that's cool. 

Kanthal is the most common wire used in vaping. It's easy to work with, safe at high temperatures, and has good flavor. Kanthal is basically the "all-round" wire that's good at everything (except TC) but doesn't excel at any one thing in particular. 

Mixing wires is not recommended for TC. If you made a coil out of nickel and SS (for example) then you'd have to figure out the new TCR and set your mod accordingly, and it might not be as accurate as doing just one kind of wire. Mixing wires is definitely for very advanced TC users only. 

But you can mix wires for use in power mode. But only SS, nichrome and/or kanthal. Ni and Ti aren't safe in power mode even if they're mixed with other wires. But since SS, nichrome and kanthal are all safe to use in power mode, and power mode doesn't need TCR since it's not using temperature, then you can mix those with no problems. Right now I'm using a fused clapton with one kanthal core, one SS core, and nichrome wraps. It can make for a very interesting vape, since the different qualities of the wires used affect flavor/resistance/etc. 

Bottom bottom line: if you're using TC, start with SS since it's safer if you screw up. If you're using power mode, start with kanthal since it's a "jack of all trades" wire that's good at everything. If you want better flavor with power mode, use SS because it's awesome. If you only want to use one type of wire, SS is the way to go since it works in both power mode and TC, and also has great flavor and low resistance for huge clouds. 
17-11-2016 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Michael's post:
Chuck-Drl (11-17-2016), Fatboy (11-17-2016), gentlydoingit* (11-18-2016), Nt3N53 (11-17-2016), paulS (11-18-2016), TinWhisker (11-17-2016)
Nt3N53 Offline

(17-11-2016 06:33 PM)Michael Wrote:  Bottom line:

Nickel has the best temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) for TC. Basically that means TC will be more accurate with nickel coils. 

Titanium has good TCR too. Titanium is a bit safer than nickel, since it requires much higher temperatures to make nasty fumes. Nickel can oxidize at relatively low temperatures, which is not good. 

Stainless steel is ok for TC, if you do it right. It's safer than titanium or nickel, and has a cleaner flavor. It can also be safely used in power mode. The downside is that it is very low resistance, which can make it a bit harder to work with if you want coils above 0.2 ohms or so. 

Nichrome is the OG vaping wire. Only works in power mode, has lower resistance than kanthal, and personally I don't like the flavor as much. But it turns pretty colors when it's heated up, so that's cool. 

Kanthal is the most common wire used in vaping. It's easy to work with, safe at high temperatures, and has good flavor. Kanthal is basically the "all-round" wire that's good at everything (except TC) but doesn't excel at any one thing in particular. 

Mixing wires is not recommended for TC. If you made a coil out of nickel and SS (for example) then you'd have to figure out the new TCR and set your mod accordingly, and it might not be as accurate as doing just one kind of wire. Mixing wires is definitely for very advanced TC users only. 

But you can mix wires for use in power mode. But only SS, nichrome and/or kanthal. Ni and Ti aren't safe in power mode even if they're mixed with other wires. But since SS, nichrome and kanthal are all safe to use in power mode, and power mode doesn't need TCR since it's not using temperature, then you can mix those with no problems. Right now I'm using a fused clapton with one kanthal core, one SS core, and nichrome wraps. It can make for a very interesting vape, since the different qualities of the wires used affect flavor/resistance/etc. 

Bottom bottom line: if you're using TC, start with SS since it's safer if you screw up. If you're using power mode, start with kanthal since it's a "jack of all trades" wire that's good at everything. If you want better flavor with power mode, use SS because it's awesome. If you only want to use one type of wire, SS is the way to go since it works in both power mode and TC, and also has great flavor and low resistance for huge clouds. 
Damn Thank U That's the type of reply I wanted I do appreciate that.
17-11-2016 06:56 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Nt3N53's post:
Fatboy (11-17-2016), Michael (11-17-2016), Whiskeywarrior (11-26-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,816
He's right on. SS316 is my wire of choice, for all the above stated reasons. Works great for me in TC mode and in power, and is the cleanest tasting wire I have ever tried. (Tried Kanthal, Titanium, and SS316).
17-11-2016 06:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Michael (11-17-2016), Nt3N53 (11-17-2016)
Nt3N53 Offline

(17-11-2016 06:58 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  He's right on. SS316 is my wire of choice, for all the above stated reasons. Works great for me in TC mode and in power, and is the cleanest tasting wire I have ever tried. (Tried Kanthal, Titanium, and SS316).
Thanks, atleast I bought the right stuff but what to do with the titanium? Probably just make seperate coils with it, I guess
17-11-2016 07:03 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nt3N53's post:
Michael (11-17-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,546
(17-11-2016 06:58 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  He's right on. SS316 is my wire of choice, for all the above stated reasons. Works great for me in TC mode and in power, and is the cleanest tasting wire I have ever tried. (Tried Kanthal, Titanium, and SS316).

You'll haven't tried Ni?
17-11-2016 07:26 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,816
(17-11-2016 07:03 PM)Nt3N53 Wrote:  
Thanks, atleast I bought the right stuff but what to do with the titanium? Probably just make seperate coils with it, I guess

Yes, Ti works well in TC; it's resistance change is a lot higher than SS so it's more accurate, but the flavor isn't as clean. Build coils with Ti and not a mix and it will be fine, but only for TC.

FB, I haven't tried Ni yet no.

To reiterate, I don't 'hate' any wire, I just find that SS316 is the best out there, for me anyway.
17-11-2016 07:34 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (11-17-2016), Michael (11-17-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,546
(17-11-2016 07:34 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 07:03 PM)Nt3N53 Wrote:  

Yes, Ti works well in TC; it's resistance range is a lot higher than SS so it's more accurate, but the flavor isn't as clean. Build coils with Ti and not a mix and it will be fine, but only for TC.

FB, I haven't tried Ni yet no.

To reiterate, I don't 'hate' any wire, I just find that SS316 is the best out there, for me anyway.

This is so cool, I've never tried SS but have just run out of Ni ribbon and 24g. I was going to post it on my return in the "what did I learn" section......don't start a Clapton wrap without making sure you have enough wire......I ran out of ribbon long before it was even enough for a 4 wrap coil.... Sad

When I get back home was going to look for larger batches....100' goes quick.... but now may pu some SS to try it.
17-11-2016 07:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
Michael (11-17-2016), TinWhisker (02-15-2017)