Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Idea: Archery string server to wrap coils. Comments?
troxelb Offline

Likes Given: 0
Idea: Archery string server to wrap coils. Comments?
I've done a little archery in the past and I have a string server that is designed to wrap the bow string very tightly and consistently to protect the string from the knocks on the arrows.

I've used it to "serve" the bow strings before and I was surprised how easy it was.

I'm thinking of finding some 3mm rod to use as the "string" and then attempting to use the string server to tightly wrap the coil.

The problems I can see popping up would be the fact that to help hold tension, the wire will need to be threaded through 3 holes in the string server.  I'm not sure if the kanthal wires can take that kind of bending and tension.

When I have a bit of time I'll give it a go.

Of course, you might say that it isn't THAT hard to wrap coils.  I'm new at it and I'm just trying to brain-storm easier more consistent methods.

What do you think?
13-11-2013 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
RE: Idea: Archery string server to wrap coils. Comments?
Hi troxelb, welcome to the TVF family! Smile

I think you have definitely come to the right place as we do like to tinker and brainstorm new ideas, in fact we Love brainstorming!

Most of us here come from a flashlight modding background so we like our electronics tinkering. It would be great to see some pics to give us a general idea as I personally don't know a thing about archery so I don't have a mental image of what you describe.

Perhaps one or two of our members might know what you mean though Smile

Spas
13-11-2013 01:22 AM
troxelb Offline

(13-11-2013 01:22 AM)Here is a vid that shows it in action.  Skip to about 1:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fXYH8PKhAAfter more thought, I think it won't work very well.  I'm afraid that the kanthal wire will not take the tension that the nylon string that it was designed to use can take.  I'm still going to try though. Spasmod Wrote:  Hi troxelb, welcome to the TVF family! Smile

I think you have definitely come to the right place as we do like to tinker and brainstorm new ideas, in fact we Love brainstorming!

Most of us here come from a flashlight modding background so we like our electronics tinkering. It would be great to see some pics to give us a general idea as I personally don't know a thing about archery so I don't have a mental image of what you describe.

Perhaps one or two of our members might know what you mean though Smile

Spas
13-11-2013 01:27 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Oh yeah you know I had no clue they made those!! I'm stoked because a friend and I were talking about how to make a tool exactly like this for winding coils!

I think it'll be absolutely fine because the Kanthal wire is incredible strong and additionally, having the ability to adjust the tension makes it Very do-able.

Fantastic idea! Now.. where to get a string server Big Grin LOL
13-11-2013 01:38 AM
troxelb Offline

Well, I'll update after I give it a shot.  I just have to figure out how to spool the kanthal wire on the server.  I can just use the existing spool, but I'll have to unspool an entire spool of string.  I'll work on it...

Ummm...maybe you can find one at an archery store? ;-)  Seriously though, they're only about $10-15 online.  Probably easy enough to make if you have the correct parts lying around.
13-11-2013 01:42 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I'm looking forward to see how it goes, I think you could be on to a winner there.

Yep I've already found a Serving Tool in the UK for cheap as chips, it's the one in the video.. Awesome

It's the Out of the box thinking like this that creates brand new techniques and ideas. Thanks for sharing your lightbulb moment with us Smile
13-11-2013 02:06 AM
troxelb Offline

I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow.  Gotta find a 3mm rod or close to it though.  The drill bit I use now isn't long enough.

I've been having a little bit of a problem making coils.  I've seen a coil making jig video and I made a wood jig.  I just don't get how the guy in the video almost had a perfectly tight coil from just wrapping.  Mine look like big springs.  I use some tweezers and then close the coil up then heat and it works.  But I want to do it almost perfect from the start. 
When I was analyzing my issue, I remembered the string server from my archery days.  So I pulled it out and then posted this.

Thanks for your input!
13-11-2013 02:38 AM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Sounds like a good idea, troxelb!  Thanks for sharing it.  Until you get it working properly you will still have to wind your coils by hand.  I know you wrote that you do heat your coils after winding but have you heated the wire prior to wrapping the coils?  This anneals the wire taking away it's springiness so that it holds the shape of the coil.  After  wrapping the coil, but before removing it from the rod you wound it around, heat it one more time with the torch then quickly dunk it in water to hold the shape even better.

Let us know how it goes with the string server. Smile

Johnny
13-11-2013 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
troxelb Offline

I did forget to mention that I am heating up the wire first also.  

I did try to heat up the coil while it was on the drill bit, but the coils would not turn red.  The drill bit was too good of a heat sink.  Does the wire need to get red hot?

I did a small test last night with the string server.  I didn't have 3mm rod but I did have a larger (about 1/4") copper pipe that I tested it on.  It didn't work very well.  I'm hoping that when I actually use a 3mm rod that it will be a bit better.  I also need to practice.  I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for your input guys!
13-11-2013 04:16 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

The wire does need to glow red for the best results. Are you using a blowtorch to heat the wire ?

Quarter inch may be a little large in circumference, perhaps you could try a metal coat hanger if you have one.
13-11-2013 04:56 PM